Can the Californian 34LRC get up on a step??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fighterpilot

Got our boat out again with the full fuel load, but trim tabs still in extended position. 2400rpm, 15 knots but the whole hull, waterline length seems to be in the water. At least there is water spray coming out from under the bow of the boat clear forward. Is that because too much trim tab or don't these boats achieve anything like crusing on a step even when properly trimed. WOT even more bow down as would be expected if too much trim tab. Also only making about 2600 rpm WOT so probably too much prop at 22x24, no cup. But won't know for sure until I get the trim tabs working and get a better understanding of the planing capability of the Californian 34LRC hull. Any thoughts appreciated.

Ours will plane & top out at 22 -24kts. Closer to 22 these days, as I keep modifying things & adding some weight. This boat has 8.2 Detroits' @ 250 hp each. I have to go to WOT, then back off to 2400 rpm or so. Trim tabs do work, altho' I'm never quite sure just where they are postioned. Bow movement is quite obvious. I'd have to look up my prop size; changes a bit each year as I get them repaired; 22x21 w/#8 cup sticks in my aging mind. Hope that helps.

What is the rated rpm for the engines? What is wot rpm at the 22-24 knots and how are you loaded? What speed do you cruise at with the 2400rpm? The extra 30hp per engines makes a difference. What does the prop expert say the #8 cup equates to in just the equivalent pitch of a no cup prop. It must be a 23 or 24 inch pitch equivalent. Thanks

Ray
Loaded RPM I believe is 3000; unloaded is 3200. I'm making the 3000 rpm at WOT; usually loaded for cruising; food, fuel, & water, plus mods to the boat bridge & interior & a 10' dink w/Honda 5 hp outboard on the swim platform. In all honesty, I don't push the boat often. 2400 gets us about 15 - 17 kts. Normal cruise for us is 1900 - 2000 rpm; 8 to 9 kts @ 10 gph or so. Don't have an answer on the cup ?, but I'll call the prop guy & find out.

Did some no load test with laser photo tach. Actual crankshaft rpm about 50 to 75 rpm higher than tach gages are indicating. So possibly at wot of tach gage reading of 2700 I'm getting close to making 2800 rated. Won't really know where I am until get the boat back out with fishing load, but suspect overproped with the 22x24 3 blades. Fishing load will be 300-400 lbs more than we were the other day when we got the 2700rpm wot reading. We'll see what the laser photo tach reads on the way to the fishing ground. Don't know if we will be close enough with the Natural 210 HP Cat or not, but suspect I won't pull boat to reduce pitch until the fall when we get a haul out for whatever. I buy a hurricane haul out parking space, just in case, but if we don't haul out for hurricane I get one free haul out with that package. My insurance doesn't cover loss do to hurricane but it is 1/2 the cost so use the balance to cover the hurricane haul out fee, which if not used still gets me a free haul out and block for 5 days. So not all is lost.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom