Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/)
-   -   "Potty" stains from waste overflow (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/potty-stains-waste-overflow-47088.html)

Chrisjs 10-16-2019 03:43 PM

Our Selene 47 had a plastic tank - probably just as well - I am guessing an FRP tank would have split under pressure, whereas the plastic tank at least had some flexibility to swell.

HeadMistress 10-16-2019 05:27 PM

Or better yet, replace your existing tank level monitor with one that uses senders that attach to the outside of the tank and never have to clean the senders again.

Practical Sailor rated SCAD the best. If your existing system is a Dometic/SeaLand TankWatch, the existing wiring will work with a SCAD. Scad Tank Monitors.

--Peggie

HeadMistress 10-16-2019 05:48 PM

What do you think about using eco friendly, fast dissolving TP?

If your toilets are Tecma or Raritan Marine Elegance, they can chew up any toilet paper. But any TP that can pass this test is safe to use in any marine toilet:

Tear off a couple of sheets and put 'em in a mason jar or glass of water. Come back in an hour and shake the jar or stir the glass. If the water is milky and all you see is "snow" that TP is can safely be flushed through any marine toilet. But if the sheets are still intact or even mostly intact, try another brand.

Instead of installing another filter, try switching from whatever tank product you're using now (that obviously isn't working or you wouldn't need a filter) to No-Flex Digestor Noflex Digestor Not only does it PREVENT odor out the vent in most systems, but it also digests/dissolves sludge and helps to keep the tank walls clean.

--Peggie

HeadMistress 10-16-2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisjs (Post 811889)
Our Selene 47 had a plastic tank - probably just as well - I am guessing an FRP tank would have split under pressure, whereas the plastic tank at least had some flexibility to swell.

It would have to be a pretty thin walled FRP tank to split. And your plastic tank has to be a top quality thick-walled tank or it would have split--and could have anyway if you'd kept flushing. In either case, if you'd kept flushing/increasing the pressure, it's highly likely that the tank contents would have escaped via the only available route, turning your toilet into "Old Faithful" while your finger was still on the flush button. And before you ask...No, the joker valve wouldn't have stopped it...that much pressure turns a joker valve inside out.

--Peggie

SailorGreg 10-17-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julsburd (Post 811413)
So... we found out the hard way when our waste tank has reached capacity... it seems our Full tank light comes on and then it has reached the absolute max.... no room for anymore. We were trying to be good new boat owners and were using plenty of water in our techma toilets. Anyway we woke up to a slight overflow dribble out of the waste port that has stained our fiberglass deck. Any advice as to what to use to remove this? Our boat has been recently detailed so the fiberglass has been waxed but it stained anyway.

For cleaning stains on glass, my favorite technique is to first try a cleaner/wax. If that doesnít work I go to 3M FinesseIt glaze, then follow up w wax. Quick and easy and no mess.

Julsburd 10-21-2019 02:03 PM

All good advice. Thank you! When we get back to the boat we'll try a cleaner/wax for the stain and then we'll figure out what we need to do to the vent filter situation. Glad to hear that it's Ok to use TP! Hopefully the pump out went ok while we were gone. Assuming no news is good news?? On another subject... would the Selene owners who responded to my post with such informative help, be interested in beginning a "Selene" section in the Manufacturers area of this forum? I think it would be a very direct way to share specific info about our particular boats? I asked the forum management about doing this and they tell me to "talk it up in the forum" but then I don't have the ability to make the administrative changes on the actual website??

Crusty Chief 10-21-2019 02:23 PM

Might be a good Idea. I think we have about a dozen or so Selene owners that contribute on a regular basis, maybe a few more that are somewhat active.
Got my vote!

Maerin 10-21-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RT Firefly (Post 811454)
Greetings,

Mr. J. Why is waste staining your deck? Any, inadvertent, overflow waste should be coming out your tank vent which should be on the exterior of the hull NOT the pump out deck fitting.

His Selene is one that's configured as mine is, with no vent penetrations direct to seaward, other than thru-hulls, all of which are equipped with thru hull valves. The engine room air vents, fresh air inlets, all the tank fills, vents, any penetration of that sort is located in the protected area of the portuguese bridge or walkways. My take is that it's part of the "Ocean Trawler" design mindset. Tank fills are all inset into the bulkhead. If the fuel vent pukes because you're over-filling, it pukes onto the deck rather than directly into the water. Gives you a chance to catch it. Good for the environment, but maybe not so good if the boat is fitted with teak decks! Later hulls have exterior vents for water/waste. Fuel vents, AFAIK remain in the same configuration.

BTW, to the OP, the stain may be gone till you return. Exposure to UV removes a lot of stains! If it still needs help and the barkeeper's friend isn't enough, On & Off will do the trick. Be careful, it will LITERALLY strip your skin. You'll find where you splashed your shorts when they come out of the wash.

BrianSmith 10-21-2019 04:46 PM

We had the same problem with our Tankwatch system - the "FULL" light came on when the tank was FULL!!!!! I solved that problem by ordering a single float sensor assembly from SeaLand and installing it so that its float is about 5 or 6 flushes below FULL!!!!!, then switched the wires from the existing FULL sensor to the new one. Simple solution, works great, and the cost of the single sensor float assembly was under US$100, I think. (Our system came with the 3-sensors-in-one unit, and the FULL sensor on that unit isn't adjustable. I'm guessing yours is the same.)

RT Firefly 10-21-2019 06:10 PM

Greetings,
Mr. M. Thanks for the information. I've never met anyone rich enough to own a Selene much less been on one.

I DO like the idea of fuel vents inboard. I'm super paranoid of a puke-out from the tank vent when fueling. If we were keeping the boat I'd look into moving ours inboard.

Maerin 10-21-2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianSmith (Post 813437)
We had the same problem with our Tankwatch system - the "FULL" light came on when the tank was FULL!!!!! I solved that problem by ordering a single float sensor assembly from SeaLand and installing it so that its float is about 5 or 6 flushes below FULL!!!!!, then switched the wires from the existing FULL sensor to the new one. Simple solution, works great, and the cost of the single sensor float assembly was under US$100, I think. (Our system came with the 3-sensors-in-one unit, and the FULL sensor on that unit isn't adjustable. I'm guessing yours is the same.)

Same problem. I took a different approach, I took a couple of pieces of extruded polystyrene and shaped them into discs to match the OD of the float, then used light shrink tube to make about a 2" extension. Works like a charm.

BrianSmith 10-28-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maerin (Post 813478)
Same problem. I took a different approach, I took a couple of pieces of extruded polystyrene and shaped them into discs to match the OD of the float, then used light shrink tube to make about a 2" extension. Works like a charm.

I was going to do something like that, but I couldn't find anything that I knew would stand up to the environment inside the tank. I called SeaLand to see if they would sell me 2 or 3 of their little floats, and that's when they told me I could just buy a separate sensor. I like your approach better - much less expensive, same result!