Sodablaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Soda blasting is pretty safe.You could look into renting a set up and DIY the project.There is a kit out there that uses a pressure washer and is cleaner than the air powered units.No mask or breathing gear required with the pressure washing set up.If you're doing steel,there is a product that can be used on the water connections that slows flash rust.I'm going memory from a demo that I saw a few years ago at an auto shop,so I can't remember product names.A quick google search will turn up some leads.

Hi saintglenn, I`ve seen this done in Sydney. A guy arrived in a 3 ton truck fully enclosed fitted with the pressure gear,built a sealed tent around the boat, and went for it in protective gear in < half a day. Quiet, no mess, cost about 2.5K for a 36ft boat. It didn`t look like a DIY thing to me,but if good hire kits and advice are available there. maybe it is.Guess you`d need to know/control how much to take off. It seriously beats doing it by hand tools. BruceK

All paint stripping has requirements to capture the removed paint.

Not easy to do legally , so yards are reluctant.

If its your back yard , no problem.

Ya thanks i just read that. Lenme ask, it doesnt say anything about pressure washers...

All paint stripping has requirements to capture the removed paint.

My understanding of the advantage of soda blasting is that you can capture the blasting residue, wash the soda out of the paint residue for disposal and flush the baking soda down the drain. Of course that supposes that you can recover the residue from the blasting process. Compare that to sand blasting where the combined sand and paint residue becomes a disposal problem and you see the advantage of soda blasting.

If you need to Sodablast I doubt pressure wash will do, unless you`ve got old a/f build up which has lost adhesion and coming off in sheets, in which case a scraper may be enough.I`ve never used a heat gun on a/f, be careful about vapors given off.A friend and I spent 2 days on our backs machine dry sanding a/f, awful job. Check out JohnP`s account of manually removing old a/f, I think it`s a thread under Halvorsen;" never again" was his conclusion, mine too.
The advantage of an expert with the fitted up truck and tent system is the crud gets collected, the boat and area are left in good order.
Someone sandblasted a boat next to mine in a shed,the mess and noise was unbelievable. BruceK

We have a local guy who uses crushed Pecan shells and it takes the paint and will not damage the gelcoat. its about $10 per foot and when its done he takes the tarps rolls them up and puts the paint into drums to be sent to the haz waste company. very cool i had no idea pecan shells would take the paint off of a boat like that.

The nicest is blasting with frozen CO2.

No harm to substrate and the CO2 evaporates , so it doesn't have to be sent 5000 miles for storage , just the removed paint needs to go.

We have a local guy who uses crushed Pecan shells and it takes the paint and will not damage the gelcoat. its about $10 per foot and when its done he takes the tarps rolls them up and puts the paint into drums to be sent to the haz waste company. very cool i had no idea pecan shells would take the paint off of a boat like that.

$10 a foot? Around here most blasting jobs are around $50 - $100 a foot...that's a great deal!

Enough said! Im going old school:) scraper and elbow grease!

Just did mine all the way through the gel and matt layer underneath...in some areas even down through 2-3 layers of the roving too.

I used a 4 in disk grinder with the 7 inch soft pad...plan on going through a couple grinders from the fiberglass dust...

Just getting the paint off would have been a dream!

Back
Top Bottom