Teak Swim Platform Finish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art

Guru
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I’ve found great results on interior and above water exterior teak by using Baby Oil rubbed in real well in 3 coats once a year for exterior and every two years for interior. Currently we have a teak swim platform I took down to nude on a Malibu Skier my grandson Cooper and I are restoring. As the teak platform will be often in water... any suggestions as to best product/process for a lasting and good looking finish? – Thanks, Art

Leave it natural, I have tried various finishes and the y do not hold up plus they make it slick.

Leave it natural, I have tried various finishes and the y do not hold up plus they make it slick.

awp... thanks for input. But, doesn’t nude teak wood tend to absorb elements and discolor as per water-contents encountered? I.e. muddy waters or fuel/oil on water top sometimes found around fuel docks? If not... Au' Naturel it will be! This swim platform is on a ski boat and will not always be experiencing pristine-clean waters. :confused:

The amount of foreign material absorbed by the unfinished teak will no doubt vary according to your local waters.

Here in downtown Vancouver, and in the cleaner waters I boat in once away from the dock, nothing has stained or been absorbed into my swim plaltform, in over 30 yrs of leaving it unfinished. I don't think that will be an issue.

The amount of foreign material absorbed by the unfinished teak will no doubt vary according to your local waters.

Here in downtown Vancouver, and in the cleaner waters I boat in once away from the dock, nothing has stained or been absorbed into my swim plaltform, in over 30 yrs of leaving it unfinished. I don't think that will be an issue.

Cool - Thanks! I'll proably leave the teak platform au' naturel! Can always scrub it and again bleach it out... if that becomes necessary.

Back
Top Bottom