Bbb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
I was told by a guy at a wire rope company thet BBB chain is designed for a windlass and that if you use just a hot dipped galvanized chain. Every
4th or 5th link will not fit right.

I did not know that.

Is it true I don't have a windless I have a hydraulic drum reel for the anchor.
SD

Last edited:
Different windlasses are designed for different types and sizes of chain. Ours was meant for 1/4 or 3/8 BBB which is unfortunately NOT what the rode is so we have problems with skipping. I believe there is a newer, better chain that most modern windlasses are designed to work with but I do not know what is called.

I was told by a guy at a wire rope company thet BBB chain is designed for a windlass and that if you use just a hot dipped galvanized chain. Every
4th or 5th link will not fit right.

I did not know that.

Is it true I don't have a windless I have a hydraulic drum reel for the anchor.
SD

Is it true? Possibly.

What is true is, each windlass (each gypsy, the part of the windlass that engages the chain) is designed for a particular size and type of chain. If you don't use the size and type of chain the gypsy is designed for, it will not fit properly and it will jump and/or wear out the gypsy. The size and type of chain is often stamped on the side of the gypsy.

There are a few different types of chain. As I recall, the West Marine catalog (and website) has an explanation.

Mine is designed for 3/8" G4 chain. That's what I have (spliced to 5/8" rope) and it works as designed.

Our Gypsy on our Lofrans was order for 5/16 g4, works great with all 350' of that chain.

Our Gypsy on our Lofrans was order for 5/16 g4, works great with all 350' of that chain.
Now that I think of it, mine may be 5/16" chain, not 3/8".

edit: So why can I edit this post but not my earlier post?

You can only edit post for a short period of time is what I have discovered, after that no editing. I guess so you can fix any error immediately only.

The "trick" we were taught by a longtime shipwright is that when shopping for new chain for your anchor rode, either take the wildcat to the chain store to make sure the chain you're getting fits the teeth or slots correctly, or have the chain store whack off a foot or so of chain that you can take to the boat to make sure it fits the wildcat. Never buy chain sight-unseen but get a sample (or take the wildcat to the shop) to make sure they are truly compatible because depending on who made the chain and who made the wildcat they may not be even though the numbers say they should be.

I know a couple of people who bought chain sized for their wildcat and had problems with it jumping and slipping. Finally they took the wildcat to the shop where they'd bought the chain and low and behold, the chain that was supposed to be correct wasn't.

Before purchasing a shot of chain most sellers will work with you to get you about a foot of chain to see if it actually is correct for your chain gypsy.

FF

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom