Water Tank Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alfton

Boat Bum
Vessel Name
Traveling Star
Vessel Make
Pilgrim 40
I know some of you have replaced your potable water tanks.

What was the material of the old tank?

What is the material of the new tank?

If you chose plastic for your potable water tank, did the new water tank have a baffle inside to prevent sloshing?

If you chose plastic did you build a box around the sides of the new tank to support it?

Did you just strap it down?

How about some insight on water tank replacement

My tanks are plastic from the factory. I don't know if there are baffles, but there's no box to support the tanks. They are self supporting. The bottoms sit on solid material and the tanks are strapped down.

My original water tank was corteen steel and was replaced with stainless steel by the previous owner. It was tabbed inot the fiberglass.

Hi,
My water tanks were stainless ... but as you can see what people can do with it .... they of course leaked ... with steel bolts in it !!!!
I replaced with plastic ones (2 of 200litre) no baffles cause they are only small I guess.
I made just a ridge where they sit into, and strapped them in, also put a bit of timber between the tank and the ceiling, bt I don't think strapping is requires if they sit nice in between the ridges and timber at the top
you can see more at http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s32/start-nice-project-clipper-30ft-4127-2.html
Have fun
Erik

Attachments

• DSC01873.JPG
    DSC01873.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC01950.JPG
    DSC01950.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0162.JPG
    IMG_0162.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0163.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 107
the Eagle's two 200 gallon water tanks are SS with no baffles that I can see/tell. I would proable replace them with smaller plastic tanks. The same with the mild steel fuel tanks. I would try to use the old tanks as frame/support for the new tanks.

We replaced our water bladder last year with a plastic tank. The bladder was installed by the PO to add capacity and bring the boat back in trim; it was installed rather than a solid tank to allow access to other items like the hot water heater.

We found that the bladder leaked at the filler hose seal, even after replacing the tank, so took it out and installed a solid tank.

Meaning that we had to then completely rearrange the hot water tank, water pump, and holding tank to accommodate the new water tank.

Our new tank is rotomolded, which is the strongest and most inexpensive approach we found. Welded plastic tanks tend to be thicker, can leak more easily, and are very expensive.

The new tank, by the way, complements and balances (trim wise) our original aluminium tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom