September 11th - Boatlift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
I hadn't seen this before. Sports stars aren't heroes - these people are.

In all my rescue missions, I was privileged to meet more than my share of good Samaritans.

The two I will never forget.... the first was a Bell Telehone guy who walked into the fire of a plane crash...in chinos, a polo shirt, topsiders and Ray Bans. He looked up at me and shrugged "what can I do?"...I pointed for him to help our crewman pull a survivor from the wreckage Without hesitation he jumped alongside our crewman covered in flame retardant gear and dragged her out of an intense fire to safety while our helo backed out of the fire. He then disappeared into the crowd, never to be heard from again despite all the hoopla over the rescue. guess he thought his Ray Ban sunglasses made him superman. That guys has my eternal respect.

The second was a Delaware pilot boat skipper who was standing by a sailboat caught in the surf of Tropical Storm Josephine. We arrived on scene and were talking with him. A series of large waves came and one went completely over the pilot boat so much that I thought it had sunk. He then said to me in the calmest SAR voice I think I ever heard..." Uh.... Coast Guard, now that you are here, I think I am going to stand a bit ore offshore if that's OK with you". That guy deserves all the beer I can feed him in one night. He was standing by in 25" breaking waves on Hens and Chickens shoals off Cape Henelopen, De.

So yes...hats off to the boatlift guys, to all good Samaritans and especially to those who braved some real shi* I witnessed and will never forget.

Sports stars aren't heroes

While I would contend that there ARE athletes who are heroes, that rarely, if ever, has to do with their athletic achievements.

Joe Louis
Joe Dimaggio
Ted Williams

A few examples of professional athletes choosing to leave their sport to fight for their nation.

While I would contend that there ARE athletes who are heroes, that rarely, if ever, has to do with their athletic achievements.

Joe Louis
Joe Dimaggio
Ted Williams

A few examples of professional athletes choosing to leave their sport to fight for their nation.

Thread creep but, then they are military heroes not sports heroes. :)

Thread creep but, then they are military heroes not sports heroes. :)

It's not thread creep when you include sports into the scope of the initial discussion.

;)

Heroism is by action or sometimes word...not by profession, uniform, title, etc...etc....

Not sure I could classify anyone as a sports hero. They are doing a paid job....maybe use the word champion (which by itself is a great title)

What they do outside of the of sports is another story no matter what it is.

Last edited:
I would imagine that most of us on TF were alive and each has his own memories of that day. Many heroes were created that day. Many who did their own part to make the day better for someone else, often without thinking of their own safety.

This is a day that should never be forgotten.

Thanks Menzie for this post .

500,000 people in 9 hours! Wow.

As far as Heros go? To me a Hero is someone that acts when others are in need.

It is not about the fame. Is is all about doing what is right and what is needed to be done at that time.

God Bless all of those who did what was need to be done to help, on that sad day of 9-11-2001!

Cheers.

H

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom