Marine Trader Hollow Stringers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shafer22

My recently purchased 1977 40' marine trader seems to have hollow stringers? Does this sound correct? No matter where I tap front back or in middle it seems to be hollow sounding. No sign of cracks or hull to stringer movement. ???

RE: Marine trader hollow stringers

Michael, You might drill a test hole somewhere. My 34DC does not have hollow stringers. It may sound hollow because the fiberglass has separated from the wood. Chuck

Marine trader hollow stringers

Is this the same boat that has a hollow keel?**Maybe the*previous owner was trying to go ultra-light.*

If your longitudinal stringers*are hollow, the boat could do a lot flexing in a sea.** As already mentioned, if*there is/was moisture penetration (like around the engine mounts), the stringers may have delaminated from the fg.* *** KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Saturday 26th of November 2011 05:39:05 PM

RE: Marine trader hollow stringers

** Yep, they are as hollow as the keel, About 3 inches of mahogany, on top 2 inches on the bottom, plywood on the side and filled with solid air in the middle. Not to worry the*strength is in the glass. At least that is what I found on my 1977, 40 foot*sedan M/T.* You will most likely find two heavey red & black wires going thru the engine room forward bulkhead just inside the right inner stringer. They go forward to the anchor locked, for a winch I presume. There are also extra unused wires in the harness up to the flybridge so you won't have to run any for extra electronics.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom