Pacific Crossing - West to East

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

totalNewb

Veteran Member
Hi Everyone

I was wondering if anyone has done this route in reverse?

how-to-sail-across-the-pacific-crossing-tips-map-630x296.jpg

I'm interested in the possibility of doing it in a Nordhavn 43 (or 41).

Also, is there a single resource for planning a trip like this for people who've never done it? I read and watch as much as possible but everything in one spot would be a big time saver!

Have a look at the Pacific Puddle Jump, for east to west. However they have some great information and stories. Also, you may be able to at least time it so you can keep in touch with various boats on that journey even if you are going in the opposite direction - when it hits the fan in the middle of the pacific, the direction someone is going is less important that how far away help is!

Because of the prevailing currents (look at the pilots charts or just the sea currents), you'll probably find very very few who try and go west to east south of the equator unless they are way way south. Most of the good currents west to east are north of the equator, changing the jumping off point quite a lot as there's a lot of ocean and almost no land in both north and south Pacific, but just above the equator there's precious little once you've left the Phillipines!

I hope you didn't drink in the Nordhaven's line on 8000nm range on the new 41 - I thought it had been quite debunked...

I hope you didn't drink in the Nordhaven's line on 8000nm range on the new 41 - I thought it had been quite debunked...

I believe the Nordhavn (Leishman) as much as admitted that those figures provided by the engine manufacturer (IIRC) were highly unlikely to be realized in a real world situation. What the OP is proposing is also a puddle jump, with the longest leg being about 3000 nm, which may be doable. The Nordhavn website will have accounts of the circumnavigation they did with one of their smaller boats and I believe a number of 46's have done this. At the very least he will be able to get some real world data on diesel usage per the engines in the boats that have done it, and whether on board tankage was sufficient or if extra fuel in bladders was ever required.

Thanks for the info and the PPJ resource.

No I didn't drink that 'kool aid'! But wouldn't it be nice...

... What the OP is proposing is also a puddle jump, with the longest leg being about 3000 nm, which may be doable. The Nordhavn website will have accounts of the circumnavigation they did with one of their smaller boats and I believe a number of 46's have done this. At the very least he will be able to get some real world data on diesel usage per the engines in the boats that have done it, and whether on board tankage was sufficient or if extra fuel in bladders was ever required.

The shorter hops look doable. I'm not sure how the currents will affect overall speed (still looking into this). I did find bladder tank mfrs ATL Inc http://atlinc.com/rangeextender.html which look like they could do the job.

I'm trying to get big picture possibilities at the moment, as I am as my profile name suggests, a total newb!

Having done that east to west, I would never in a million years buck that all the way across. Sailboaters trying to make it home from New Zealand typically hang at latitude 35 south till SSW of French Poly, then North to Tahiti, the line Islands and Hawaii before heading NE to San Francisco. You WILL be into the wind. You WILL be hit by a storm on latitude 35S. From Hawaii you are typically home free.
Get Jimmy Cornell's book World Cruising Routes to find routes and distances and times of the year to do this.

Hi Everyone

I was wondering if anyone has done this route in reverse?

I'm interested in the possibility of doing it in a Nordhavn 43 (or 41).

Also, is there a single resource for planning a trip like this for people who've never done it? I read and watch as much as possible but everything in one spot would be a big time saver!

Haven't done it and definitely wouldn't try in a Nordhavn 43 or 41. Nordhavn even hugged the coast when delivering their 120 and were glad they did so.

Haven't done it and definitely wouldn't try in a Nordhavn 43 or 41. Nordhavn even hugged the coast when delivering their 120 and were glad they did so.

Really? Why do you say that? Is it the eastbound part you don't like the sound of or ocean crossing in them in general? Interested to hear all opinions. Thanks

Really? Why do you say that? Is it the eastbound part you don't like the sound of or ocean crossing in them in general? Interested to hear all opinions. Thanks

It's the distance and possible conditions. There are Nordhavns capable of ocean crossings but the 41 and 43 are limited in that respect. I've known people to cross the Pacific in 150-200' yachts but they don't attempt it all in one run as they couldn't based on fuel and they either do it around the outside, the rim, or they island hop. I'd suggest you read the story of the delivery of the Nordhavn 120 and see their route and the conditions they faced taking the safe route.

On a theoretical basis, I've been thinking of a similar route: San Fran > Hilo, Hawaii > Kiribati, then explore S. Pacific islands to westward & turn around, track same route west to east on a Diesel Duck steel-hulled 382, sail-rigged. I understand a good route from Hawaii to San Fran. proceeds north, then eastward, then south, to use good winds. I say this in case my 382's single engine quits. I believe Krogen 42s have done this, as well. Fuel capacity is key.

I’m kind of wondering why someone with little boating experience would be considering such a trip?

When I was active in the running community, it reminds me of folks that don’t run, never have run a race, yet decide what they want to do is train for and race a Marathon. What if you don’t like it?

I’m kind of wondering why someone with little boating experience would be considering such a trip? When I was active in the running community, it reminds me of folks that don’t run, never have run a race, yet decide what they want to do is train for and race a Marathon. What if you don’t like it?
You're not answering the OP's question. :rolleyes:

... or they island hop. I'd suggest you read the story of the delivery of the Nordhavn 120 and see their route and the conditions they faced taking the safe route.

Thanks. I would island hop as you suggest. Similar to the legs in blue in the image. Possibly change up to via Hawai'i.

I’m kind of wondering why someone with little boating experience would be considering such a trip?

When I was active in the running community, it reminds me of folks that don’t run, never have run a race, yet decide what they want to do is train for and race a Marathon. What if you don’t like it?

I guess it's a bit like when I learned to fly helicopters, I wanted to know what could be done, what I could do in them and their potential. I've been on small boats and love it and I've done hundreds of ship landings offshore and loved that too! What can I say, I like the environment :)

I guess it's a bit like when I learned to fly helicopters, I wanted to know what could be done, what I could do in them and their potential. I've been on small boats and love it and I've done hundreds of ship landings offshore and loved that too! What can I say, I like the environment :)

Well, I can certainly understand that.

If you are interested in ocean crossings, have you considered a cruising sailboat? It seems that most transoceanic crossings are done with sailboats.

Well, I can certainly understand that.

If you are interested in ocean crossings, have you considered a cruising sailboat? It seems that most transoceanic crossings are done with sailboats.

Hi Dave

Yes, originally I had thought of and looked into Catamarans but I'm drawn more towards power boats for my needs.

Thanks

On a theoretical basis, I've been thinking of a similar route: San Fran > Hilo, Hawaii > Kiribati, then explore S. Pacific islands to westward & turn around, track same route west to east on a Diesel Duck steel-hulled 382, sail-rigged. I understand a good route from Hawaii to San Fran. proceeds north, then eastward, then south, to use good winds. I say this in case my 382's single engine quits. I believe Krogen 42s have done this, as well. Fuel capacity is key.

Thanks. I don't think range is the issue from what I can tell, albeit assisted by bladder tanks. I guess there must be some cruising to Hawaii that need to get back. One person posted that "once you get to Hawaii you're home free". Would be nice to hear from those that have done it.

Do some research on the Nordhavn site and look at the owners stories, I look at one a few years ago of a couple that headed to the West coast of S. America, then to The Galapagos, to Tahiti, up to Hawaii then North over the High to Alaska. If I recall they did it on a N57 ( one of the best in IMHO ). Also there is info out there of a Seattle boat that did the north side of the equator all the way across the pac. to Japan, I think it was a Northern Marine 60.
its doable but its out on the edge.. and that's coming from someone that HAS crossed the pacific in a 35' boat!
HOLLYWOOD

Keep in mind that there are very few power boats that have 3000 nm range and you can't add unlimited bladders.

Now, even in the right boat, the operators become a serious limiting factor.

Do some research on the Nordhavn site and look at the owners stories, I look at one a few years ago of a couple that headed to the West coast of S. America, then to The Galapagos, to Tahiti, up to Hawaii then North over the High to Alaska. If I recall they did it on a N57 ( one of the best in IMHO ). Also there is info out there of a Seattle boat that did the north side of the equator all the way across the pac. to Japan, I think it was a Northern Marine 60.
its doable but its out on the edge.. and that's coming from someone that HAS crossed the pacific in a 35' boat!
HOLLYWOOD

Thanks. These guys circumnavigated in a Nordhavn 43, with their first leg being San Diego to the Marquesas Islands.

Do you consider "on the edge" to be the longer leg or just cruising in that direction in general?

Thanks. These guys circumnavigated in a Nordhavn 43, with their first leg being San Diego to the Marquesas Islands.

Do you consider "on the edge" to be the longer leg or just cruising in that direction in general?

I thought when I wrote that I may be heading into rough water...

As a former bluewater sailor I still feel that big passages are a bit more risky on sub 60' power vessels. There could be a argument that if one looses the rig on a sailboat it is on par with loosing the main engine on a trawler.. but when you look at all the parts needed to keep a engine running for a 10000 mile crossing vs the rig up on a sailboat I feel that success is more likely under sail.. I feel the same way on rotor vs fixed wing.
Will/would it keep me from crossing the pacific under power ... nope .
I would do it on the right boat with the right prep without blinking.
HOLLYWOOD

As a former bluewater sailor I still feel that big passages are a bit more risky on sub 60' power vessels. There could be a argument that if one looses the rig on a sailboat it is on par with loosing the main engine on a trawler.. but when you look at all the parts needed to keep a engine running for a 10000 mile crossing vs the rig up on a sailboat I feel that success is more likely under sail.. I feel the same way on rotor vs fixed wing.
Will/would it keep me from crossing the pacific under power ... nope .
I would do it on the right boat with the right prep without blinking.
HOLLYWOOD

Thanks for the clarification HOLLYWOOD. (I won't ask you where you fall on the rotor vs fixed wing issue - I fear there would be major thread creep! :thumb:)

Thanks for the clarification HOLLYWOOD. (I won't ask you where you fall on the rotor vs fixed wing issue - I fear there would be major thread creep! :thumb:)

Hollywood said "on the edge" and I say the same. The most skilled operators there are in a 43 can do it. I wouldn't and I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone with less experience doing so.

Hollywood said "on the edge" and I say the same. The most skilled operators there are in a 43 can do it. I wouldn't and I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone with less experience doing so.

Thanks for your input and caution.

Hi,
I read part 1 and part 2 of Christie’s book. The story and the adventures of Kosmos is truly inspiring. Not the “regular” experience. They came across lots of naysayers, people telling them it was a crazy idea, people even stoped talking to them as a result. She tells that story in the book.

But hey, they did it (I wouldn’t do it myself though), but these folks did it and no one can take that as an insult. Some people are more adventurous, others very cautious. To each their own.

If you are planning this, more power to you!

Hi,
I read part 1 and part 2 of Christie’s book. The story and the adventures of Kosmos is truly inspiring. Not the “regular” experience. They came across lots of naysayers, people telling them it was a crazy idea, people even stoped talking to them as a result. She tells that story in the book.

But hey, they did it (I wouldn’t do it myself though), but these folks did it and no one can take that as an insult. Some people are more adventurous, others very cautious. To each their own.

If you are planning this, more power to you!

Thanks Dan_can

I'm a ways off doing this and appreciate that some people have different appetites for different things. By asking these types of questions it helps me get a picture of what's possible and what it would take. Not just acquiring new skills and knowing the costs involved but also my own physical limitations etc etc.

They came across lots of naysayers, people telling them it was a crazy idea, people even stoped talking to them as a result!

I had that when I decided to learn to fly helicopters. I took all views onboard and it made me research harder and find the solution to suit me. Ultimately, it was my responsibility and it all worked out in the end :thumb:

Thanks Dan_can

I'm a ways off doing this and appreciate that some people have different appetites for different things. By asking these types of questions it helps me get a picture of what's possible and what it would take. Not just acquiring new skills and knowing the costs involved but also my own physical limitations etc etc.

I had that when I decided to learn to fly helicopters. I took all views onboard and it made me research harder and find the solution to suit me. Ultimately, it was my responsibility and it all worked out in the end :thumb:

That’s awesome!

When I read her books I was stunned. She was very candidly telling all the struggles they encountered and seemed very honest. I exchanged few emails with her after reading the books.

She shares how she got depressed after so many days navigating the ocean and due to the roll and pitch movement she even stopped eating and pretty much doing anything.

She tells that at some point along the way they argue with the idea of selling Kosmos and quitting the circumnavigation.

But despite all the struggles, they pressed on.

The books are not really technical, it is more her telling the story of things they encountered and the many adventures with the Nordhavn.
At some point I though, geez, why they put themselves into such predicament? But they had great resilience and commitment to keep traveling. I admire people like them ad I admire you for your dreams. Keep them up!

Book: The Unexpected Circumnavigation. Unusual boat, unusual peo0le. By Christi Grab

These folks are out doing ocean passages in a Pacific Seacraft 31.

https://youtu.be/C-aXQgwfDl0

This man did the east to west route with a Diesel Duck. I have provided a link to approximately the beginning blog of the trip.

Home-Goodbye Philippines, Hello Palau

Some may not care to do it, and some may not recommend it, but many are out doing it safely in a variety of off-the-shelf boats.

Best Wishes

Back
Top Bottom