Sideshift stern thruster on my Krogen Manatee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cantsitstill

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Miss Tee
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen Manatee
I know Healhustler wanted to see pics of any projects I am doing. I am not a great picture taker but here is one of my newly installed Sideshift stern thruster.

I haven't hooked it up to power yet but I notice no issues with it creating drag when underway. I called Sideshift and spoke with their tech guys before mounting it. They didn't think it would be an issue and I would say that seems to be correct.

I am replacing all the copper fresh water plumbing with PEX this weekend. I found 5 leaks so far and by my count that is more than enough to warrant a repipe. I can't promise I will take pics but if there is interest I will.

Attachments

• Sternthruster pic.jpg
    Sternthruster pic.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 203
Hi Cantsitstill
I am a fellow Manatee owner wondering how you like the Sideshift thruster?
We are close to pulling the trigger on purchasing one, but having some reservations about the depth of the thruster and proximity to the propeller.
I doubt it causes any noticeable drag, but what about any concerns on the attachment or stress to the stern?
Hey, not looking for any guarantees from anyone, just wondering what your or anyone's thoughts might be.
Thanks
Wils

So, I installed these back 2 years ago on our Tollycraft 53. Its 75000 lbs, 62 LOA. While i like them, I wish they were a little stronger. Our Bow thruster is easily twice as powerful.

I installed these myself while in the water about 18 mo ago. Hauled recently for a bottom paint and got some good pics.

These were the largest setup SS offered. Wish i could just change out the "props". I have two large 24v banks powering them. Our moorage requires backing down about 150’ narrow channel with tight clearances on both sides.(1-3’ maybe on each side ) They come in handy on windy days, but on those real windy days they are overtaken. Overall though, It was a good add for some other regular side docking

x9u26X4.jpg

MPlmvJf.jpg

SyN4kIb.jpg

Last edited:
Are those hydraulic or electric?

For the price of 2 of them and 2 battery banks, I would have gone with a big tunnel thruster. Without the tunnel a good part of the thrust will be lost out the sides and top and bottom. Our tunnel stern thruster will drive our boat upwind in 25 knots of wind. Our boat isn’t as big as your Tolly but with a proportionally larger thruster I think you would not have trouble in the wind.

The quotes I got for tunnel and the larger thruster was 2x the cost of this. We have been pretty happy with this setup overall.

Hi Cantsitstill
I am a fellow Manatee owner wondering how you like the Sideshift thruster?
We are close to pulling the trigger on purchasing one, but having some reservations about the depth of the thruster and proximity to the propeller.
I doubt it causes any noticeable drag, but what about any concerns on the attachment or stress to the stern?
Hey, not looking for any guarantees from anyone, just wondering what your or anyone's thoughts might be.
Thanks
Wils

It certainly isn’t as powerful as the bow thruster. If i had to guess i would say about 50% of the bow thruster power. That being said though it has stopped arguments between me and my wife when docking.

Our slip is very tight quarters. We only have about 2 feet of clearance. I would not want to try it without the stern thruster.

Drag has been a non-issue. Haven’t noticed any difference in handling at all. So far we have only traveled for approximately 12 hours. Haven’t noticed any issues with stress to the transom.

It does require some major CCA. We have 3200 CCA on our starting bank which powers our main, bow thruster, windlass, and stern thruster. The Side Shift calls for 1,700 CCA and a 500 amp fuse.

Thanks for the info Cantsitstill

Your install looks clean, I especially like the cable penetrations.
Is the thruster you installed a ST340 12 volt or ST350 24 volt, and did you do the install yourself or contract it out?

12 hours doesn't sound like enough motoring time......but I get it...we have had our 86 Manatee for about 1 1/2 years and I don't think we have motored much more than that, but hoping for more this season.

Good thing she is a great boat and we take pleasure in the work because there has been more projects and work than boating so far!

Thanks for the info Cantsitstill

Your install looks clean, I especially like the cable penetrations.
Is the thruster you installed a ST340 12 volt or ST350 24 volt, and did you do the install yourself or contract it out?

12 hours doesn't sound like enough motoring time......but I get it...we have had our 86 Manatee for about 1 1/2 years and I don't think we have motored much more than that, but hoping for more this season.

Good thing she is a great boat and we take pleasure in the work because there has been more projects and work than boating so far!

We have the st340 12volt. I did it myself with a buddy. The install part was easy. It took less than a day for the complete install with a helper. The time consuming/confusing part was adding an additional battery bank. That was a bit of a chore and nerve racking at times.

Total time was 10 hours the first day (2 guys), 3 hours the 2nd day (2 guys), 2 hours by myself tying up wires, cleanup, etc. More than 1/2 of that time was adding the battery bank/cables. The actual install time for the Side Shift was probably less than 5 hours for the 2 of us.

The factory provides great support. I called them multiple times to make sure I had the correct batteries, relays, cables, fuses, etc. They were always helpful and never seemed annoyed.

I had an existing bow thruster with different signal wire setup. The factory sent me a wiring diagram so I could add a couple relays and use 1 double joystick controller for bow and stern thrusters.

I have only owned the boat and had it in the water since Oct. 1, 2019. We have done a ton of stuff (ourselves with buddies to help occasionally):

New pex plumbing

11 new batteries including additional cables

Stern thruster

New Vitrifrigo fridge

2 coats Bottom paint

Ordered new cockpit canvas/Stratglass

Etc, etc., etc

Honestly I like working on boats almost more than I do using them. Not everyone is a OCD about fixing/upgrading as I am. If you are moderately mechanically inclined the Side Shift install is no big deal.

I couldn’t imagine those little props moving a 60’ boat around.
Add 1,2 or three more for better thrust.

We have the st340 12volt. I did it myself with a buddy. The install part was easy. It took less than a day for the complete install with a helper...........

Thanks again for all the info, I am definitely in the OCD camp:thumb:.....I haven't committed yet but if I do I will take on the install on myself as well. Curious what you found the transom thickness to be. I have some old drawings that seem to show 5/8" foam glassed over in to about 1+ inch?

Thanks again for all the info, I am definitely in the OCD camp:thumb:.....I haven't committed yet but if I do I will take on the install on myself as well. Curious what you found the transom thickness to be. I have some old drawings that seem to show 5/8" foam glassed over in to about 1+ inch?

Yeah you are on the right track for the transom thickness. I believe I bolted to the transom with 1 1/2" bolts. Healhustler sent me some pics of work he did to his transom (added a swimstep). If you private message me I will email them to you.

Stern Thruster Update

Cantsitstill.....Thank you for all the info. We did end up installing the ST340 12volt off the stern.

The Sideshift guys in Toronto were easy to get a hold of and eager to help. The only hiccups experienced were related to wiring in the existing bow thruster and initially blowing the 400 amp fuse.

The blown fuse problem was traced to a poor cable connection at the fuse - I have to admit I did the electrical installation so sometimes DIY guys get what they pay for:blush:).

Sideshift's fiberglass thru hull install guidance seemed a little thin. Even with penetrations above the waterline, when penetrating a fiberglass/core hull it just seems right to drill/over drill, clean, fill with thickened epoxy....then re drill and thru bolt with sealant or butyl as a exterior seal.....with the core fully protect by epoxy.

We also added a stainless steel exterior rail, just because. Shout out to our local boat yard - Vector - in Sidney BC, who worked along side me on this project during a haul out for a new shaft and etc....

We are very happy with the thruster's performance and the piece of mind we now enjoy when maneuvering the Manatee in tight quarters, as I find even with the helm hard over the best I can manage in reverse is a straight line, or with the helm over in the other direction she does go to starboard - but never to port without a nudge!

Attachments

• 20200220_170359.jpg
    20200220_170359.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200220_170256.jpg
    20200220_170256.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 604016096.jpg
    604016096.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20200229_112538.jpg
    20200229_112538.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 55
It looks as though you'll be able to generate some 12V power with it while underway.

The few similar installations I've seen had mounted the thruster closer to the waterline.

Hi KnotYet, Actually it is pretty much as shallow as I could install it and keep it in spec. Sideshift specifies the installation to provide 5 inches of water above the thruster prop. Blades are 8 inches so it does looks low.

Cantsitstill.....Thank you for all the info. We did end up installing the ST340 12volt off the stern.

The Sideshift guys in Toronto were easy to get a hold of and eager to help. The only hiccups experienced were related to wiring in the existing bow thruster and initially blowing the 400 amp fuse.

The blown fuse problem was traced to a poor cable connection at the fuse - I have to admit I did the electrical installation so sometimes DIY guys get what they pay for:blush:).

Sideshift's fiberglass thru hull install guidance seemed a little thin. Even with penetrations above the waterline, when penetrating a fiberglass/core hull it just seems right to drill/over drill, clean, fill with thickened epoxy....then re drill and thru bolt with sealant or butyl as a exterior seal.....with the core fully protect by epoxy.

We also added a stainless steel exterior rail, just because. Shout out to our local boat yard - Vector - in Sidney BC, who worked along side me on this project during a haul out for a new shaft and etc....

We are very happy with the thruster's performance and the piece of mind we now enjoy when maneuvering the Manatee in tight quarters, as I find even with the helm hard over the best I can manage in reverse is a straight line, or with the helm over in the other direction she does go to starboard - but never to port without a nudge!

Looks good! Glad you are happy with it. I do wish it was more powerful but it is certainly better than nothing. With our hull design I don't really see a good way to put a larger thruster with a tunnel. I am happy with ours as it cuts the post docking fights with my wife down by about 50%.

Hi KnotYet, Actually it is pretty much as shallow as I could install it and keep it in spec. Sideshift specifies the installation to provide 5 inches of water above the thruster prop. Blades are 8 inches so it does looks low.

My thought was that it would be good to keep the thruster
behind the transom and out of the slipstream.
Probably easier said than done, though.

My thought was that it would be good to keep the thruster
behind the transom and out of the slipstream.
Probably easier said than done, though.

At rest, the OP's transom is mostly out of the water. Almost any location that has the tips of the props 5" below the WL will put the props down into the slipstream on that hull, so his further depth really doesn't make it any worse.

Wils: Your boat is unique in these waters. Saw you in Montague a couple of weeks ago. Looking good.

Hello All, I did a write up on my purchase years ago. SideShift Stern Thruster......

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6488

After almost 10 years, the Sideshift has never let me down. I do keep my water tanks full as mine isn’t quite the 5” below the water line. What the thruster gives me is the finite movement in tight marinas. My rudder is fairly small and gives no steering when in neutral. The thruster gives me that control. Anyone considering it, I’d highly recommend.

Adjustments.JPG

Back
Top Bottom