Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   Power Systems (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s6/)
-   -   Articulating Rudder (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s6/articulating-rudder-47176.html)

Cartouche 10-19-2019 04:55 PM

Articulating Rudder
 
We have a Mainship 390, and are wanting to install an articulating rudder, we are in Ontario Canada, anyone have any leads as to who sells and or manufactures them. Many thanks

Comodave 10-19-2019 05:21 PM

There is a thread on a Mainship 34 articulating rudder from 8/27/17 in the Mainship group. It may help you, or not...

Cartouche 10-19-2019 05:23 PM

Many thanks saw the clip, but does not help with where to buy, many thanks

Comodave 10-19-2019 05:26 PM

The company in the video is BEI, but I tried googling it and didnít see a company. But several hits about people getting ARs from BEI.

Cartouche 10-19-2019 05:32 PM

Many thanks that is who I am trying to track down

Comodave 10-19-2019 05:38 PM

Found another thread titled torgue for articulated rudders. It is from 1/30/12 and is in the Maintenance and Systems - Electrical and Electronics and Navigation group.

Comodave 10-19-2019 05:41 PM

I think that BEI is Bayview Engineering in Washington state. Jamie Wells is supposed to be the owner.

Nomad Willy 10-19-2019 07:48 PM

Cartouche,
Have you considered just adding onto the TE of the existing rudder? Or rigging your rudder shaft and post for a wider swing?


How fast is your boat?

makobuilders 10-19-2019 10:31 PM

Simplest solution might be just adding a fishtail wedge

syjos 10-19-2019 10:47 PM

Deflector Marine Rudde in Nacelle, WA and Bayview Engineering in Oak Harbor, WA both make the articulating rudders. Deflector has been manufacturing these for years and build out of metal and plastics. Bayview is relatively new in the rudder market - around 10 years

Lowell Stambaugh from Deflectors Marine is a regular exhibitor at the Pacific Marine Expo held in Seattle and will be an exhibitor November 21-23, 2019. Their web site is dmr.one. The owner, Lowell is very knowledgeable and is quite the character. He is, I believe, an engineer and will talk you ear off. Make sure you listen because he will tell you everything to know about articulating rudders.

syjos 10-19-2019 11:02 PM

I've driven several boats; 2 pleasure and 1 commercial with articulating rudders.

They are nice to have. Allows singles to back straight and turn to either side in reverse. It does 180's and 360's in a smaller circle.

However, the cost of around $8,000 and up plus installation is tough to justify. I priced one about 15 years ago and have not checked recent prices. The articulating rudder is definitely an improvement but I don't know if it's an $8,000 improvement.

Comodave 10-19-2019 11:04 PM

I put a stern thruster on my boat a couple of years ago, cost around $4000. But I did the install myself. That may be a better value.

mvweebles 10-19-2019 11:14 PM

I was looking at an articulating rudder earlier this year to add to my Willard 36 displacement trawler which I am refitting. After many messages, I have decided on a fishtail modification of my existing rudder. I talked to several people and belive it will get 80% of the benefit with 20% of the cosfe/effort. Plus, not having a moving part below waterline is a good thing.

That said, if your heart is set on an articulating rudder, well, I tried the same folks on BC you note and did not receive info back. I also tried reaching pit to Dave Gerr, NA and author of Propellor Handbook. He wanted a consulting fee of course which was reasonable, but I ultimately decided to go a DIY route

syjos 10-20-2019 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvweebles (Post 812925)
I was looking at an articulating rudder earlier this year to add to my Willard 36 displacement trawler which I am refitting. After many messages, I have decided on a fishtail modification of my existing rudder. I talked to several people and belive it will get 80% of the benefit with 20% of the cosfe/effort. Plus, not having a moving part below waterline is a good thing.

That said, if your heart is set on an articulating rudder, well, I tried the same folks on BC you note and did not receive info back. I also tried reaching pit to Dave Gerr, NA and author of Propellor Handbook. He wanted a consulting fee of course which was reasonable, but I ultimately decided to go a DIY route

I'll be interested in the results when you complete the rudder modification.

Cartouche 10-20-2019 11:13 AM

No I have not interesting thought but would need some engineering assistance

Cartouche 10-20-2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makobuilders (Post 812910)
Simplest solution might be just adding a fishtail wedge

What's a fishtale wedge, appreciate all suggestions

Cartouche 10-20-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syjos (Post 812914)
Deflector Marine Rudde in Nacelle, WA and Bayview Engineering in Oak Harbor, WA both make the articulating rudders. Deflector has been manufacturing these for years and build out of metal and plastics. Bayview is relatively new in the rudder market - around 10 years

Lowell Stambaugh from Deflectors Marine is a regular exhibitor at the Pacific Marine Expo held in Seattle and will be an exhibitor November 21-23, 2019. Their web site is dmr.one. The owner, Lowell is very knowledgeable and is quite the character. He is, I believe, an engineer and will talk you ear off. Make sure you listen because he will tell you everything to know about articulating rudders.

Much appreciated I am in eastern Canada on the shores of the st Lawrence river, and Lake Ontario. will see if I can do anything via the web

Cartouche 10-20-2019 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comodave (Post 812919)
I put a stern thruster on my boat a couple of years ago, cost around $4000. But I did the install myself. That may be a better value.

Dave what stern thruster did you install, I am concerned about power requirements thus the reason for looking at an articulated rudder

Cartouche 10-20-2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syjos (Post 812931)
I'll be interested in the results when you complete the rudder modification.

me to

ben2go 10-20-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartouche (Post 812998)
What's a fishtale wedge, appreciate all suggestions

It's a 90 degree angle mated to the rudder edge in a way to make it look like a fish tail when viewed from above.


https://www.becker-marine-systems.co..._tt_illu_1.png


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012