Interesting Defever 48

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes it does but when you see that it usually means there it's a lot of grief for the money. The listing contains very little detail and as I recall Florida is a place for cheap boats. Generally a weak market.
Likely the only reason anybody looking at this boat will be that they are of the opinion that the owner is so dumb they don't know it's worth or that something bad or unfortunate has happened to them and the've got to dump the boat fast. Or they're trying to keep the wife from getting it in the upcoming divorce. We all have the dream of stumbling into such a deal but these things are rare and I'll bet that DeFever is no deal at all.

No ER photos is often a tipoff to why a boat's a bargain. ...and cover up that Bayliner fabric on the helm and salon seats!
:facepalm::facepalm:

Does the galley come laid out like this from the factory?Seems cramped on such a large boat.
3450405_0_220320111742_2.jpg

Am I the only one that thinks this space could be used more productively?
3450405_0_220320111742_6.jpg

No ER photos is often a tipoff to why a boat's a bargain. ...and cover up that Bayliner fabric on the helm and salon seats!
:facepalm::facepalm:

Yep, gotta get that Bayliner fabric out of the salon!!!

Here's a photo of my Bayliners salon, Yuck!!! I dont know how I can live with myself with such icky fabrics! :banghead: :)

salon.JPG

I thought we got over that "Bayliner" attitude stuff. And Ksanders, your "boat" is drop dead gorgeous. It looks so soft I would think one's voice would get absorbed in all the carpets and padding. In contrast my salon deck/floor is painted plywood. Perhaps the right kind of carpet would antinuate the sound/noise better than just plywood. I spent a bit of time on a boat like yours and liked it a lot. The boats name "Jericho" in the PNW. The wheelhouse was, as the girls say, "to die for". Keep on B-Line'in.

I thought we got over that "Bayliner" attitude stuff. And Ksanders, your "boat" is drop dead gorgeous. It looks so soft I would think one's voice would get absorbed in all the carpets and padding. In contrast my salon deck/floor is painted plywood. Perhaps the right kind of carpet would antinuate the sound/noise better than just plywood. I spent a bit of time on a boat like yours and liked it a lot. The boats name "Jericho" in the PNW. The wheelhouse was, as the girls say, "to die for". Keep on B-Line'in.

Thanks!!! I do get a kick out of the whole "bayliner" thing.

Now that there are two active members with Bayliners, picking on them just isn't as much fun anymore.

Kinda like in junior high when you realized too late that the short fat kid you'd been picking on was a kung fu champion. :eek:

This might sound funny but the upholstery on my boat is a little too "soft" for my liking. We bring our dogs onboard and I'm always covering it up to keep it nice.

Last edited:
Interesting indeed. I like DeFever designs but this one is interesting. I like the covered side decks and cockpits of europa and pilothouse designs, but I think it looks out-of-place on an aft cabin.

To me the price doesn't seem to be abnormally low to suspect that something is wrong with it. The price probably reflects the boats age and the economy. I would guess that this boat is neither a cherry or a junker.

I thought we got over that "Bayliner" attitude stuff.

Right... So let's start raging on SeaRay's. I don't think any member own a Sea Ray. Gosh, those boats really suck. The interweb tubes say so. :lol::rofl:;)

'

Right... So let's start raging on SeaRay's. I don't think any member own a Sea Ray.

I think you're wrong about that! How about Budd's Outlet? Anymore?

Last edited:
I always thought Sea Rays existed so Bayliner owners had someone to feel superior to.

That forward cabin layout on the 48 Defever is a loser for us. I've seen a similar layout on a 4788 Bayliner and I hated it there too. The galley looks like a standard Defever mid-cabin layout. Despite what some of us might like to believe, the pricing is likely realistic - that's a fairly well equipped boat but the electronics are old. When we were looking I didn't see a 48 layout that I liked. If we ever upsize it will likely be to a 44+5.

Excuse reversion to thread, the Defever looks tired. For a start the exterior is really dull and I doubt it`s just the pics, minimum is a full polish, more likely a respray, which won`t be cheap. Inside layout is not so bad for a family,there is a good cabin for the adults and you can stash the progeny in the vee cabin. But I doubt it`s a bargain. BruceK

I always thought Sea Rays existed so Bayliner owners had someone to feel superior to.

Thats funny! Actually you'll probably never hear a Bayliner owner trying to feel superior to anyone. We just want to have fun in out boats. Its very rare to find a Bayliner owner knocking another boat brand. All boats are good! I say this all in jest because I know you really have to be kidding. :)

That forward cabin layout on the 48 Defever is a loser for us. I've seen a similar layout on a 4788 Bayliner and I hated it there too.

Actually the Defever 48 has the master aft.

The Bayliner 4788 has the master forward, completely different design.
The 4788 has a stateroom that has bunk beds but thats where the similarities end.

Both are good designs (for those that like them) but the only real similarity is that they both are 48'

On the subject of the original topic of this thread. When we were looking at 48' boats $119K was on the low end price wise, but certainly not fire sale pricing. For a fair condition boat which the one in the ad looks to be $119K is really not all that cheap.

Last edited:
Actually the Defever 48 has the master aft.
I'm well aware of that. What I said was "That forward cabin layout on the 48 Defever is a loser for us." because it is IMHO a stupid waste of space chopping the forward area into 2 cabins.

The Bayliner 4788 has the master forward, completely different design.
The 4788 has a stateroom that has bunk beds but thats where the similarities end.

Well you should know because you have one but that's not how I remember the layout on the one we looked at. Evidently it wasn't a Bayliner.

Sorry I turned this into a Bayliner/Searay dissing thread. My comment was only directed at that horrible floral fabric that Bayliner seems to think their buyers want. I'd have thought that somewhere along the way they might have chosen a little more appropriate design.

ksanders says:
"$119K was on the low end price wise, but certainly not fire sale pricing."
Have you ever seen one cheaper? 75 to 90K? Perhaps I'm not well informed. I spent a lot of time on Yacht World but was shopping for smaller boats. Still seems very cheap to me and evidently John thought so Per the OP.

ksanders says:
"$119K was on the low end price wise, but certainly not fire sale pricing."
Have you ever seen one cheaper? 75 to 90K? Perhaps I'm not well informed. I spent a lot of time on Yacht World but was shopping for smaller boats. Still seems very cheap to me and evidently John thought so Per the OP.

When I was shopping for boats in the 45-50' range last summer I saw lots of 1970's to early 80's boats in that general price range and going up from there.

I specifically remember a pristine 48 Meridian (the 1970's one) for $125K that sold right away, and a 40 Willard for $50K that was a real project boat. Some were on Yachtworld, and some were on Craigslist.

So, my general feeling is that a "fair" condition 1970's to early 80's 40-50' boat will be listed in that price range. Ones listed higher tend to stay on the market forever.

Of course condition is everything and better condition boats tended to be listed higher, sometimes double or more that price.

BTW, I just did a TW search nationwide for trawlers or pilothouses in the 46-49' range and got pages of boats for <$100K

As far as brands go, I haven't seen the defevers being priced in general at a premium over other TT's of that era. Its all about condition in a 30-40 year old boat.

Last edited:
Sorry I turned this into a Bayliner/Searay dissing thread. My comment was only directed at that horrible floral fabric that Bayliner seems to think their buyers want. I'd have thought that somewhere along the way they might have chosen a little more appropriate design.

I agree some of the original fabrics I've seen from the 80's boats had some nasty patterns. :confused:

This still could be a good buy, for someone looking for a 48 Defever.

I kind of like the unique look of the boat. The price is only the asking price. Florida generally has more sellers willing to deal-- perhaps this one could be had for 75-85k.

A lot of Yachtworld prices are not as realistic as this one-so I think the owner is serious about selling.

JohnP

I went to look at a boat awhile back listed for X amount and after seeing the boat the broker made it clear it could be had for 1/2 X.

Dont worry KSANDERS, I moved up from a 3288. If I could have found a 45 or 47 for the price I paid for the Californian I would have jumped on it. While looking for boats last year I came across a 49 MT pilothouse that was a little tired looking but at a great price. When I called the broker thought there may be a fuel tank leak. Damn. Cosmetics are easy as long as mechanicals are sound.

Dont worry KSANDERS, I moved up from a 3288. If I could have found a 45 or 47 for the price I paid for the Californian I would have jumped on it. While looking for boats last year I came across a 49 MT pilothouse that was a little tired looking but at a great price. When I called the broker thought there may be a fuel tank leak. Damn. Cosmetics are easy as long as mechanicals are sound.

Thanks! I'm not too worried. The 4788 is a great boat, and just like any boat it has its pluses and minuses.

Its kinda funny, we just came off of a couple of nights on the boat a couple hours ago. There was a really nice Nordhavn 58 three slips over. Nice retired couple onboard.

They have spent this summer cruising around Alaska.

The funny thing is that our boat has been to many of the places in Alaska they went. Actually any of the larger boats in the harbor could do those things. It doesn't take a 2 million dollar boat to have fun.

What it takes is having the time, and the desire to explore.

So, I'm happy with my Bayliner. Its enough boat to do what I reasonably want to do. It also fits in nicely with 90%+ of the other boats in the harbor.

There's a sea ranger 47 thats been my slip mate all summer, and a Defever 45 a few slips down. Then there's the Navigator 48 next to the Defever. Except for the odd super expensive luxury yacht all of our boats are quite comperable.

Last edited:
Nordhavn 58 - do they exist? I've never seen one. Having been on many Bayliners, DeFevers and Nordhavns I agree that they all can be in the same place. But to say the experience on each is the same is kinda like saying my Buick is good as a BMW or my house in Queens is as good as the one I saw in the Hamptons.Now if only I could afford a Fleming 65 ---------!!

On the subject of DeFever 48s, they are marvelous heavy weather boats, with solid and thick GRP. There is lots about them to enjoy. Today many boats are being offered at give away prices because the market is so crummy. A good inspection or two will tell the tale.

Nordhavn 58 - do they exist? I've never seen one. Having been on many Bayliners, DeFevers and Nordhavns I agree that they all can be in the same place. But to say the experience on each is the same is kinda like saying my Buick is good as a BMW or my house in Queens is as good as the one I saw in the Hamptons.Now if only I could afford a Fleming 65 ---------!!

On the subject of DeFever 48s, they are marvelous heavy weather boats, with solid and thick GRP. There is lots about them to enjoy. Today many boats are being offered at give away prices because the market is so crummy. A good inspection or two will tell the tale.

Sorry, typo, Nordhavn 57

The concept was that at least for 95% of recreational boating areas in Alaska, any of our boats do just fine.

You do not need the heavy weather capabilities of a passagemaker for what (at least here in Alaska) people actually use their boats for.

Having spent time in Alaska I can only but agree there are plenty of times and places where most boats can enjoy the ambiance. When James Hamilton took ownership of his Nordhavn 52 two years ago the first big trip he took was a great test - out Juan Defuca and they followed the west coast on the outside all the way to Prince William Sound as I recall (posted on his website). He is an intrepid traveler for sure and this jaunt gave the 52 some real bona fides.

The bench mark boat for the Nordhavn Atlantic rally was the 57. It has good range and with its hull design certainly one of the faster performers in the Nordhavn line. I sure would have enjoyed the 57 in Alaska this summer as we crossed Dixon Entrance.

I sure would have enjoyed the 57 in Alaska this summer as we crossed Dixon Entrance.

Our Dixon Entrance crossing was like glass this time.

We had a days wait in Prince Rupert (really just an afternoon), for the weather to abate, but there's a couple of nice restrauants and plenty of "tourist" things to look at, so it was a good time.

I have done the complete inside passage with gulf crossing twice now, both times in Bayliners. Like any coastal cruiser you just need to watch the weather, and be prepared to stay put for a day or two.

Its really not what the boat can take, its what we're willing to suject our bodies to that makes a prudent go no go decision most of the time.

OK I think It's my turn. We own as you see in our avitar a DeFever48. We bought her in Lauderdale last spring and brought her to the Chesapeake. This year we have been on her since June9. We have been in Maine for two months. We have three teenagers. We always anchor out. This is my third trawler and as a broker I have been on probably over a hundred. We have enjoyed this summer so much we have decided to live aboard indefinitely. The "kids" love there staterooms. The head room is 7' in the salon. We have traveled over a thousand see miles and she is a ship. She weighs 30tons and with the Lehmans purring at 1400rpm she burns right at two gallons per hour. She is unbelievably solid under foot and will swallow up dozens of guest. Her low windage, high bow, deep forefoot and low center of gravity makes her a dream in the biggest of seas. With her weight and proper rudders she is a dream to dock. The galley is a kitchen regardless of the effects of the camera. She carries 1100g of fuel and 450water in her cavernous engine room.

OK I think It's my turn. We own as you see in our avitar a DeFever48. We bought her in Lauderdale last spring and brought her to the Chesapeake. This year we have been on her since June9. We have been in Maine for two months. We have three teenagers. We always anchor out. This is my third trawler and as a broker I have been on probably over a hundred. We have enjoyed this summer so much we have decided to live aboard indefinitely. The "kids" love there staterooms. The head room is 7' in the salon. We have traveled over a thousand see miles and she is a ship. She weighs 30tons and with the Lehmans purring at 1400rpm she burns right at two gallons per hour. She is unbelievably solid under foot and will swallow up dozens of guest. Her low windage, high bow, deep forefoot and low center of gravity makes her a dream in the biggest of seas. With her weight and proper rudders she is a dream to dock. The galley is a kitchen regardless of the effects of the camera. She carries 1100g of fuel and 450water in her cavernous engine room.

Appreciate your insight on the 48.

I think the design is great, really like the idea of 7' headroom in the salon.
I agree the photos on yachtworld, do not do her any justice.
She does appear like a small ship.
You have a great boat!
JohnP

John P,
Thanks! We are very impressed with our little ship. Sorry about all the typos in my post. How do you edit?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom