Rudder Post leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

osprey

I have a sundeck 40 1985 marine trader. this past summer i noticed i have a crack in what i think is called a rudder post. water is coming in at this crack. i believe in this fiber glass box is a block of wood that the post runs thru. this block of wood is about 6 inches high from the bottom of the boat and incased in fiber glass. i belive i can just fiber glass over. has anyone attempted a repair for this type of problem. should i cut the fiber box open and ck this block of wood. the rudder and shaft is solid. thanks

The safest way to do this repair is to strip the area, check the hole through the hull, replace the block and FRP repair as necessary. Wood rots in this application very commonly, especially after 27 years. This is considered a boat sinker area and for good reason.

The required job is probably above the first time fiber glasser knowledge and skill set.

It will be an ALL EPOXY (and glass) repair in order to have any chance of grabbing on to old GRP , and sticking.

IF the yard crew wants to use polly resin,, the repair is above THEIR SKILL SET, find a qualified yard.

Back
Top Bottom