Spray at Speed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
Until today the only new-build photo I'd seen of Spray, American Marine's proof-of-concept boat that led to the Grand Banks 36 and the rest of the GB line, shows her sedately cruising along in a side view. But I just saw that the Grand Banks website now includes this photo of Spray (which I assume is a single engine boat). Seems that the sedate Spray is capable of getting up and moving out.

I use the present tense because Spray still exists and I believe is for sale by her current owner in the Great Lakes area.

-- Edited by Marin at 16:12, 2008-11-23

Attachments

• infospray.jpg
    infospray.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 305
RE: Spray at speed

I don't know how*they decided on the name.* It's a popular name made famous by Joshua Slocum in 1895 with his solo circumnavigation of the world in his sailboat named*Spray.*

American Marine's Spray*was normally not run like this. I believe it was normally run at 6 or 7 knots. I also don't know what it had for an engine but it was built a couple of years before the startup of the Grand Banks line, so I don't know if it even had a Ford Lehman 120 in it. Spray was built in 1964 I believe. I don't know when the FL120 came on the scene.

-- Edited by Marin at 13:36, 2008-11-24

Back
Top Bottom