Diesel transfer pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Asking for recommendation for a moderate sized/volume /cost diesel transfer pump. Vessel is a Willard 36 with saddle tanks, 200g per side. Perkins 4.236 (75 hp) with 3/8" fuel lines. Not looking for a gold-plated solution here, just a solid transfer pump (yes, will put a fuel filter inline for basic polishing, but not valved for use underway and not a hi-volume polishing system).

Thoughts? Model of pump and possibly a source would be particularly helpful

Thanks in advsnce

Peter.

I’ve got a pretty simple transfer set up. It has a 900 Racor inline with pump plumbed to three tanks. The fill hose is loose with a quick disconnect so I can roll it up and drain it when finished. The switch just has a couple of alligator clips that I attach to the generator battery. I think the pump is 90 gph. I’ll check the brand and model# next time out.

I found a picture of it that I had stored.

Attachments

• DEA9CFD0-5AF9-4B49-BC84-F1474C202770.jpg
    DEA9CFD0-5AF9-4B49-BC84-F1474C202770.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I have a Reverso OP-7 as a diesel fuel transfer pump and the pump to prime my filters when I do filter changes. 12 VDC and it works awesome on the manifold I have.

I used this Walbro pump. Great reliability and doesn't draw too much power.

https://www.walbro.com/fr-series-fuel-pumps/frb-13-reciprocating-fuel-pump/

This is a little closer to what I was thinking, though the throughput is 0.75 gpm vs ~5 gpm on the Groco/Jabsco. As part of my refit, I am replacing two 200g steel saddle tanks with four 100g fiberglass tanks; and am re-doing the entire fuel delivery system to include sight gauges and valves to direct intake/return flow (Groco makes a really nice 4-way valve that greatly reduces the valve complexity). Also added inspection ports.

Follow-on question: Has anyone used a Toilet Paper bypass filter? I do not have room for a Gulf Coast Filter or Racor 900 for polishing, but considering a TP Frantz filter - thoughts?

As an aside, many thanks for the input. I'm pretty knowledgeable about a lot of boat stuff, but it's really helpful to bounce ideas off others. I've gotten some great input on TF - Sincerely appreciated.

If you plan on filtration (as many of us do) then keep in mind that even a Racor 1000 is only rated at 180 GPH.

Years ago when I traveled through Central America to Venezuela and needed extra range I set up three 55 gallon plastic drums on my cockpit deck. To transfer fuel when needed I put together a home made system using a pump (forget which type), the necessary hoses etc, powered by a battery and that worked super fine. No special filtration. Was a one time thing and never had to use them again.

On eBay you can find diesel transfer pumps for $20 on up moving 1-10 gpm.

ditto on the timer. I did have a fuel spill in the past by forgetting the switch. Today the fines are expensive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom