Is there a name for this thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sbu22

Guru
Vessel Name
Panache
Vessel Make
Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
This hingelike device is a sliding window lock for my vintage Viking.* I've looked a lot and not found anything like it.* Any ideas or is this a one-of ?* Failing finding a replacement, I'll have to figure out something using a hinge as the basis.* Just trying to keep the old girl real.* Appreciate any help.

Attachments

• picture 048.jpg
    picture 048.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 73
  • picture 049.jpg
    picture 049.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 74
  • picture 050.jpg
    picture 050.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 71
I owe you one, Steppen. Sometimes, nomenclature is everything.

And I always thought they were left and right handed feeblefletzers.

I thought feeblefletzers only came in top and bottom. Have they been superceded by left and right? They are still double oscilating aren't they?

-- Edited by 2bucks on Friday 2nd of December 2011 04:35:14 PM

Top and bottom are still double*oscillating but the left rights are not. The best I recall.

Delfin wrote:
****** I don't want to come across as a snob but the correct spelling is

****** "fleeblefletzers." (With 3 Ls)

SeaHorse II wrote:Delfin wrote:
****** I don't want to come across as a snob but the correct spelling is

****** "fleeblefletzers." (With 3 Ls)

*Well EXCUUUUSE Me. *I*didn't happen to go to a fancy Ivy League College. *While YOU were studying Engineering and learning how to spell Fleeblefletzer and order the right wine with your Spaghetti-O's, I was fighting Viet Cong in the jungles of Viet Nam!! *

Well, maybe I was teaching English in Australia, but still......

What the """L.."""?*

I remember learning to spell 'that' in grade 5 or was that 'Flee be' Geeses in her flizers'... whatever it was I kept me hands to me-self after dat and concentrated on me spelling.

Relax guys no need to raise a little L over a atch...*

Elwin*

Single or double-prop fleeblflitzer?

Now now Craig, let's not go there. Hey Delfin...did you really teach English in Australia or are you just yanking chain..?

Peter B wrote:
Now now Craig, let's not go there. Hey Delfin...did you really teach English in Australia or are you just yanking chain..?
*Dubbo South High School, 1st through 5th form. *

Dubbo eh - wow - famous place...well, sort of...was the zoo there then? Did you ever visit 'The Dish'..? Ie the radio telescope which relayed the TV pictures of the 1st moon landing, and immortalised in the film of the same name.

The zoo at that time was a couple of sad emus and a few roos, as I recall. *We visited again a couple of years ago and it is now quite the attraction. *I don't remember the dish, but maybe we saw it. *At that time I was more interested in geology, especially beach formations. *I noted a lot of attractive women hung our in these locations..... *We usually cleared out of town and went caravaning during school breaks to see as much of the country as we could during the 2 years we were there. *

I wanted to search out where bush fly central was - the place in Oz with the most flies per square inch - and located it during summer break in Bega near an outflow pipe at a cheese factory.

Oz is the second (maybe the first) best place on earth to live. *Heaven must look a lot like the Margaret River Valley.....

Delfin wrote:Oz is the second (maybe the first) best place on earth to live. *Heaven must look a lot like the Margaret River Valley.....
*Being an ex-NZ'er, I'd say second best, and I sometimes wonder why I left, but then I'm biased.* However, it is a pretty good place to be, here.

'The Dish' is at Parkes, not far from Dubbo, and if you'd been there you'd remember it.* There are actually 3 large radio telescope dishes there.

As for the place with most flies...my vote would actually go to Western Australia, they are legend over there.* When my wife and I did a campervan trip round the Southwest area, including the Margaret River wine district we loved it, but when we got to Albany we saw people wearing hats with things like bee-keeper veils hanging down fron the brim, and we thought, "this can't be good."* It wasn't - the flies literally landed on you like a bee swarm.* It all depends what time of the year apparently.* Their arrival announces the start of summer.

Apologies for wandering off topic, now where were we...oh yeah, I think we did name that thing.* That's why we wandered off topic....

I hope we can get to NZ in Delfin sometime soon, or at least that is the plan, via Chile. *It really does look lovely and if we had been able to, we would have worked in NZ instead of Oz, but they weren't having anything to do with furriners at the time.

Several PMMs have featured the Egret, a Nordy 46, traveling round in NZ - very interesting. Do you subscribe..? I just wish it was a sane thing to do to take my Lotus over there on her own bottom, but sadly, I don't think it would be sensible - feasible yes - sensible, no. But hey your little ship...no trouble..!

in regards to the fleeblflitzer/ window stop doohickey, what exactly does it do???* Does this "lock" my big sliding windows so I can no longer open them to crawl into my boat*when my door*lock freezes up and refuses to unlock with the key?

Pineapple Girl wrote:
*Does this "lock" my big sliding windows so I can no longer open them to crawl into my boat*when my door*lock freezes up and refuses to unlock with the key?
* * * ** Yes

SeaHorse II wrote:Pineapple Girl wrote:
*Does this "lock" my big sliding windows so I can no longer open them to crawl into my boat*when my door*lock freezes up and refuses to unlock with the key?
* * * ** Yes..... * In my case, the door lock froze up and a squirt of WD40 loosened up the lock.

SeaHorse II wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:Pineapple Girl wrote:
* * * ** Yes..... * In my case, the door lock froze up and a squirt of WD40 loosened up the lock.

You need to lock up your boats?*
no.gif

dwhatty wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:Pineapple Girl wrote:

no.gif

*Not in Miami. *Wachutalkingbout?
no.gif

dwhatty wrote:You need to lock up your boats?*
no.gif
* * * ** Yes, you see, we are in the water 12 months of the year and insurance companies tell us that burglaries happen more often when the boat is in the water. Almost no one here has trouble with break ins when their boats are on the hard. (very few boats here are on the hard.)
biggrin.gif

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Thursday 22nd of December 2011 08:28:35 PM

dwhatty wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:Pineapple Girl wrote:

no.gif

Generally we never lock our boat but when we first bought this one we thought it was so nifty it had a keyed lock installed in the door that we actually locked it once or twice.* It worked so poorly (even after trying to lube it with graphite or whatever) that we removed the lock.* We took the boat to an unfamiliar marina for two months over the summer and decided to fix the lock and buy dowels to "lock" the windows.* We never cut the dowels to fit so luckily they weren't installed as we did lock the boat the first time at the unfamiliar marina and of course I ended up crawling through the window again.* So no we don't typically lock it but it is nice to have the option.*
wink.gif

dwhatty wrote:
no.gif

I think just about everyone locks their boat in our marina.* At least everyone that I know or observe unlocking their boat when they arrive at it does.

Break-ins have occured, usually with the theft of easy-to-grab items like binoculars, hand-held radios, laptops, and so on although there have been a few instances of panel-mounted electronics being removed.

On old GBs there is enough of a gap between the edge of the door and the door frame to slip a credit card or knife blade in and work the deadbolt back.* So a couple of years ago I made up a stainless plate to cover this gap over the lock mechanism and bolted it through the door.* A determined thief will always break in somehow, but keeping a boat locked and, in our case, preventing the means from working open the lock, will deter the opportunistic guy or at least send him on to an easier boat.

We also lock our outboard to our dinghy and the dinghy to the GB.* Outboard and dinghy thefts are a problem--- not a lot of them but always three or four a year in our 2000+ boat marina.* The Port has camera monitoring, coded access doors to the main dock gates that are locked at night, and routine foot patrols but a person wanting to steal a motor can always find a way to get access to it.

Twelve years ago my pocket cutter was broken into.* The cutter was locked up but the thief broke the lock, damaging the hatch door.* Not sure that locks are the best way to minimize loss/damage.* Liveaboard neighbors at the marina are a better option.

Attachments

• img_1065.jpg
    img_1065.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 69
Depends on the locale. When I lived in the Sierra, miles from anything, I never locked the door of the house. Didn't want the repair bill for the house (lots of glass) in addition to the theft loss. On the boat, it's situational - depends a lot on where you are. I guess I just want the option to lock down the boat when I think it's prudent. Pretty much anyone with a sawzall can get into most any pleasure boat in about 30 seconds. Locks and honest people and all that stuff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom