St Johns River FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lipets

Vessel Make
Benneteau Swift 42
Anyone run the river tip suggestions,

average water depth?

St. John’s River is deep. I ran it last year. I don’t remember exactly how deep.

Better that 12’ all the way from Jacksonville to Sanford when I ran it earlier earlier this year. A lot of 20’ to 30’ except in lakes where it gets a little shallower.

good info, someone told me it had many shallows, how about fuel just in case I ran low.

Any stops for groceries?

We did the St. Johns in 2018, no problems in our 5' draft, it gets skinny on some of the lakes, but really a non-issue. There are plenty of places to provision, lots of Old Florida charm, we had no problem with provisioning, most of the larger towns you can find an Uber. We carry 900 gal of fuel, so that's not ever a concern. There are places along the route to fuel. A number of public free docks, no power most no water, but great stopovers. Hontoon State Park is really delightful. All very laid back. There's a large marina at Sanford, lots of cruisers make it a winter camp out destination. Delightful town. St John's cruise should be a must on every cruiser's itinerary list. We thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

About 24 mi in from the ICW past downtown Jax is Ortega Landing, one of the nicest marinas you’ll ever visit (if they have transient space), they have a pool and free bicycles to ride to nearby restaurants and a nice Publix grocery store.

About 24 mi in from the ICW past downtown Jax is Ortega Landing, one of the nicest marinas you’ll ever visit (if they have transient space), they have a pool and free bicycles to ride to nearby restaurants and a nice Publix grocery store.

As of today, very limited availability until after the 1st of the year. Bruce indicated they're at about 98% occupancy. Some smaller slips available, none for our requirements (16W 47L 5D) Arrivals outnumber departures. You'll have to call to be sure. We always enjoy our time there, frequent flyers.

Thinking maybe March, 2 weeks or so

I went up to Sanford in March, and really enjoyed the trip. Much of it is in quiet old Florida, and away from the crowds once you clear Jacksonville area. Lots of water.

I’ve lived most of my life around Sanford and plenty of small boat experience from Blue Springs to where the St John ends past the marshes of Lake Harney where it becomes air boat country.
If your early on the water in the morning, you’ll see gators sunbathing on the banks. Early because once boat traffic starts up, they swim away. Stay center channel. The sand bars build up fast on turns. The river flows fast toward Lake Monroe so you will use more fuel heading back.
Blue Springs is a great spring to stop and check out. The manatees run there in the winter and slow idle speeds are enforced. Bring cabbage heads, they love them. Don’t go past Sanford in anything bigger than 30 feet unless you have a local with you. But take the dingy and explore all the way to Lake Harney. It’s the Florida beauty most visitors never get to see. I use to water-sky from Monroe to Lake Harney. Sanford has grown into a nice town. They have a lot of nice shops and pubs along the water now. You know that’s where Larry The Cable Guy is from?

Cheers

I’ve lived most of my life around Sanford and plenty of small boat experience from Blue Springs to where the St John ends past the marshes of Lake Harney where it becomes air boat country.

Sounds beautiful! How about coming from the other way (the Atlantic coast)?

How far down the St. John can you get in an average-sized coastal cruiser? Say, 3.5' draft and 16' air draft?

More to the point, if I were searching central Florida for a place to keep my boat, and still need access to the Atlantic, how far down should I stop looking?

Sounds beautiful! How about coming from the other way (the Atlantic coast)?

How far down the St. John can you get in an average-sized coastal cruiser? Say, 3.5' draft and 16' air draft?

More to the point, if I were searching central Florida for a place to keep my boat, and still need access to the Atlantic, how far down should I stop looking?

The 16' draft is close to the limit at hwy 415 at Gators Riverside Grille.
There is a marina there. I would not take your boat much further. If this link doesn't work you can copy and paste. The photos shows the bridge.

I was just at Gators a few months ago. Yes they have good gator bites.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/G...54f574f358decf!8m2!3d28.8024394!4d-81.2112379

As of today, very limited availability until after the 1st of the year. Bruce indicated they're at about 98% occupancy. Some smaller slips available, none for our requirements (16W 47L 5D) Arrivals outnumber departures. You'll have to call to be sure. We always enjoy our time there, frequent flyers.

I think 5-6 boats here are leaving for St. Augustine starting tomorrow through the 1st...

-Chris

The 16' draft is close to the limit at hwy 415 at Gators Riverside Grille.
There is a marina there. I would not take your boat much further. If this link doesn't work you can copy and paste. The photos shows the bridge.

I was just at Gators a few months ago. Yes they have good gator bites.

Thanks! That's a long run from the ocean. Lots of territory to explore!

Haven't had gator bites in years. Mmmmm.

Last time I went there was no diesel in Sanford.

Check along the way.

The river is beautiful!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom