The Yard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
Hauled our boat yesterday before going to work. It's a busy time for the yard as fishing boats are being readied for the season and recreational boaters do the same. Seaview North works on a lot of wood boats in addition to metal and glass ones. Took a few shots before heading back to Seattle after the boat was braced and blocked.

Squalicum Marina has experienced two fires recently. One was a sailboat that caught fire early in the morning and burned to the waterline and sank. The boat in front of it, a GB36 named Slow Dancer, was downwind and was enveloped in the smoke plume. There was no physical damage but Slow Dancer was black with soot. All her canvas was ruined and there may have been other cosmetic damage as well. Slow Dancer is the second GB36 in the photo and has been undergoing a major cleaning for several weeks now. The guy working on it said he's never seen anything so difficult to remove as soot and of course it is in every nook and cranny.

The crane boom visible in the same photo is on a barge out in the marina and is being used to salvage the 20-some boats that were lost the other week when a fire that started on a yet-undetermined boat in a row of open boathouses swept through and burned and sank everything including the boathouses. Two liveaboards died on their 42' boat-- the woman owned the nice coffee stand at the head of the Gate 3 dock. We idled past the site on our way out of the basin yesterday morning to come around to the yard, and it was a sad sight to see the melted, blackened lumps that were once people's cruising boats piled on the barge like so much garbage.

I've posted photos of the David B before. Built in the 1920s as a buy-boat for the Bristol Bay fishery, she was also used to pull trains of the unpowered salmon boats (unpowered by regulation) out to the fishing grounds. The David B is still going strong with her original huge, direct-revering Washington (I think) engine with the exposed pushrods and rocker arms and flyweight governor. She is used as a charter trip boat in the San Juans, BC, and I think even all the way up to SE Alaska.

I've not seen Showboat before so I don't know if it's a local boat or was brought here because of this yard's experience with wood boats. I've not seen Lady Grace before either, but there are several classic wood cruisers in the private boathouses in the marina so she may be one of them.

Attachments

• GBs.jpg
    GBs.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 107
  • David B.jpg
    David B.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 134
  • Muzom Chirikof.jpg
    Muzom Chirikof.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Boom Tug.jpg
    Boom Tug.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 108
  • GB Woody.jpg
    GB Woody.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Showboat.jpg
    Showboat.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Lady Grace.jpg
    Lady Grace.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 114
The Everett yard is stating to get busy as the commercials are starting to get ready to head north, and the pleasures are getting ready for summer. Everett just double/triple the size of their yard so there is plenty of area/space. Since many of the commercial boats are older wood hulls there is still some experience/knowledge of wood boats. Moat of the commercial will leave by June 1st. Everett is the biggest US marina/yard on the Pacfic coast. :socool:

If the southern gate to the yard is open I will usually drive/walk through to see what going on and talk to the yard/service. I find the yard more interesting then the dock/slips. Everett 3 years ago got a 75 ton lift. However, some of the newer steel boats are still too heavy. I sleep better since they got the 75 ton lift knowing there is a lift close by. :thumb:

Seaview North has a 35 ton Travelift and a 150 ton Travelift. So they can haul some pretty big boats.

The boat is five years overdue for bottom paint. We normally haul every two years, but this last time every time we'd schedule a haulout Boeing would send me somewhere on the other side of the planet and we kept having to put it off. It's amazing how time sort of slips by like this. We have a dive service clean the bottom every six months but the paint was really getting tired.

Finally I decided enough was enough so we scheduled the haul for the Monday after we got back from a ten-day shoot in South Carolina. Went up to the boat Sunday afternoon, spent the night, got up at 6:30 yesterday morning and ran around to the yard, they pulled, power washed, and blocked the boat and by eleven we were on our way south to Seattle so I could get to work by 2:30 and work until midnight. So goes life at a busy company :)

So just one coat of bottom paint all over with a second coat in a two-foot band along the waterline and on the whole forefoot and on the rudders. This weekend we'll wax the hull and touch up the bootstripe. They'll launch us first thing Monday, we'll go back to our temporary slip in the marina, and then head south for work.

Hope to get out to the islands later this month but we'll see.....

Last edited:
Here are a few pictures at the boat yard where I work.

Attachments

• BMI bottom jobs close up.jpg
    BMI bottom jobs close up.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Bradford hole in side.jpg
    Bradford hole in side.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Tiffany accross the shed web.jpg
    Tiffany accross the shed web.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 125
Tucker,

Those pictures look a lot like the yard where we did my survey. :>)))

Yes, that is a hole cut in the hull to repower. Once the engines and generators were replaced the hole was welded up and then the hull repainted.

JD, speaking of surveys on your boat, I just arranged for Rob Eberle to do a survey on a boat that was located at Jarret Bay. I was impressed with the job he did for you plus he had a few other good reports from some other brokers in that area.

JD, speaking of surveys on your boat, I just arranged for Rob Eberle to do a survey on a boat that was located at Jarret Bay. I was impressed with the job he did for you plus he had a few other good reports from some other brokers in that area.

Who else is there in the area besides Rob? How can you not be impressed with his work? :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom