Firing off my 6-71's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampu

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Cajun Rose
Vessel Make
Biloxi Lugger
Hey guys, it's me again. *I got the genset running great today but it's overheating. *Maybe a stuck thermostate. *I'll figure that out. *But....the 6-71's. *I've had them running since the fire, I hired someone to fire them off but now I wan't to crank them up and get it running. *Any tips. *I hooked the battery, fuel and oil pressure and started cranking. *I checked the air shut off damper to make sure it worked before I cranked it up. *I am not sure what way the stop solonoid works but I am assuming it pulls the lever into itself to shut it down. *I took the cover off of the governer to check the funtion but I"m not getting any crank. *Any suggestions? *Thanks *Paul

Pull off the valve cover , and be sure all the injectors open and close with throttle movement.

ALL must move together.

Many DD simply pull the gov into a no fuel point on the gov , where the injectors do not supply fuel.

That is why you check the rack movement.

DD do not like to be cold (freezing) to start.

Best is a block heater in the coolant circuit , at 40F technique is required.

Crank 30 seconds , let the starter cool 45-60 seconds , repeat , should start on 3rd try with tons of white smoke for a couple of min.

In cold (freezing or below) ether is OK , a 2 second squirt ONLY , use AFTER the engine has been cranked 2 or 3 times as above.

Thanks FF, I'm going to try that today.

Back
Top Bottom