Help 10' jon boat motor ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

10jonboatman

Veteran Member
I have a 10' Jon boat that is rated for 3hp but I have a 1966 evinrude 6hp can I put that on and not brake my boat or flip it, I had a 3hp Johnson on it and it was slow but it locked up

Don't know why not. The first boat I actually owned was a 12' Sears aluminum skiff. I powered it with a 1978 Evinrude 6hp and had no problems at all. I have no idea what power the skiff was rated for.

Should not be a problem as long as the weight/balance is ok by you.
Many people I kknow put larger engines on that the boat is rated for.

I have a 10' Jon boat that is rated for 3hp but I have a 1966 evinrude 6hp can I put that on and not brake my boat or flip it, I had a 3hp Johnson on it and it was slow but it locked up

Your motor is 45lbs. A new 4 stroke 2.5hp Mercury is 40lbs. It won't hurt the boat one bit. With that said, you could potentially run into issues with control of the boat at wide open throttle. Be aware of the power your outboard will deliver.

6HP 2 stroke should do fine. Probably will plane it. You might need a tiller extension though to allow you to sit furthur forward for balance. How wide (@bottom not at @gunnels) is your Jon? Some really narrow, might be a tad unstable. Sounds like a small stream catfish boat extraordinaire.

If the boat is rated to a specific hp...your state may have laws against exceeding that rated hp. You may want t check because if ever stopped...some states have no sense of humor.

Capn Craig said:
6HP 2 stroke should do fine. Probably will plane it. You might need a tiller extension though to allow you to sit furthur forward for balance. How wide (@bottom not at @gunnels) is your Jon? Some really narrow, might be a tad unstable. Sounds like a small stream catfish boat extraordinaire.

At the top it's 48" bottom is little bit narrower, I always have a passenger in the front anyway.

psneeld said:
If the boat is rated to a specific hp...your state may have laws against exceeding that rated hp. You may want t check because if ever stopped...some states have no sense of humor.

I ride on a small river so I don't care, I have only seen I other motor boat in my life on this river it was a little Lund

But I won't like brake the back of my boat off? I'm replacing the transom board and adding 1"plywood to the back of the boat

Most 10 footers are rated for 5hp or 50lbs.I have an old Gamefisher jon boat that is rated for 5HP/50lbs.It's tiny compared to newer, post 70's, jon boats.I ran a 1980 5hp Gamefisher until they banned two strokes in my area.Now I run a Minnkota trolling motor.

Mine measures 9.9ft x 27in at the widest section across the bottom.
img_98740_0_e64a2620dce1f1d10afdf78cc16c61b9.jpg

http://www.tinboats.net/forum/

Greetings,
In addition to a possible ticket as mentioned by Mr. psneeld, your insurance may be void if you put more engine on than the manufacturer recommends. Could be financially devastating in an accident situation.

It's a mess, but here ya go Hoss:
img_98747_0_dc91bdbc7f0f93426daa68b23f016737.jpg

A jet ski motor mounted in a jon boat.

As noted elsewhere: Use at your own risk.

After you install trim tabs, let me know how it rides.

Assuming it's aluminum. I wouldn't worry about it. If it were to fail, the failure won't be a sudden thing. I would expect it to be in the form of rivits working loose, or fatigue cracks in the aluminum. These things will take a lot of use to manifest themselves. I would expect cracks to form in the upper corners between the transon and the sides. Fatigue accumulates over many, perhaps hundreds of hours. It is afterall only a six horse. Personally I would run it, use common sense, and watch for flexing of metal. Keep an eye on it, if after several years, it starts to show cracks, you can decide if its cheaper to get it TIG welded or throw it away and get a different boat. IF, it made of wood, disregrard all of the above. That's just my opinion, it's your decision. You bring the worms?

No way I could believe an old Evinrue 6 would tear the transom off.
And if it makes you feel better, scratch off the 6 and paint in a 3. (That will keep the water cops off your back.)

In my mind, (a very confused place), I see any boat that has been altered, as not having a specific horsepower rating. If it has been altered for your personal use based on your engineering, I don't see how the original Coast Guard hp rating could come into play as far as making your boat legal or not. I say do what you think is right, and test it a bit, then test it hard, and determine for yourself whether you have done the right thing.

An example comes to mind. My neighbor and I once shared a fence, and a love for boating, and a mutual friend who built boats. I bought a ten footer from our mutual friend, rated at fifteen horse, and did mount a 15 horse. My neighbor, thinking a little outside the box, looked upon this ten footer as more of a jet ski, and despite the CG 15hp rating, put on a 40 hp Yamaha 2 stroke, and drove from a console mounted amidship. The boat ran around 50 mph, with a fun factor of ten plus. I always wished I had HIS boat. :)

jleonard said:
No way I could believe an old Evinrue 6 would tear the transom off.
And if it makes you feel better, scratch off the 6 and paint in a 3. (That will keep the water cops off your back.)

Ok well I don't even have the tag on my boat for the cops to see its rated for a 3hp as what the average 10' Jon boat is rated for, from what I read on the Internet. It's a apache 10' Jon boat like I said no tag.

In my mind, (a very confused place), I see any boat that has been altered, as not having a specific horsepower rating. If it has been altered for your personal use based on your engineering, I don't see how the original Coast Guard hp rating could come into play as far as making your boat legal or not. I say do what you think is right, and test it a bit, then test it hard, and determine for yourself whether you have done the right thing.

An example comes to mind. My neighbor and I once shared a fence, and a love for boating, and a mutual friend who built boats. I bought a ten footer from our mutual friend, rated at fifteen horse, and did mount a 15 horse. My neighbor, thinking a little outside the box, looked upon this ten footer as more of a jet ski, and despite the CG 15hp rating, put on a 40 hp Yamaha 2 stroke, and drove from a console mounted amidship. The boat ran around 50 mph, with a fun factor of ten plus. I always wished I had HIS boat. :)

The rating is based more about loading, level flotation and handling. So beefing up the transom to hold a higher hp engine isn't the issue, it's about having the boat filled almost to the gunnels and doing a high speed turn and dumping everyone in the water.

I wouldn't think it possible to flip a 34 Silverton based on the number of people on board..but somebody figured out how to do it and killed people. Now there's an outcry to put those same capacity plates on even bigger boats.

If you alter your boat significantlty...I think you can apply to have that plate changed or if it really is changed that much...I would say rip it off ad call the boat a homebuilt...but to stay within the law ya gotta do something.

Where the OP is, I'm not sure the USCG even has juridiction (waters wholly within a state) and as I said in my first post...the state may or MAY NOT have a rule against it...I know New Jersey does so I passed the info along. As for being sued...you have someone hurt or killed on a boat of yours these days...doesn't matter if you are squeaky clean..your legal bill alone might bankrupt you and even if you counter sue for legal bills.. you might get excactly what they have...nothing.

The boat is designed for 3HP and you wand to double it to 6HP. Put exactly twice the power on the boat. You always have a passenger on the bow and the cops don't patrol the area where you will be using the boat.

You don't know if it's OK to do this but "I'm kinda reinforcing it a little ".

I think you've already made up your mind, you're just asking for permission.

I, myself wouldn't do what you are planning on, but you don't need my permission. You already know this, but it's up to you. You (and your passenger) are the ones who will pay the price if things go wrong.

psneeld said:
The rating is based more about loading, level flotation and handling. So beefing up the transom to hold a higher hp engine isn't the issue, it's about having the boat filled almost to the gunnels and doing a high speed turn and dumping everyone in the water.

I wouldn't think it possible to flip a 34 Silverton based on the number of people on board..but somebody figured out how to do it and killed people. Now there's an outcry to put those same capacity plates on even bigger boats.

If you alter your boat significantlty...I think you can apply to have that plate changed or if it really is changed that much...I would say rip it off ad call the boat a homebuilt...but to stay within the law ya gotta do something.

Where the OP is, I'm not sure the USCG even has juridiction (waters wholly within a state) and as I said in my first post...the state may or MAY NOT have a rule against it...I know New Jersey does so I passed the info along. As for being sued...you have someone hurt or killed on a boat of yours these days...doesn't matter if you are squeaky clean..your legal bill alone might bankrupt you and even if you counter sue for legal bills.. you might get excactly what they have...nothing.

Well like I said there is now tag to rip off it already gone, if I added a wooden deck to the front would that be enough home made ish do you think? The worst part is apache put the tag on the transom wood and it rotted out and it fell off

rwidman said:
The boat is designed for 3HP and you wand to double it to 6HP. Put exactly twice the power on the boat. You always have a passenger on the bow and the cops don't patrol the area where you will be using the boat.

You don't know if it's OK to do this but "I'm kinda reinforcing it a little ".

I think you've already made up your mind, you're just asking for permission.

I, myself wouldn't do what you are planning on, but you don't need my permission. You already know this, but it's up to you. You (and your passenger) are the ones who will pay the price if things go wrong.

Well I'm seeing what you guys would say I'm new to boating and I dident want to rip the back of my boat off but looks like im ok

Well I took her out and it worked really good!! Not as fast as I thought, but it worked good

Well I took her out and it worked really good!! Not as fast as I thought, but it worked good

Congrats jonboatman. I think you should share pictures as our collective reward for helping out with your ponderings. :)
Best wishes many happy times on the water.

Kudos, way to get it on the water. Before you know it you'll be fixing another one up. This boating bug is very addictive.

Well here is some pictures

Attachments

• image-1050726716.jpg
    image-1050726716.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 127
  • image-2133254316.jpg
    image-2133254316.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 136
  • image-2669083738.jpg
    image-2669083738.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 149
  • image-3655388153.jpg
    image-3655388153.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 124
More pictures of motor, sorry it's dark out

Attachments

• image-4004002486.jpg
    image-4004002486.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 122
  • image-324816499.jpg
    image-324816499.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 115
  • image-2354548148.jpg
    image-2354548148.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 120
Couple more and me

Attachments

• image-95932552.jpg
    image-95932552.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 117
  • image-3848142008.jpg
    image-3848142008.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 123
  • image-1646614185.jpg
    image-1646614185.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 110
  • image-1819712872.jpg
    image-1819712872.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 122
Woodsong said:
Congrats jonboatman. I think you should share pictures as our collective reward for helping out with your ponderings. :)
Best wishes many happy times on the water.

Pictures up!!!

CPseudonym said:
Kudos, way to get it on the water. Before you know it you'll be fixing another one up. This boating bug is very addictive.

Yes it is, pictures up

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom