Oil change system....no valve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baggiolini

Vessel Name
Mahalo
Vessel Make
Defever 44
All,

I replaced a pump on my oil change system and while inspecting I noticed there are no valves on oil pan. Just a "L" fitting that goes into hose that goes to the pump. If I had a hose failure the engine would drain of oil promptly.

Is this common? Seems to me I should be able to shut a valve at the bottom of the oil pan but my dockside committee says it is pretty normal. Thoughts?

My oil comes out of the bottom of the oil pan and it has a shut off valve.

I as of yet have no automatic oil change system.

It would seem to me if you had it plumbed into the oil change system the ball valve would be at the pump.

No pressure so little chance of hose failure.

If it gives you a warm fuzzy the next time you are under your motor install one.

Be sure to take pictures and let us all know how it worked out for you
smile.gif

SD

Baggiolini wrote:
All,

I replaced a pump on my oil change system and while inspecting I noticed there are no valves on oil pan. Just a "L" fitting that goes into hose that goes to the pump. If I had a hose failure the engine would drain of oil promptly.

Is this common? Seems to me I should be able to shut a valve at the bottom of the oil pan but my dockside committee says it is pretty normal. Thoughts?

Yes, it might drain quickly but there shouldn't be any pressure other than the weight of the oil in the pan so I wouldn't think a failure would be very likely.* If the hose is subject to physical abuse from the outside, you could enclose it in a sheath.

My oil pan has no drain and I have to suck the oil out through the dipstick tube.* I think I would rather have a drain but it would have to be like yours because there's no way a human could reach in there and turn a valve or collect the oil in a pan.

pretty common to not have a valve...but I would think one is a good idea..I'm going to investigate further to see if there's a reason not to.

Single Ford 120, drain valve on the starboard side with a little petcock. feeds into vacuum side hose of a small hand pump. I put empty 1gal. milk jugs under the outlet hose and pump til it sucks air, close the petcock. it is a easy operation except for folding the leg and reaching and ducking under etc.

sorry, should have added that the pump stays hooked up to the valve and remains in a boat hook type clamp until needed, pull it out, pump, put it back with a small container to catch residual drips.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom