If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnP

Guru
Vessel Name
V E N T U R E
Vessel Make
1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
I was poking around my engine "room" looking for a new home for my 4d main batteries.

They are centerline mounted on the engine stringers against the aft bulkhead,* this is the place I want to install a 4kw generator.

Figured I would move them against the forward bulkhead one on each side of the engine stringers.* I looked at all the cabling to the batteries and they did a nice job putting this all together.* I finally looked at my manual and now realize how the dc wiring system works.

There is a solenoid panel in front of the engine, that has two main Battery cutoffs (operable from under the steps to the forward cabin)

It also has a solenoid which works in conjunction with the starter switch and parallels the batteries each and everytime you start.

The battery selector switch on the main panel just selects which battery the house loads will be drawn from.** 1,2, Both.*** An isolator feeds charging current from the alternator to each battery separately.

The system has worked well, in fact I was not even aware how well it worked because the engine always starts strong even after overnites with lighting, Tv, frig, pumps, all drawing juice.

I plan to leave this system intact and install another starting battery for the generator, and probably an emergency parallel switch to allow the genny battery to start the main or vice versa if need be.

Does anyone with an early 1980s Ig still use this original system?

Has it caused any problems?

I am attaching a diagram from my manual ( the soleniod panel is highlighted in red)

JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Tuesday 22nd of November 2011 06:06:16 PM

Attachments

• seloniod.jpg
    seloniod.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 142
Hi John,

Yep, I have a similar setup with my IG. I am a bit lazy and leave my batteries on the 'both' option, as I run the gen for at least an hour or so in the morning, this tops them up nicely.Although I vaguely remember this is not the recomended method.

I doubt that your proposed battery for the stand alone gen would be anywhere near powerful enough to turn over the Lehman's. Probably would'nt be necessary to do that anyway given that I am assuming the gen will be hooked up to your battery charger.

Andy,* Good point about the generator charging the main batts thru the charger.

I thought instead of a group24 starting batt for the genny I would upsize to a group27 starting batt. The group 27 packs a lot of cranking amps enough I thought for the Lehman if the mains batts were dead. If not I will stick with the smaller battery.

JohnP

Well the group 27 battery would certainly start the 4KW Gen, probably frighten the life out of it.Have you got a decent battery charger on board, or are you doing an upgrade on that?

I had got a newer charger but it is only a 12amp two bank charger.

The name escapes me at the moment, but it is a decent brand.

Probably need something of higher amperage to use in conjunction with the generator.

The 12volt lighting load can easily exceed the 12amps and start drawing down the batts.* At the dock this was not and issue as the shore power is available 24/7

On the hook without a genny all dc loads are drawn from the batts with no way to charge except the mains alternator.

I should probably upgrade to a 20 to 40 amp charger so all dc loads are handled by the charger when 120volt power is available.

Andy, What amperage is your charger?********John

I think it is a 40 amp unit, I am going down to the boat this afternoon to check on a leak,so I will have a look. I think a good size charger is a must, well it is for the way we use the boat.

Yep, it's a 'Trucharger' 40 amp came with the boat, keeps everthing charged up nicely.

Found the leak, the stuffing box on the prop shaft on the port engine, is dripping at the rate of one drip a second. Another messy, cramped job coming up. The battery box for the gen's starter battery is built over the top of the port shaft, so to get at the shaft I have to remove the battery and dismantle the battery box housing, to tighten the stuffing box.

The engine room sure has a lot of stuff packed in, some of it a nightmare to get at.God help me if I ever have to replace the fuel tanks.

Andy G wrote:
Yep, it's a 'Trucharger' 40 amp came with the boat, keeps everthing charged up nicely.
**********I will see how it goes, I guess swapping out for a higher amp charger is not a big project, compared to putting a generator in a boat that never had one.

********* JohnP

Andy G wrote:
*the stuffing box on the prop shaft on the port engine, is dripping at the rate of one drip a second. Another messy, cramped job coming up. The battery box for the gen's starter battery is built over the top of the port shaft, so to get at the shaft I have to remove the battery and dismantle the battery box housing, to tighten the stuffing box.
*Andy,

We shifted the genset battery box a few inches aft to access* the port stuffing box, there`s still room to get the front cover off the genset and* access the raw water valve/strainer.

No dedicated house battteries is odd, it`s the design so I`m loath to change. The genset+charger becomes back up so we gave its battery its own solar panel, using a simple regulator.

Our battery, charger, main switch layout looks original, seems like yours.

BruceK

Bruce
Yep, I agree the battery set up with no dedicated starter battery, did concern me when I bought the boat, but in the 5 years we have had her, it has never let me down.I will look to see if I can move the battery box for shaft access.At present we are on shore power at the club, however it's all getting a bit expensive so am looking to put it on a mooring.Are you happy with the solar power set up, as back up for gen battery?

John
Have you been following the two recent posts on 'Battery Charges', correct size etc, might be of interest.

Andy G wrote:
Bruce
Yep, I agree the battery set up with no dedicated starter battery, did concern me when I bought the boat, but in the 5 years we have had her, it has never let me down.Are you happy with the solar power set up, as back up for gen battery?
*Hi Andy,

Doriana was disused when we bought in 2010, battteries old & undercharged, new N200s fixed that but I kept the N150 genset batttery, new 2008, it hydrometer tested ok.* Its power may be critical to the genset fuel solenoid, which sometimes I have to operate manually, maybe the N150 needs replacing now. I don`t blame the 25w panel, it keeps the battery well charged, cost $100 on Ebay, more than paying for itself in battery life.

I fitted 90watts of panels (3 @30 watts joined, size to suit location) to each N200 via smart 3 stage + equilization regulators. Charged batteries last/perform better and the panels help run an original under settee Moorebank Refrigeration Danfoss fridge when not using the eutectic. Shorepower, what luxury!we`re on a swing mooring.

BruceK

Back
Top Bottom