WILLDO jet thruster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shipshape

Vessel Name
Eliza 1
Vessel Make
Halvorsen 42 Pilothouse
Hi,
We have bought an WILLDO bowthruster (jet) 24 volt (EI65) years ago, and now is the time to install. I know the company stopped trading, I contacted hollandmarineparts, but no reply so far. Does anyone have a wiring diagram? the system allows to switch 12 volt batteries into 24 volt for when using the thruster, and switches back to 12 volt when not in use (it has the relays and solenoids to do that), but I just want to check the wiring diagram.
Thanks.
Erik

Attachments

• DSC02689.jpg
    DSC02689.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 552
  • DSC02691.jpg
    DSC02691.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 461
  • DSC02690.jpg
    DSC02690.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 316
I don’t have the wire diagram, but interesting design. Looks to have single intake with a drive motor and a separate box diverter the water to either side? Can you describe the how it works?

The Eagle has a Omnithrust hydraulic jet drive thruster, which are on bigger boats/ferries/ships. I have found that every 10 years the thruster has to be taken out/rework/repaired. Also might want to connect each component to a zinc to reduce corrosion. I have a big diver dream zinc, 3" X 6" installed as the small original zincs went to fast. Each month I run it for several minutes to clean the tubes, move the fluid and components. I have modified/changed/rebuild several times over the years, and each time I basically had do it my self. :ermm:

Hi Phil,
We bought it 4 years ago, but we worked all that time refitting the whole boat ... now we are putting it in. Yes 1 centrifugal pump in the back (engine bay) sucks the water , and distributes it to front and back solenoid. The solenoid at the front can be switched to port or starboard, and the same at the back. The nozzles are about 5 cmd under the waterline.
We have 2 joysticks, one for bow, one for stern
Its a very heavy pump (draws 550Amp works on 24 volt)
Erik

Hi Phil,
We bought it 4 years ago, but we worked all that time refitting the whole boat ... now we are putting it in. Yes 1 centrifugal pump in the back (engine bay) sucks the water , and distributes it to front and back solenoid. The solenoid at the front can be switched to port or starboard, and the same at the back. The nozzles are about 5 cmd under the waterline.
We have 2 joysticks, one for bow, one for stern
Its a very heavy pump (draws 550Amp works on 24 volt)
Erik

Don't quote take as gospel! :hide: Hopfully some of the more tech members will jump in. :thumb:

On most heavy duty machines the 24 volt is connected directly to the pumps, same as on starters, and the control/solenoids are 12 volt. The concern I would have is connect the 24 volts, which should be 12 volt. The 12 volt if wrong will not activate/or be very slow. Where as the 24 will blow/do damage to 12 volt. So if not sure just wire 12 volt first make sure things work then wire the 24 volt.

If you have a pump on/off switch, be sure to turn the pump off when switch from/to port/starboard as it puts a big strain on the control valve. I learned the hard way. :nonono:

24 volt bow thrusters are very common...so is the wiring that converts the forward battery from 12 volt to 24 volt (changes it to series with the house or starting bank) then reverts it to 12 volts for charging when not in thruster use.

Keep searching the internet...I've seen the diagrams explanations dozens of times.

Well all done ! Worked it out ... if someone wants the diagram , here it is ....

Attachments

• fredwilldo3.jpg
    fredwilldo3.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 3,803
Well done Erik. What else are you up to these days. Are you getting out in Shipshape at all..?

jetthruster

Hi, I am an employee of Holland Marine Parts (a previous company Willdo) responsible for the production, I see that I can help on old systems have patterns of electrical connections systmu Willdo. Feel free to e-mail contact and invite jettrusterpoland@gmail.com on page Home - Jet Thruster for Bow and Stern - Official Manufacturer really worth seeing what we do now. Unfortunately, English is not my natural language, so sorry for the mistakes :) Ryszard

I am very interested in how well this systems works considering such a setup

diagram

Hi, are you interested in the installation diagram for 24V systems Willdo? Please kontaktakt private e-mail. Ryszard

I am very interested in how well this systems works considering such a setup

system works great ...... got the 24 volt connection sorted out, that was the hard bit..... now I know how. we are doing the first sea-test in 2 weeks.
But it does work on the hardstand :) and it blows the way we want it to blow :) hahaha. so more news in 2 weeks.

Hi, I am an employee of Holland Marine Parts (a previous company Willdo) responsible for the production, I see that I can help on old systems have patterns of electrical connections systmu Willdo. Feel free to e-mail contact and invite jettrusterpoland@gmail.com on page Home - Jet Thruster for Bow and Stern - Official Manufacturer really worth seeing what we do now. Unfortunately, English is not my natural language, so sorry for the mistakes :) Ryszard
Thank you Ryszard .... it works great, with a lot of testing we got it sorted out. my diagram uploaded in this forum is the way we connected it.
BTW your english is excellent, but if you prefer to talk dutch .... dat versta ik ook heel goed :)
Erik

Well that was nice for someone from the manufacturer to post. If the customer and the rep switch to Dutch could you please provide a English translation?

I have been interested in the Willdo water jet thruster for years, but I thought it went away when the founder of Vetus died.

The little DeFever has so little immersed transom that a conventional thruster can not be fitted.

Eager to hear your test results Shipshape.

Mike

Hello, very happy to help on the work of our thrusters also happy to answer technical questions, if any, do not want here to do our advertising because I think it's not that but it seems to me that you should consider various solutions and I in turn for those who like to recommend our silence. What to Willdo, I know all about the production of these systems caused by the two companies, the idea of the system, however, great quality and strength now completely different. Ryszard

Many hot rods have such monster motors that 24V is required to start , esp when warm.

The parts and relays may be identical and far cheaper from the car guys than the yacht sources.

After all a relay of a certain duty requirement is simply a relay.

nobody has practial expererience on how well these water jet units work in the field??

Trying to contact Ryszard or anyone else with electric drawings for the Willdo. I have a 24V Willdo installed but it is nit working so seeking drawings and technical details if possible. Appreciate any help.

Last edited:
I have had good experience with the Willdo on my Hans Christian. The thrust by Water does have a short lag time before you get the thrust effect so you have to get used to hitting the button a few seconds before you would normally hit the Thruster. It takes a little getting used to. Also need to be vigilant when cleaning tye hull to get barnacles and stuff out of the intake.

Last edited:
Trying to contact Ryszard or anyone else with electric drawings for the Willdo. I have a 24V Willdo installed but it is nit working so seeking drawings and technical details if possible. Appreciate any help.
I installed one .... years ago, I have attached drawing in JPG, if not clear, happy to discuss

drawing

Hope this attaches

Attachments

• fredwilldo3.jpg
    fredwilldo3.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 74
Willdo drawings

Thanks for your response. I am new to this forum and may be doing something wrong but I don’t see any drawings attached. May be finger trouble on my part. I looked back and did find a drawing you submitted some time ago. That was helpful for the install but I am trying to find electrical drawings to fault find tye actual Willdo if possible. Thanks for the response and any help you can provide. Norm

Hi, sorry to jump into this thread but I noticed you may have a wiring diagram fir the old Willdo 24v jet thruster system. I am just fitting one and I could really use a wiring diagram if you have one.

Hi Ryszard, do you have engineering drawings for the DC motor? Thanks Patrick

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom