Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   Trailerable or Pocket Trawlers (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s37/)
-   -   50yr old Oday Mariner 2+2 19ft sailboat to mini trawler conversion (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s37/50yr-old-oday-mariner-2-2-19ft-sailboat-mini-trawler-conversion-47099.html)

Durant F 10-15-2019 03:55 PM

50yr old Oday Mariner 2+2 19ft sailboat to mini trawler conversion

7 Attachment(s)
Hi all
I’ve cruised all over but never the canal systems so close to home in Ontario Canada. The Rideau, Trent, and Erie canals are all close by.
Wanted trailer ability, reliability, and low cost both to own and operate.
Retired with a shop to work out of, bought an old Oday Mariner 2+2 on a good trailer for 30% of what a new trailer alone would cost.
Set about stripping off parts, doing a few rough drawings for “intentions” (knowing these things tend to evolve as they go) and went about getting brutal with a saws all.
Intention is retain the Vberth it came with, aft galley and small drop down dinette to Port, small private aft head, cabinet and helm to starboard.
Power will be a new, small outboard for economy and dependability. These hulls are easily driven with 5hp.
Worst part in these pictures was scraping 50yrs and 4 colours of antifouling paint off!
Just nasty! But figured easier like this than working on my back.

Durant F 10-15-2019 04:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Once back inside, got it levelled and did a few mock ups

boathealer 10-15-2019 04:14 PM

These guys used to convert Compac sailboats to mini trawlers. Some old archive information seems to be available......

North Carolina Sailboats 2

tiltrider1 10-15-2019 04:18 PM

I always find Frankensteining an old boat interesting.

Durant F 10-15-2019 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boathealer (Post 811557)
These guys used to convert Compac sailboats to mini trawlers. Some old archive information seems to be available......

North Carolina Sailboats 2

Keith is extremely handy and a wealth of boat knowledge.
Have known him quite a while and even been in his shop. Heís also done a few Mariner 2+2 conversions.
Mine will have a much larger cabin, much smaller cockpit and more for cruising.

Durant F 10-15-2019 05:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
First step in building the new cabin was ceiling height.
I wanted standing head room in the center 2 feet but with the remainder port and starboard angled down for looks.
This Center window became thee most important piece as the ridge boards will run level aft to either side of the companionway entrance.
You can see how it progresses from that defining Center windshield piece in the pictures

RT Firefly 10-15-2019 05:48 PM

Greetings,
Mr. DF. Well. This is something you don't see every day. Commendable! Are you planning on tiller steering or will you have a helm? Electric start? Beauty eh?

Durant F 10-15-2019 06:13 PM

Will need an 8 or 9hp outboard to get electric start. The 5hp merc sailboat model has a 4amp alternator, long shaft and power prop. The 5 would move 5his displacement hull fine but I’m thinking electric start... I’m getting old ��
Inside helm....

PS... it’s Frank

boatpoker 10-15-2019 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Durant F (Post 811587)
Will need an 8 or 9hp outboard to get electric start. The 5hp merc sailboat model has a 4amp alternator, long shaft and power prop. The 5 would move 5his displacement hull fine but Iím thinking electric start... Iím getting old ��
Inside helm....

PS... itís Frank

My buddy Robert has been turning this canoe stern Nordica 20 sailboat into a tug for several years (Inboard 2cyl. Yanmar driving twins shafts via hydraulics).

Durant F 10-15-2019 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatpoker (Post 811600)
My buddy Robert has been turning this canoe stern Nordica 20 sailboat into a tug for several years (Inboard 2cyl. Yanmar driving twins shafts via hydraulics).

Twin screws on an 18ft displacement hull....really?
As long as heís having fun!
All us boaters are crazy arenít we!!

boatpoker 10-15-2019 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durant F (Post 811646)
Twin screws on an 18ft displacement hull....really?
As long as heís having fun!
All us boaters are crazy arenít we!!

He's the resident mechanic in a 600 slip marina. The "tug" will be used to move boats around the harbour. He figures twin props are essential

Durant F 10-15-2019 11:12 PM

Like I said.... as long as heís havin fun!

Durant F 10-16-2019 01:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Cabin top coming together

Durant F 10-16-2019 05:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Exterior as I left her until next spring to work on

Durant F 10-17-2019 01:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Interior as I left her until next spring
Starboard is :
Aft head (door to follow)
Shelving unit when complete
Helm seat

Port is :
Aft galley, drawer, sink etc to follow
Dinette with drop down table when complete

Itís been fun so far!
Biggest issue will be getting remote throttle/gear and remote steering for a small outboard!

hdeeks 10-19-2019 04:16 PM

Outstanding work Frank!

RT Firefly 10-19-2019 04:30 PM

Greetings,
Mr. hd. Welcome aboard.

Mr. DF. WOW! Are you sure you can wait until next spring? Have you considered stability at all? I know nothing about it (both nautical and mental) but will she be unstable with all the added weight above the gunwales? Did she or will she have any added ballast? NICE shop!.

Sailor of Fortune 10-19-2019 04:38 PM

I like these projects,looks great

Durant F 10-19-2019 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RT Firefly (Post 812814)
Greetings,
Mr. hd. Welcome aboard.

Mr. DF. WOW! Are you sure you can wait until next spring? Have you considered stability at all? I know nothing about it (both nautical and mental) but will she be unstable with all the added weight above the gunwales? Did she or will she have any added ballast? NICE shop!.

Good question
It’s actually quite light. 3/8 sides and 1/4 roof. The minimal 1x2 pine framing is super light!
Sides have lots cut out with windows and the plexiglas won’t weigh much
Plus, there’s the weight of the original cabin and cockpit seats, floor etc gone now. This boat originally had a centreboard and motored well with it fully retracted. That said, I will be adding about 100lbs of lead and use 2 or 3 bags of concrete to “level out” the floor beside the helm, so yes, it will have ballast but no, it wouldn’t have been as unstable as you’d think.
Have a look at the chart attached. I’m using inexpensive spruce plywood (softwood)
So far, 4-3/8 and 2-1/4 with about another half sheet of 3/8 to finish. Not as heavy as you’d think..

Yep, too cold in the shop now in NE Ontario and I’m out in the PNW on my trawler until December.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...man-33804.html

Then the Abacos to work on my sailboat that faired better than most but still needs attention after Dorian’s brutal pass...

Nomad Willy 10-19-2019 07:38 PM

Willard Look-Alike

1 Attachment(s)
Frank,
She looks like my Willard w the fwd windows.