Replacing front window

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forkliftt

Guru
Vessel Name
KnotDoneYet
Vessel Make
1983 42' Present Sundeck
Hey Guys,
I have a front saloon window with a crack in it and hope to address it soon. Any idea if it is tempered or safety glass? And installation tips?

If it has a crack it has to be safety glass. Tempered would explode into a thousands of little pieces. Wood, FG or metal frame? My choice would be butyl sealing tape, available from auto glass places or RV places / web also.

Hey Keith, i have a wood frame inside and out. I haven't studied the outer frame yet, but I assume it has bungs concealing screws. Glad to hear it's safety glass. That looks to be much simpler and costs lot less.

All windows in your boat will be laminated safety glass. likely no tint,but you will need to check that so that your new window is the same as the ones beside it. All of the side windows will be 1/4". Your front windows may be thicker, to withstand the greater forces of boarding seas. You will need to take it out before buying the replacement, to verify the thickness and amount of tint. When you are done, please post the procedure, as there are others here with cracks in the various windows, who need to know how you made out.

Will do.

When you buy the glass, have them seam the edges (sand lightly). I think that will help remove stress points that might lead to cracking later. Also don't forget to use 2-3 lead setting blocks. You put them in the frame then set the glass on them. The glass should should give you some if you ask. You need 2-3 1" pieces.

Boats at anchor will usually point into the wind.

Purchase an opening (hinged?) window and enjoy the breeze a fixed glass can never provide.

This upgrade can pay for it self in fewer noise maker hours ?

I've replaced a few front windows. I get the glass shop to grind the edges to take off the sharpness but also round the corners to about 1/8" R

Back
Top Bottom