Ft Lauderdale Trawlerfest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bilgewater

Vessel Name
Sunset Lady
Vessel Make
1975 Chris Craft 35 Aft Cabin
Back from Ft Lauderdale, and the Trawlerfest pretty much lived up/down to*our expectations.* The ups were the seminars we took in, and the people we met.* The downs were the lack of vendors, terrible service at the Grill of the hotel, and the rediculous pricing of the boats.* A 40 foot American Tug for $400,000?* Seriously?* So we've been there, done that, did NOT get the T shirt, and most likely will never go again.* Big up was the great weather.* Big down the flights to and from packed in like sardines.* Ultimate up was the inspiration to continue with our restoration and get on the water soonest!

Bilgewater: Sorry we didn't connect at the Loop Seminar. I was so concentrated on trying to hear (all seminars were lacking in audio help), that I forgot to look for the hat. I, on the other hand, was wearing a conspicuous CIA hat. Anyway, my Admiral and I took six seminars and 4 other outside classes. The highlight ending was that we got to ride back to the Broker's dock in the new Leopard 39 power-cat, which was something to behold. The new 39 is nothing like the former 37' model, and is smooth as silk, and each one of them is brought from So. Africa by a Captain and crew on its own bottom. Pretty convincing.

We arrived just in time to cross the inlet as the worlds largest cruise ships were exiting. Unlike Miami, the Coast Guard let us pass on the ICW to starboard. The show was dominated by the Krogens, Ocean Reefs, Grand Banks and Nordhavn's, but a good showing from American and Ranger Tugs helped round-out the show a bit along with a bunch of used Broker boats, including a refitted Benford 65 steel hulled beast and Cats from Endeavour (condo on keels) and Leopard. Notably missing was Fontaine Pajot, except for a tired 35' Highland that I didn't see anyone boarding.

Some indication of the type of croud we had was the boats that always had boarders. Not surprisingly, they were the used boats, particularly the Hatteras 42 LRC, Camano 32, and the Endeavour 40 Sky-Lounge (condo-cat). The Beneteau 34 also did a lot better than their 44. There was a nice GB 40 something there also, but I never saw a broker open it up.

**My personal favorite was the new Krogen 52, which was curvy, sumptuous lady that exuded quality and strength. *My opinion, of course.

-- Edited by healhustler on Monday 6th of February 2012 06:35:18 PM

Attachments

• dscn5550.jpg
    dscn5550.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 131
  • leopard 39.jpg
    leopard 39.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 140
  • shades of dr. theo.jpg
    shades of dr. theo.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 134
  • live aboard.jpg
    live aboard.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 138
Bilgewater wrote:
* So we've been there, done that, did NOT get the T shirt, and most likely will never go again.*
Sounds like my experience at the very first* San Diego Fest.

I think it's all about expectation. From what I have heard and seen.Trawlerfest is pretty small-time and I feel like I could learn more at the FLL or MIA shows. I believe that Trawlerfest has it's heart in the right place, but I really think they need to backpack it onto one of the larger shows to try and attract more people and vendors. I hate it for them because I want it to be better.

Not sure what happened to them...but 12 years ago when*I taught at a couple of them...they blew any other kind of boatshow out of the water.

They were a combo of safety at sea and a personal level boat show where the only theme was trawlers/cruising.

They had big name and highly experiences cruisers/pros to lecture and man panelsof many different topics and there were hands on safety demos of shooting flares, putting out fires, damage control, etc..etc.

So if all/most of*that's gone..maybe due to the economy...I can see people's*disappointment.* It's a shame...the "old" ones were even good for pretty experienced people.* Granted after one or two...the topics/training could become old hat...but the trawler crawl, dinners, some lectures/hands on training*and seeing other new/used boats I think would be worthwhile for the basic entry fee plus whatever else*you picked.

-- Edited by psneeld on Monday 6th of February 2012 08:58:49 PM

I'm departing Bahia Mar after Trawler Fest tomorrow. Dockage was significantly more than I'd generally go for, but it was still cheaper to stay on my own boat than to get a room in the hotel.

Seminars were great, people were great. Vendors were great, but about half the number they had last year and 1/4 the number they had at Trawler Fest in Anacortes.

New boat prices are astronomical, and with their high-power engines, not at all economical. I think they'd largely appeal to folks with bucks to burn that are working too hard to maintain a manic lifestyle where they try to cram their leisure activity into narrow time windows. Not my style or preference, but then I have the luxury of being retired. I think most of the folks on this board see that a good used boat generally makes the most sense (not that there's any "sense" in owning a boat).

Being here allowed me to trade-in my old (1988) Avon Rover 310 RIB dinghy and get a brand new Livingston 9 dinghy from their local dealer - my level of new boat purchase! Tomorrow I'm off to Lantana to have a new type of UV/Infrared blocking film from 3M installed (sold by a show vendor) while I spend 2 night free at the dock behind the dealer's house. This new stuff is basically clear, but blocks 70% of UV/Infrared rays. It should look lots better on my salon windows than the Textilene covers that are there now and make a huge difference in comfort up in the pilothouse.

Sorry there wasn't a chance to connect with others from this forum at the Trawler Fest.

Jeff Wolf
Vagabond
Pilgrim 40 Trawler
At Bahia Mar in Ft. Lauderdale

Hey Jeff....while I was attending the first seminar on "Monitoring Systems", there was a guy in there that announced he had a Pilgrim. That was probably you, yes? Anyway, like you, I really regret not getting together with the other TF people there. I'll also be doing the 3M film on my pilothouse. Please let me know how it worked out.....I'm still in the process of a re-skinning job on my roof. Once that's done, I'll do the 3M film. BTW, if you get down here to Key Biscayne, I've got two outer posts at my dock with 38 ft. between them. You're welcome to them.

I rode my bike to Bahia Mar to catch the last day of Trawlerfest but missed it. I had a bad cold and did not want to spread the germs around and waited until Sunday, but Saturday was the last day! Oh well, I live a mile and half from Bahia Mar so it was a good ride on my bike on a pleasant South Florida winter day.

So if anyone is still in the area and would like a tour of Bradford Marine where I work, send a pm. Most boaters like to walk around and see the projects going on at the yard, BIG EAGLE is here for a paint job, at 170 feet it is about the biggest that can get up the New River. There are three or four 100 foot plus yachts out of the water at one time.

^^That is a great offer. I'd love to take you up on it next time Ilm over on your side.

Anyone crossing to the Gulf Coast , remember we have a free dock just short of the Ortona Lock .

healhustler - At one time you were right behind me and the mrs. at the Loop seminar. You came up to visit with some people on the right side of the room. We were right in front of them, I remember your hat. Sorry we didn't hook up.

My point of reference for this show was the Strictly Sail shows on the Navy Pier in Chicago that I have attended. They were GREAT!!!! Sure, lots of way too big boats for folks with way too much discretionary income, but also a lot of smaller craft for the entry level people. Too many vendors to count, and over a dozen seminars every 2 hours on a huge variety of subjects. I agree with GonzoF1 that they (Trawlerfest) should piggy-back with a more established show. They should focus on 1) newbies and people considering the trawler world and work to get them into the fold. and 2) those of us with older boats that do our own work and restore what we have.

I love this forum, and am still just scratching the archives on maintenance and tips. Look forward to meeting up with some of you in the future.

Bilgewater wrote:
healhustler - At one time you were right behind me and the mrs. at the Loop seminar. You came up to visit with some people on the right side of the room. We were right in front of them, I remember your hat. Sorry we didn't hook up.

My point of reference for this show was the Strictly Sail shows on the Navy Pier in Chicago that I have attended. They were GREAT!!!! Sure, lots of way too big boats for folks with way too much discretionary income, but also a lot of smaller craft for the entry level people. Too many vendors to count, and over a dozen seminars every 2 hours on a huge variety of subjects. I agree with GonzoF1 that they (Trawlerfest) should piggy-back with a more established show. They should focus on 1) newbies and people considering the trawler world and work to get them into the fold. and 2) those of us with older boats that do our own work and restore what we have.

I love this forum, and am still just scratching the archives on maintenance and tips. Look forward to meeting up with some of you in the future.
*I may be speaking a little out of turn...but I was in close for awhile years back.

The whole reason for Trwalerfests were that "traditional boatshows" other than looking at "stuff" were pretty worthless to the true, experienced cruising crowd and I agree 15000000000000000000 percent.* Shopping yes...boating no.

Trawlerfests were supposed to be more of a "cruising happening" than boat show...and the several I attended/taught at were just that.

If they have been watered down due to the economy or any other reason that's a shame....a great idea gone bad.* I hope they NEVER piggy back on a regular boat show...as I've always called traditional*boat shows.."the single greatest concentration of lies known to mankind".* I'd rather see then stop till they get back on track rather than sell out.

Well, I guess we'll see how the TF is doing relative to Boat Shows like Miami, which begins next week (16th of Feb.). They are featuring a "Trawler Port" section at the head of Collins Ave. in Miami Beach. Notably absent from the TF were several important trawler competitors, and I think they will be at Miami Trawler Port. What does that say?

healhustler wrote:
Well, I guess we'll see how the TF is doing relative to Boat Shows like Miami, which begins next week (16th of Feb.). They are featuring a "Trawler Port" section at the head of Collins Ave. in Miami Beach. Notably absent from the TF were several important trawler competitors, and I think they will be at Miami Trawler Port. What does that say?
*Well there was some sad news on the Mainship List today.* Here is the e-mail that came through.

"Luhrs Marine Group - the builder of Silverton, Luhrs, Mainship and Ovation boats - went into shutdown mode beginning Monday, the company confirmed to Soundings Trade Only.

The Millville, N.J.-based company said in a message to its dealers that it
would shut down production for 60 to 90 days to allow boat orders to
accumulate in its pipeline.

"As everyone will agree, we have all been affected in some way or another by
these hard economic times the past three years," the company said. "We have
fought hard to avoid this decision, but it is the best solution to the
current state of affairs."

The company told its dealers, "We hope you will continue to promote our
products and keep in touch with our sales team so that with your help we can again start producing the excellent products of the
<http://www.luhrsmarinegroup.com/> Luhrs Marine Group."

The shutdown does not impact Florida-based Hunter Marine Corp., which is still in production."

Sad indeed if they don't make it.

JD wrote:
Sad indeed if they don't make it.

*So true, JD. *The Luhrs Group has been one of the few producers of relatively affordable American built trawler and downeast style boats. *Good quality for the money.

I can remember when the St. Augustine *and Midway, GA Mainship plants were going full blast. *Those were good times. *Sure hope they make it.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Thursday 9th of February 2012 10:39:59 PM

Attachments

• caper at anchor (old moonstruck).jpg
    caper at anchor (old moonstruck).jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 127
Moonstruck wrote:*The Luhrs Group has been one of the few producers of relatively affordable American built trawler and downeast style boats. *Good quality for the money.
Don's photo of a Mainship Pilot 34 is one of my all time favorites. It's a good looking boat, nice turn of speed and very comfortable. It's cabin feels like a small cabin in the woods and it's cockpit suffices for just about any fishing method you can imagine. You can't go wrong with the 34' Mainship Pilot.

Attachments

• mainship.jpg
    mainship.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 154

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom