Prop shaft zincs, old style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forkliftt

Guru
Vessel Name
KnotDoneYet
Vessel Make
1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quite a while back I payed a guy in the boat/ marine diving business to install a pair of prop shaft zincs. I'm not sure how long they were on- and cant really prove they were ever installed because the ext time I hauled out they were gone.
This was on my "to do" list for way too long, but today I installed the original protection system after I replaced the worn brushes. Tied it to the bonding system- and I think it's gonna work!
img_90854_0_b39487baabe3a90875ac6df8bdbba50d.jpg

img_90854_1_759d884a28113a927a9fcf4356d978e3.jpg

img_90854_2_2b98a9081109841382b17fc43ac758ae.jpg

We have shaft wipers, too, although they are a different configuration with multiple contact shoes. But we also use shaft zincs. Our marine electrical shop said that shaft wipers can be a good addition to a bonding system but he did not recommend eliminating the shaft zincs after the wipers were installed. Our shaft zincs last about six months and we have them replaced on our twice-a-year dive on the bottom.

You might want to check with an experienced marine electric shop to see if they think shaft wipers alone will provide sufficient protection or if you should still use shaft zincs as well.

Interesting. I would have thought this would do it, but will check into it.

Interesting. I would have thought this would do it, but will check into it.

Ask around..if you can find someone with a Silver/Silver-Chloride Electrode for Marine Corrosion Testing...they can tell you if your shaft is protected adequately in the water...theoretically everyone else would just be guessing.

That's why I bought one for around $35 bucks...plugs into a digital multimeter and you can check all your underwater metal.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom