When is a Trawler not a Trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
The dictionary definition of a trawler is pretty much a fishing boat dragging nets.
In the recreation market, I haven't found a clear definition separating trawlers from motoryachts.
My personal definition of a trawler as I am lead to believe, is a low HP, slow moving, full or semi displacement hull with usually a single engine - usually diesel.
I see many boats that look like trawlers from the waterline up, however, they usually have twin engines of high HP and can get up into a plane and go relatively fast. Sometimes some of these are sold as Motoryachts and sometimes as Trawlers.
On the overall scheme of things, it doesnt really matter because you either want speed or economy when purchasing a boat and you will buy what you want regardless of what it is called.
I was just curious as to what your definitions of a trawler are.

Last edited:
Tony, if you step the masts on that ketch, you will have a " low HP, slow moving, full or semi displacement hull with usually a single engine - usually diesel."

Maybe that'll be a trawler too.:lol:

I saw a mast-less sailboat traveling the ICW a while back... name on the stern was "Windless" :D.

Tony, if you step the masts on that ketch, you will have a " low HP, slow moving, full or semi displacement hull with usually a single engine - usually diesel."

Maybe that'll be a trawler too.:lol:

I saw a mast-less sailboat traveling the ICW a while back... name on the stern was "Windless" :D.

Yes Ross, I agree 100%. That is why I really dont care if my sailboat sells or not. My signature on here was "If sailboat don't sell, we are still going inland no matter what!!! We can actually make it to Kentucky Lake with the mast up from Galveston Bay. The Admiral likes the idea of a slightly more roomy boat and just loves the enclosures on the flybridge and sun deck. She is a rare woman - she loves living aboard.
As for me, I feel it is criminal to remove the mast from a world class ocean going vessel. I just cant do it. I will have to get rid of or keep the boat just as it is. Fuel economy is great - 5 1/2 kts at 3/4 gal per hour.
Thanks for the comment. I will have to show it to the Admiral.
Tony B

The big oxymoron is "Fast Trawler", which is usually a motor yacht with trawler like deck house stuck on top.

ZOOOOM till out of fuel in a few hundred miles.

Easiest way to ID a displacement trawler (99% of which have NO Passage making ability or ocean grade scantlings ) is io find out the boats weight.

Called displacement , and divide by 2000 (tho 2240 is more accurate)

Multiply that number by 3 to 5 .

5 x will be the rating of the engine at max , with 3x a better grasp of fuel burn HP required to cruise. 1 Gph of diesel is 16 to 22 hp , most use 18hp on a well engineered boat.

So a 50,000 lb boat will give 20-25 when divided , so -60-75 Hp will cruise her and the engine will be happy if its not much over 120 -125 HP rated.

When you see a "trawler " with a pair of 400hp fuel suckers , you have a boat that will be very difficult to cruise with.

But great for water skiing!!!

FF

The term "trawler" is probably the most over used word in a boating dictionary. It is also a word that has changed over time as the boating market has changed.

It used to mean a fishing trawler of course. Then it became a boat that is seaworthy and capable like a fishing trawler. Then it became a boat that looks like a fishing trawler and goes slow. It goes on and on.

I would prefer to define recreational boats into three catergories, based on functionality.

Coastal Cruiser

Boats that are seaworthy enough, and outfitted, to travel along a coastline. My 4788 is an example of a "Coastal Cruiser"

Passagemaker

Boats that are seaworthy enough and outfitted for crossing oceans. My Friend steves hatteras 48 LRC is an example of a "Passagemaker".

Sailboat

We all know what that is. :)

We own and enjoy what I call a 34’ tri cabin “Mock” Trawler... in that it has interior size and comfort of a rather small, slow moving, deep draft “Fishing” Trawler carefully converted into a “Pleasure” Trawler... yet ours can do 22+ knot WOT when needed (at too little kpg), and has continuous 16 to 17 knot travel capabilities of a planning cruiser (at 1 +/- kpg); as well as fuel efficient 6 to 7 knot hull speed at nearly 3 kpg when running one engine at a time... which greatly reduces wear/tear on her twin screw power train. Due to her bottom shape, hull shape, and twin engine power she is considerably maneuverable and seaworthy as well as generally stable in various types of sea conditions. Our Tollycraft is my preferred smaller “Pleasure” Trawler in its hull and bottom design and in its power, speed, efficiency, sea keeping and living-comfort capabilities. As well, we really like the ease of maintenance of her well built fiberglass construction and that there is next to no wood on exterior!

IMO: The boat nomenclature of “Trawler” in its purest form is a fishing vessel dragging nets, i.e. trawling. Due to increased capital of the marine-loving public as well as decades of millions of well built boats remaining viable for use... for fun boats/cruisers of a comfortable size the word “Trawler” has morphed into meaning nearly anything advertisers want it to, and we boat owners bought into it hook, line and sinker! The word Trawler carries a mystique and certain amount of romance. At least for a “Pleasure” Trawler it does!

My Idea of a “Pleasure” Trawler is a boat with ample interior/exterior room for comfort and reasonable sea keeping capabilities somewhere between the size of 30’ to 60’. After that, I feel at 61’ to 100’ a pleasure boat or boat for hire is a yacht. In my mind, 101’ and above = Mega Yacht. Billionaires might think Mega Yacht doesn’t start till 150’ +, but, that’s no BFD... who cares what the couple thousand global billionaires want to call their $500M boats... errr SHIPS!! :D

A trawler is a certain style of powerboat. Actually having little or nothing to do w the # of engines but it must look or be somewhat heavy duty, usually styled w a somewhat commercial look of tug boats and/or fishing boats, usually used at relatively slow speeds. Other elements of the type are deep draft and a raised pilot house fwd or aft and an oversized anchor on the bow. Trawler owners think their trawler is more of a trawler and they are more of a trawlerman if their boat is a single screw w a deep keel, has an engine that pushes the boat at hull speed at 1100rpm, their anchor rode is all of chain and it would'nt hurt to have masts and steadying sails or better yet ...flopperstoppers. But if the trawler owners didi'nt want to draw attention to themselves as big burley and salty looking guys that command great respect on the dock the'yd just call their boats heavy cruisers. So slow and heavy are the core elements of the type but if you want a quick def.......slow cruising yachts.
Art,
I like the word "romance" in the trawler concept. And of course romance has much to do w trawlers. Quite a number of our members are well connected to that word.

Last edited:
This is the local Vallejo trawler seen frequently in Mare Island and Carquinez straits. It fishes for shrimp bait.

img_82542_0_8c847384454eb7ec8ce5b2780c8c5ea5.jpg

A "trawler" in the recreational vessel sense is merely a marketing term. It means whatever the manufacturer/marketer wants it to mean. For me, a recreational trawler has full living accommodations contained in a mid-sized hull designed in partnership with an economical power plant and being unable to exceed hull-speed. On the larger end of the "mid-size" scale is this vessel:

img_82542_1_4557bd5cbd7511a06a715b91f14a4cd0.jpg

Last edited:
Definition of Trawlermen from the Urban Dictionary:

The term for mentally challenged lager louts that trawl the streets on a saturday night looking to catch the easiest fish and unknowing surprise of saltwater crabs. In this field, catching the biggest fish is not usually regarded as an achievement.

...just sayin':dance:

Definition of Trawlermen from the Urban Dictionary:

The term for mentally challenged lager louts that trawl the streets on a saturday night looking to catch the easiest fish and unknowing surprise of saltwater crabs. In this field, catching the biggest fish is not usually regarded as an achievement.

...just sayin':dance:

I need to start a file for "Quotable Quotes". This is hysterical:)

I think the definition of "Recreational trawler" in Wikipedia defines it pretty well:

Recreational trawler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also like their definition of yacht:

Yacht - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yacht lengths generally range from 8 metres (26 ft) up to dozens of metres (hundreds of feet). A luxury craft smaller than 12 metres (39 ft) is more commonly called a cabin cruiser or simply "cruisers." A mega yacht generally refers to any yacht (sail or power) above 30 m (98 ft) and a super yacht generally refers to any yacht over 60 metres (197 ft). (Although they did spell meters wrong!)

Tony, if you are looking for a little more inspiration, check this link:
Winnie the Pooh, sailboat to trawler conversion - Trawlers & Trawlering
Thanks Ross. It is an interesting article. Most of the conversions I have seen were Morgan Out Island series like theirs. They are popular because older models don't cost very much and they are big for their length. They are not desirable by many sailors including myself. For trawler conversions, they are excellent. If I had a center cockpit, I might be tempted. I have an aft cockpit with a very skinny ass. My boat is much narrower, just not right for a conversion. Besides, I am 65 and want to be boating not renovating. I am in good physical condition inspite of myself and my habits, never the less, everyday I wake up and think that this will be the best day that I will ever have. And, I love the water.

A trawler is a fishing boat that pulls a trawl net the mouth of which is held open by otter doors. That's it, that's what a trawler is.

A recreational trawler is not a trawler. It's a power cruiser, cabin cruiser, coastal cruiser, whatever. The marketing people applied the term "trawler" decades ago to recreational boats because they thought the image conjured up by the word "trawler"---- seaworthy, rugged, strong, dependable, etc.--- would help sell their pleasure boats. Which it has.

Some of them, llike Grand Banks, have lines based loosely on commercial fishing boats. But American Marine never used the term "trawler" to describe their Grand Banks line of boat. In all their literature they were described as "diesel cruisers."

So as far as I'm concerned, none of our boats are trawlers other than the fellow in Ireland who is restoring a retired commercial trawler. I don't use the term trawler to describe our or our kind of boat to anyone wanting to talk about them. I simply call our boat a "cruiser."

Last edited:
OK, Marin, I agree. Let's change the name of the website to "Cruiser's Forum" ... oops, that one's taken

:facepalm::facepalm:

Cruiser's Forum probably isn't any more accurate that Trawler Forum because it implies the forum is about cruising when it's actually more about the type of boat we all have. So I don't know what the right term should be. Since the marketing people have succeeded and most recreational boaters today think of a particular type of recreational boat as a "trawler" even though it isn't I suppose that name's as good as any. I can't suggest anything better even though I myself don't use the term trawler to describe a recreational boat.

I sometimes use the term "cabin cruiser" to describe our boat to people but that's a pretty plain-Jane 1950s term and I suspect today's boaters would find the term somewhat demeaning. Most people have bought into the marketing hype so "trawler" it is :)

Last edited:
Twin Screw Tolly Tri Cabin, or just, Tollycraft Tri Cabin :thumb:

That's my answer to those who ask what we have for a boat.

Trawler is OK, but that's not what I think of our Tolly... As I mentioned in earlier post, I could call her a Mock Trawler... but I don't really use that one either! :lol:

Last edited:
Another one from the Urban Dictionary -

Cruiser and Tug
The very common phenomenon among posh, professional white women.
It's a really stunning woman who is always accompanied by her horrible, fat, ugly little friend

:nonono:

A minimal definition that works amazingly well is:

A heavy cruiser.

Military "Heavy Cruiser"

zara.jpg

I like the term "motor boat".

Let's just keep calling our boats Trawlers. Folks not on the Forum won't know the difference. It could be our own little secret :)

I don't see how you can define a trawler, at least in the recreational boating world, as anything more than a styling design. I find it impossible to define it any more than you can define the word "sportscar".

Tom-

Interestingly... after spending decades of my life from birth on and around New England pleasure and commercial boating as well as working on boats in yards and in new manufacturer... my endeavors developed a substantial span where I was not entailed in nor anywhere near salt water boating at all – due to my construction business in mountain regions. Not being interested in small lake boating at all I became a “reformed ocean boater”... for decades. Then, when I decided to renter the salt water boating scene in latter 1990’s one of the most difficult items for me to wrap my brain around was that sooooo many styles of pleasure boats were being called “Trawlers”! To me, from my New England decades of growing up on and around Atlantic Ocean boating, a trawler was a fishing boat with outriggers and nets in the ocean for hauling in tons of fish (first hand vivid pictures of working trawlers remain in my mind’s eye). Gloucester Mass fishing trawlers and the like are what I grew up with and I was used to – pure and simple. Matter O’ Fact... calling pleasure boats “Trawlers” still twists my brain a bit.

Although I’ve become somewhat used to hearing it for pleasure boats; actual trawler definition:

trawl·er/ [traw-ler] noun
1. Any of various types of vessels used in fishing with a trawl net
2. A person who trawls

So... it seems... The term “Trawler” for pleasure boats is here to stay! And, therefore “Trawler Forum” is good as any name for a diverse pleasure boating forum. Heck, the newer generations into boating will be fine with pleasure boats being called “Trawlers”. Cause, they just were not exposed to what many of us on this forum were – In The Middle to Latter portion of LAST CENTURY - LOL. I recall my grand dad talking all about growing up on his family’s horse ranch... on the edge of NY City... in late 1800’s. Time moves on, and on and on!!!!! Word definitions morph to suit the needs and desires of “New Times”!

Happy Boating... errrr Trawlering! Aw heck... that word Trawler still don’t ring right in my mind for a pleasure boat! :facepalm: Such is life – lmao!! :lol:

All though the term " cabin cruiser" may be old hat to old salts, it is still the term that most 'civilians' are familiar with, or as someone has suggested "motor boat".
When I was young, I was not exposed to any boats at all, except for seeing them at a distance. As a young man, all I knew were small open motor boats with no cabins. Most people I knew back then called them run-abouts.
I have been sailing for about 14 years now and still have no real knowledge of power boats anly because I have not associated myself with them. Up until last year, when I finally decided to sell my sailboat and get a power boat I didn't know the names of the different styles of boats. What I now know to be trawlers, I used to use the expression "ya, know, the kind that look like New England style fishing boats" for lack of a better way to describe them. Even now, that I know what a 'trawler' looks like, I still use that old expression to describe them to the general public and have them visualize what I am talking about.
The term 'trawler' is like a technical term to non-boaters and they have no clue as to what you are talking about. Now that this forum has educated me, plus my research on yachtworld, I come to a realization that the term 'trawler' is mainly a description of style and not function. And, 90% of boats in that style are actually motoryachts. At least that is the way I see it. I love the style. I want a trawler for the economy but will settle for a motoryactch. Limited budget does not always allow people to get exactly what they want and fortunately, there are always good alternatives.
BTW, I have really enjoyed the response and so, keep those calls and cards coming.
Thanks

Tony B

........ Yacht - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yacht lengths generally range from 8 metres (26 ft) up to dozens of metres ...A luxury craft smaller than 12 metres (39 ft) is more commonly called a cabin cruiser or simply "cruisers.".........

I have read varying definitions of the word "yacht" including the above and I think it is a word that has been used way too loosely. Thats just my personal opinion.

Some define a yacht simply as a boat with a galley, sleeping quarters and a stationary head. The word 'luxury' is very subjective and also exploited by manufacturers. My boat fits in all of the above categories for having "Yacht" status, except for the word "luxury" and again, this is a very nebulous term that can apply if I wanted it to. The reality is that when the common, everyday ordinary person hears the word yacht, they conjur up visions of what Donald Trump would own, not what I would own. So although I technically own a yacht, I personally would NEVER, EVER, EVER call it a yacht.
And Portager, thanks for the link.

Regards

Tony B

Haha Gonzo. Sportscar. The perfect analogy. Think of the Mustang. Most people thought of it as a sportscar but all it really was was a lowered and styled Ford Falcon. Same mechanicals as the Falcon .....brakes and all but it was considered a sportscar. Well I would submit that we have at least a barnload and a half of waterborne "Mustangs" here on Trawler Forum. Trawler is a concept not a real thing. If a boat owner thinks he has a trawler then he has a trawler. One of the best trawlers I know of is the Albin 25 but many (or more) would'nt consider it such because of it's small size and light displacement. There are more high speed "cruisers" here on the forum than full disp boats. And they would likely belly up to the bar and swear on a stack of beers that their "cruiser" is a trawler. There was a cruise story in PMM about a trip up the coast done w a 40 some foot Bayliner that was'nt a pilothouse and they called it "our trawler" all through the article. I think it has more to do w the OWNER, his thoughts and attitudes and what he thinks of himself and his style of boating than the boat itself. And there is unquestionably the element of the need for the concept of masculinity. A man's masculinity most often needs to be earned these days. 50 yrs ago it was handed to us from an automatic vending machine that needed no coins. Why are there so many big black PU trucks and Harleys now. A real trawler should have a look that says the owner is'nt afraid to get his hands dirty and that he is indeed a man. Hogwash of course but the attitudes and concepts are firmly in place. Trawlers are just heavy cruisers. But in the 50s and before there were very few heavy cruisers and now there are many. Perhaps the sheer numbers spawned the need for a new name.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 125.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 125.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 127
I don't see how you can define a trawler, at least in the recreational boating world, as anything more than a styling design. I find it impossible to define it any more than you can define the word "sportscar".

Tom-

When a sport like you drive it no matter what make or model it's a Sportscar. No that's not right what I meant to say was when Bess drives....

Haha Gonzo. Sportscar. The perfect analogy. Think of the Mustang. Most people thought of it as a sportscar but all it really was was a lowered and styled Ford Falcon. Same mechanicals as the Falcon .....brakes and all but it was considered a sportscar.

I'll bet Carrol Shelby would argue that point. Or at least his bank account may.

Back
Top Bottom