Italian boaters in California

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MapisM

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
DP 56 Asterion
Italian boaters visiting California

Hi everybody.
I just realized that I haven't contributed to TF for a long time, though I regularly browse it whenever I see some interesting topic in the newsletter.
I blame my laziness on one hand, and the fact that I'm more regularly attending the YBW forum, which is more focused on European and Mediterranean boating, and introduced me to several nice folks also in non-virtual world.

But now, together with my wife, we are organizing a trip to CA, and it popped to my mind that this forum, which is more "American", could be a good place to post these thoughts.
Which, as per title, are about some time that we are going to spend in San Diego: about one month and a half, starting from the second half of Jan.

A trip that has nothing to see with boating, actually.
We just like, since we are retired and boating in the Med is not so attractive in wintertime, to visit warmer places around the world.
On the other hand, having already been in southern CA several times, I'm well aware that along its coast there are plenty of boaters, if the marinas packed with all sort of boats are anything to go by.

So, I was wondering if some of you folks are based in that area and will be there during the timeframe of our stay.
If so, and if you fancy chatting a bit about boating in the Med (and also in the US, of course!), we would be glad to catch up anywhere along that coast and buy you a drink.
Also, suggestions about boating-related things to do/see in that area would be highly appreciated - many thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Blimey, 150+ views and no answers?
Either Californian boaters aren't very sociable, or are too snobbish to attend a trawler forum... :rolleyes:

Oh, well. It was worth trying.
Just in case some of you folks would come to Sardinia in the future and fancy a drink onboard, give me a shout!

Sure that would be fun. Someday I hope to get to the Med. Send me a PM and my wife and I would be delighted to meet you at the yacht club and perhaps take a spin around San Diego bay on out Norduc Tugs 32.
Ken

Dear MapisM,

Please try to make it up north to the San Francisco Bay Area. It is very different from Southern California. Cruising on S.F. Bay is very scenic. If you can come to this area, my wife and I would be happy to take you out on a cruise around the Bay on our 1990 Grand Banks 32. Please PM me if that is a possibility. We look forward to meeting you.
Cordially,
Oldersalt

Like Oldersalt says, C'mon up north to the San Francisco Bay and California Delta. Much more to see and do up here on the water than SoCal.

One negative...we have fewer bikinis.

Lemme know if you're up this way. All I need is an excuse to go out on the water.

Enjoy your travels!!

As Al said above, I agree that there will be more cruising opportunities in the vast SF Bay, Sacramento Delta region, especially in winter.
You don't want to be in unprotected ocean waters in the winter.

My only regret is that I did not spend more time cruising in that area.

MapisM,
Mi dispiace ma non sono in barca nella prima parte del'anno. Forse quando viene ancora.
Ciao!

I lived 30 years in the Bay area and cruised extensively and kept boats in Sausalito and the delta over the years. I agree there is much to see but I think you are a bit harsh on San Diego for what is a short 1-2 hour cruise. I have family and guests along often and between the downtown waterfront, maritime museum, Coronado Island, south Bay military ship repair areas and others it is delightful. Also better weather and none of the winds and currents in the SF Bay. I absolutely do miss the boating in that area and plan to get back for an extended boat cruise next summer!

...I agree there is much to see but I think you are a bit harsh on San Diego for what is a short 1-2 hour cruise. ...

I was just teasing my TF friends down south. They know I love the area.

Sure that would be fun. Someday I hope to get to the Med. Send me a PM and my wife and I would be delighted to meet you at the yacht club and perhaps take a spin around San Diego bay on out Norduc Tugs 32.
Ken
Many thanks Ken, that sounds fantastic, and goes without saying that I will also be glad to show you my Med cruising grounds whenever you will fancy coming this way. Btw, I love Nordic Tugs! :thumb:
I will get in touch via PM in due course.

Thanks a lot also to all others further North.
We have been in SF years ago, and loved it.
Probably our preferred town in the whole US - not that we can say to have seen all of them, but quite a few.
At the moment, we are not planning to extend our trip up there, also because actually we are not going to stay in San Diego for the whole month and a half of our trip: in between, we will also fly to Kauai and spend a dozen of days there.
Btw, I didn't dare asking if there are also forumites based in the Aloha State, but if any, raise a flag!
On the other hand, we will have a rented car in CA, and we very much like driving along the W coast. Besides, our return flight will be from LAX.
So, who knows, if we'll be in the mood of making a long scenic drive before flying back home, we might consider driving up to SF, a few days before leaving...
If so, I will update this thread accordingly!

In the meantime, thanks anyhow for all your kind offers.
You would all be welcome to get in touch if and when you should be around Sardinia in the future, regardless of whether we will make it to SF during this trip or not!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom