April 14th's excitement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Cruised Saturday from Vallejo to the Suisun Bay Reserve fleet and return; on the way ...

Boat in distress north off the Farallon Islands, sounded like it washed ashore.

Boat in distress in the Napa River. "Mast in the water"?

A sedan cruiser slowed down from behind to inspect the Coot for several minutes, then passed to enter Benicia Marina.

On returning to Vallejo, several pairs of USCG boats and auxiliary (private) boats were practicing on-board inspections, towing, and man-overboard procedure: getting ready for the "crazies."

Last edited:
Here's an update.

One dead, four missing in Farallones sailboat race

Wasn't aware of the Farallon tragedy when making the first post. Had only heard one-way USCG messages on channel 16 Saturday afternoon mentioning a vessel in trouble and no other details.

Last edited:
So, Mark, do you still want to go out there?

I'm still intending to boat/sail to the Farallons if I can convince a buddy-boat to accompany. Had already decided this would be during late summer or early fall when the winds/waves are usually benign. Don't require wind to do it.

I'm still intending to boat/sail to the Farallons if I can convince a buddy-boat to accompany. Had already decided this would be during late summer or early fall when the winds/waves are usually benign. Don't require wind to do it.

Just be careful friend! The sea is a harsh mistress. (joseph conrad)

Been to the lightship several times (halfway to the Farallons), and I'm bound to go all the way (having had a hamburger in Hamburg and a frankfurter in Frankfurt.) It's something like a bucket list.

img_83168_0_f307011bb7f6b94c1529d569fcf5e695.jpg

Turns out I knew one of the guys. Marc was a year ahead of me in high school.

Back
Top Bottom