Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/)
-   -   Deck paint (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/deck-paint-6110.html)

Fotoman 05-12-2012 08:51 PM

Deck paint

I repainted my decks last year with Interlux Interdeck. Initially the job was very nice and white but after only afew weeks a lot of hard to clean stains appeared. Now after one season it looks aweful. Did any of you have a similar experience with that paint? Any good alternative?

swampu 05-12-2012 08:55 PM

I'll be watching this for sure. Deck painting party will be soon.

markpierce 05-12-2012 09:30 PM

Gray helps hide stuff/uglies.

http://images3a.snapfish.com/2323232...33693336nu0mrj

C lectric 05-12-2012 09:40 PM

You might check Kiwigrip. However, be aware I have only seen it on two boats swimgrids so far and only one or a bit yrs old. Not long enough to comment on longetivity.

Nomad Willy 05-12-2012 11:14 PM

Over 10 years ago my neighbor brought me some deck paint. He worked for Parker Paint and I used it in my entryway in back of the house. I was amazed how much abrasion that paint took. It was not glossy and ever since then I've wondered how it would work on a boat. Anybody done anything like that?

HopCar 05-12-2012 11:27 PM

Fotoman, you should contact Interlux and talk to them. They may have suggestions on how to clean the stains or they may give you more paint. At any rate you should let them know you are unhappy.

Peter B 05-13-2012 04:11 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fotoman (Post 86722)
I repainted my decks last year with Interlux Interdeck. Initially the job was very nice and white but after only afew weeks a lot of hard to clean stains appeared. Now after one season it looks aweful. Did any of you have a similar experience with that paint? Any good alternative?

Fotoman, I just recently did the same, and with Interdeck, Squall Blue, (which I suspect is just Toplac or similar with the grippy stuff added), and it came up well. I have used it every 3-4 yrs, and it cleans quite well with detergent and brush, however, due to the 'grippy' end finish, stains do stick around more than they would on a smooth surface, as do our feet, which is why we use it. I suspect that it's just that white is a colour any stain will show up against rather more than a darker colour. Have you thought of painting it in say blue, or grey, (like Marks' Coot), but with a strip of white still along & around the outer and inner boundaries and other fittings in the deck, like this...

FF 05-13-2012 05:23 AM

For a real no skid deck, Treadmaster , has been #1 world wide for 3 decades.

Loads more co$t than a pail of paint tho.

FF

charles 05-13-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampu (Post 86726)
I'll be watching this for sure. Deck painting party will be soon.

S, You might take a look at so called "truck bed" liner material.
It is used on cruise ships around the pool areas and such, wild animal cages in zoos, floors in warehouses with fork lifts driving over it.
Did my boat in 99 and it is jsut fine today.
CCC

chiropaul 05-13-2012 08:56 AM

When I owned my 44' Atlantic trawler, I used the Interdeck white and found that it was a bear to keep clean. Living under the flight path to JFK was not a help. However, I used the beige on Tortuga and it stays very clean with minimal use of boat soap and a soft bristle deck brush. Three years now since painting and will refresh it this year.

Phil Fill 05-13-2012 10:51 AM

I was our whit roof with auto tire spray and clorox spray to bleach the spots. however every couple of years have to repaint.

Nomad Willy 05-13-2012 11:32 AM

Sure would like to see more pics of your boat Paul. It looks like the boat I wish Willy was but now I'm going to be down south where moorage is $275 a month. The extra length would cost me so I'm more happy w Willy than in the past. But your Clipper looks really good to me.

Fotoman 05-14-2012 05:24 AM

Thanks everyone. I will look into painting it beige I think.

marinetrader 05-14-2012 07:39 AM

I have been using the same paint, Grey, for years. I've never had any problems like you have had. I would suggest you might consider using any color but white; it will make any staining less noticeable.

Peter B 05-14-2012 07:47 AM

Well there yah go Fotoman - we can't all be wrong...

FF 05-16-2012 05:39 AM

The darker the color , the harder it is on bare feet.

Ours is BLACK, but with shards of flint as no skid , bare feet are a no ,no.

FF

Anode 05-16-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Ours is BLACK, but with shards of flint as no skid , bare feet are a no ,no.

So is my driveway.

Nomad Willy 05-16-2012 09:41 AM

I just painted our salon deck and engine hatch covers. I found out that we used the same paint for wife Chris's craft room. The craft room has held up well for 6 years and only one coat. The paint is acrylic latex. I know almost everybody here has carpet but I do'nt like carpet and have painted plywood floors. On the outside decks as long as one painted w the same color I'll bet the latex would give good service and it's so easy to re coat.

I see you there Marine trader try'in to suck us into your sales trap. Wish someone would eliminate you as you never stop try'in to sell your stuff. We even have a special thread for selling stuff. Like what does your used boat lot have to do w deck paint???

MVNoPlans 05-29-2012 04:57 PM

I used acrylic deck paint on my Tollycraft which had the original turquoise that burned the feet on a hot summer day. It is quite durable, it cleans well, and if I want, I can touch it up and it blends in.
I also used some anti skid material which I believe was called "shark skin" or something like that off the shelf.
I used some leftover easypoxy as the primer coat. I did it over a year ago and it looks great.

Delfin 05-29-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fotoman (Post 86722)

Fotoman, Awlgrip with a matting agent and non-skid is a 10 year+ finish on the deck, at least in the NW. You have to be able to deal with the fumes, but with a decent respirator it is an easy product to apply, especially on a deck.

A very good alternative is System Three Paints WR-LPU waterborne 2 part polyurethane. I used this on one area and it is still bright after 5 years and seems to hold up really well. The primer is also water soluble and in general, this system is extremely easy to apply. Other than the higher cost of the product, I really don't know why anyone would use an alkyd paint rather than this.

http://www.systemthree.com/reslibrar...Literature.pdf