The Adventures of Sylphide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And when you go through Rochester, don't forget to wave!

We did the Welland as well. Long day, but tolerable. They have now set recreational up for certain days only and you better be there when they open for the day. You're right versus the Erie. On the Erie you have some serious flights of canals but you can do a few and then just say "That's enough locks for the day." No saying that on the Welland.

We have an acquaintance who pilots there. All the St. Lawrence is a challenge with US and Canada involved and the heavy commercial traffic and their priority.

About 300' lift or drop between the lakes. 1 lock drops/rise about 80 ' if I remember correctly. I have only been through there with tugs and barges.

Looks even better in the pics taken by its new owner. As it should. What a great boat!

Congrats on making it through and getting the new floatie.

Congrats sir! How cool for you to be able to enjoy with your parents, after they introduced you to the boating life that not only became your recreation but your profession! :thumb:

You've acquired a fine vessel and we both know you will have many fine adventures. Your only task is to take many many pictures, and share them all with us here so we can enjoy your travels too! :popcorn:

David

Dave, Congratulations on the boat!

Did the full length of the Erie Canal in 2017. Probably more fun going down hill through all the locks. IMO, the better part of the Erie canal for sightseeing and town stops is West of Oneida Lake. You will travel through farm lands where the canal is elevated slightly above the fields, absolutely beautiful scenery.

Winter Harbor marina in Brewerton (1.5 miles before Oneida Lake on the north side of the waterway), is where you want to buy all the fuel you can hold. Generally the best price in NY state.

East of Oneida Lake, stops get a little more challenging as far as reprovisioning. Plan ahead. If you have any questions about stops on the canal, I probably won't know the answer, but that won't keep me from responding. :rolleyes:

Ted

I'm always happy to hear from you Mr. Ted, especially since I'll be doing largely the same kind of thing you are, with a boat that has very similar capabilities and hindrances.

The locks are definitely more pleasant going downhill, and fast too. I don't think I've been in a lock longer than 10 minutes since the Black Rock.

I took a splash of fuel at Wardell's in Tonawanda, but I think I will be topping off at Winter Harbor. That is if I can work out why my tanks overflowed during the last fill up. According to my tank tender, I should have had loads of room, but evidently not. I may have a blocked vent or something.

Being on a boat that's moving through the water, it's so clear. Everything falls into place in terms of what's important and what's not. -James Taylor

We are soooo happy for you, Dave! :dance:

Your delight is contagious!

Cheers,

Pea & Dan Trombley

Mr. Taylor has a very good point there. Thank you Trombleys!

Where did the boat name come from? What does it mean, if this has been asked before I didn’t see the answer.

Just a guess from me,

La Sylphide is a romantic ballet in two acts. There were two versions of the ballet; the original choreographed by Filippo Taglioni in 1832, and a second version choreographed by August Bournonville in 1836. Bournonville's is the only version known to have survived and is one of the world's oldest surviving ballets.
Nice name for a boat

That's it, you got it. Also, a Sylph is a mythical spirit of the air, and a Sylphide is a young one. I was planning to change the name, but I think I may end up keeping it. It's pretty unique, which wins a lot of points in my book. I also like the fact that she's had the same name since she was built. She's had the name almost as long as I've had mine.

Who am I to change it?

And....I learnt somthin' new today!

One of the many services we offer!

We did the Welland as well. Long day, but tolerable. They have now set recreational up for certain days only and you better be there when they open for the day. You're right versus the Erie. On the Erie you have some serious flights of canals but you can do a few and then just say "That's enough locks for the day." No saying that on the Welland.

We have an acquaintance who pilots there. All the St. Lawrence is a challenge with US and Canada involved and the heavy commercial traffic and their priority.

I got really lucky with my transit. In all the research I did, I missed the fact that they alternate upbound and downbound days for pleasure craft. It was just dumb luck that I got there on the right day. Could have been a 24 hour delay right off the bat. I also got lucky with the rhythm of commercial traffic. There was very little in the morning, but by the time we got to the last lock, there was a real log jam up down in the lower end.

Dave
If you stop in Spencerport dont miss the Texas BBQ joint... it is worth a stop if you like BBQ.
Newark is another great stop. Fairport nice but Newark is quieter, great facilities and all free... power, showers, laundry, and some decent restaurants in town.
From there a long day to Baldwinsville doable and another good stop but sure you have been there.

Spencerport is a good stop with nice facilities at the free dock.

If you like Texas Barbecue, don't stop. You won't leave. The Brisket is to die for! Only mistake I made was not buying some to take with me.

Ted

I'm already looking forward to the next trip through these parts. There are a ton of places I'd like to go back to and spend some time. This trip has been more of a delivery trip really, and we've been trying to make miles. I sure hope they save me some BBQ for next time.

Dave, that is one sweet water ride. Good luck with her.

Thanks Cap!

And when you go through Rochester, don't forget to wave!

I hope a wave from Clyde is okay. Can you see me? :hello:

Congrats on your new ride!

Thanks! I was saving up for a nice Monk 36, but this one just fell into my lap.

About 300' lift or drop between the lakes. 1 lock drops/rise about 80 ' if I remember correctly. I have only been through there with tugs and barges.

In the Welland they're all about 40' there's a flight of three staircase locks that'll get you up about 120'

Looks even better in the pics taken by its new owner. As it should. What a great boat!

Thanks Bruce! I hope your search is going well :flowers:

Congrats on making it through and getting the new floatie.

Thank you! :smitten:

Congrats sir! How cool for you to be able to enjoy with your parents, after they introduced you to the boating life that not only became your recreation but your profession! :thumb:

You've acquired a fine vessel and we both know you will have many fine adventures. Your only task is to take many many pictures, and share them all with us here so we can enjoy your travels too! :popcorn:

David

Thanks :D It's been really great having my folks aboard. They've been loving it as much as I have. Maybe more. I'm so glad I can give them back some of what they gave me. I'm one lucky SOB.

Craptain's log, stardate 9/12/19

Good morning from clammy Clyde, NY. It's a cool, gray, overcast morning, with at least 200% humidity.

You join me in the living room, where I'm enjoying a rapidly cooling cup of french press. Mom has found an outlet on the dock to use her hair dryer, and I've just completed my engine room checks. Aside from a touch more water in the bilge than we had two days ago, all looks well. I'll have to do a check when we're underway to see where that's coming from.

We made tracks yesterday. 64 miles, seven locks, and two failed pumpout attempts. I can now chime in on the thread about not being able to find one that works, so that's fun!

We were planning on stopping at Lyons last night, but after getting tied up and discovering that the pumpout machine doesn't even start up, we encountered a spot of bother. The problem was a man. A small, stupidly drunk man with a purple face and a dirty shirt. He kept hanging around begging for money. He was aggressive about it and we just couldn't get him to go away. I decided that I didn't feel great about Lyons, and at 6 PM with fading light, we threw off the lines and continued east. I called the cops on the way out and let them know. They knew exactly which purple faced shambling zombie corpse I was talking about.

It was our first night time transit, and it went well enough. We had meatloaf for dinner underway, and found a cozy spot on a small free wall at Clyde. Aside from some noise from the trains that run about 100 yards away, it was a quiet and comfortable stop.

Since we made such big mileage yesterday, today will be a walk in the park, and we can let our hair down a bit. Well they can, I don't have any hair.

What a beautiful morning! I think I’ll take my coffee out to the aft deck and enjoy my new chairs in the peaceful serenity of nature!

https://youtu.be/Gvg5DvyvUsM

What a beautiful morning! I think I’ll take my coffee out to the aft deck and enjoy my new chairs in the peaceful serenity of nature!

https://youtu.be/Gvg5DvyvUsM

I'm glad to see they're dredging that! When I was there at the beginning of August, I was showing 4.8 ft against the wall in what appears to be the same spot you're in. Depth steadily dropped on the approach and I definitely stirred up some mud with my prop wash.

Tell your mom she's hot and your father that he's a lucky handsome man and that you love 'em. What a great time together. Wish my parents were still around to enjoy boating some more with me.

Tell your mom she's hot and your father that he's a lucky handsome man and that you love 'em. What a great time together. Wish my parents were still around to enjoy boating some more with me.

Same! So lucky to be together, especially on her maiden voyage!

Well ladies and germs, it's officially official. I'm the proud new owner of Sylphide. The sale process was a long drawn out emotional roller coaster. At a couple of points I was pretty overwhelmed, and starting to second guess myself. Now that the dust has settled, though, I'm sooooo glad I went to the trouble.

It's only been a few days aboard now, so I'm still in the honeymoon phase I'm sure. So far though, I'm really loving living aboard this boat. It's tiny compared to my house, but there has been more than enough room for my folks and I to live aboard quite comfortably for the last six days. Nobody's stepping on anyone's toes, and the only thing that I haven't been able to find a good place for so far is the swiffer.

So far the only thing I can find that doesn't work is the hot water in the shower. There's hot water everywhere else, but not there. I know it's plumbed for it, so I'm thinking there's an issue with the tap or mixing valve. No worries, so far It's been easy to find a good clean shower, so I don't stink yet.

So far this trip, we've made it across Lake Ontario from Toronto, transited the Welland Canal, and are now in Tonawanda, getting ready to transit the Erie Canal. I'm really excited for this part of the trip. I've never seen this part of the canal before. I wish I had more time to shilly shally, but the goal is to get to Coeymans Landing in the next ten or so days. Should be plenty of time, but I want to stay a little ahead of 'schedule.' I'm happy to leave myself some undiscovered country for the next trip anyway.

One thing I've noticed about living on this boat, is that it attracts a lot of attention. I've had no shortage of people coming up to talk to me, which for the most part has been very pleasant. This must be what it's like to own a Lamborghini.

We'll be getting off to a bit of a late start this morning, which has been nice after all the hustle and bustle. I'll be throwing some fuel into the belly of the beast this morning, and it's eastward we go.

Pics, cuz it's totally happening:

Looks like a sweet ride. Congrats!

Oh, and be sure to get rid of that awful anchor, whatever it is and change whatever I suggest. Dink too, and the motor it rode in on.:hide:

Dave, when you get a chance, can you link to the ad that describes Sylphide? She looks similar in some ways to Seabiscuit. Enjoy (and I commented on that YT clip you posted, too).

Best wishes (from the public dock today).

Last edited:
Dave, when you get a chance, can you link to the ad that describes Sylphide? She looks similar in some ways to Seabiscuit. Enjoy (and I commented on that YT clip you posted, too).

Best wishes (from the public dock today).

The ad has been taken down. I saved a copy of it but AT&T decided I’ve had enough internet for the month, so my laptop is just a big screen calculator at the moment. Once AT&T mines some more precious internet from the mines of Moria, I’ll post the ad :D

I'm glad to see they're dredging that! When I was there at the beginning of August, I was showing 4.8 ft against the wall in what appears to be the same spot you're in. Depth steadily dropped on the approach and I definitely stirred up some mud with my prop wash.

Yeah, that’s what I heard. Well the parts they’ve done are back up to 10 feet or so alongside. They’re on schedule to be done with the rest of it in about three weeks ago.

Same! So lucky to be together, especially on her maiden voyage!

Very lucky!

WOW!!! What a beaut!

Couldn't be happier for you!

Thanks Al! I’m pretty tickled with her :D

There was plenty of love shared, I promise. I may have skipped the part about telling my parents how sexy they are though.

Code:

Your narration on that cracked me up!

:lol:

:D

Looks like a sweet ride. Congrats!

Thank you!

Oh, and be sure to get rid of that awful anchor, whatever it is and change whatever I suggest. Dink too, and the motor it rode in on.:hide:

Those things are all on my replacement list actually. I do want to upgrade from the CQR for sure. I’d also like to get a RIB for a Dink. Not sure if the ol’ Johnson even runs actually. Haven’t had a chance to try it yet. It’s only a 3 horse anyway.

Thanks Dave; I look forward to that. Cheers!

Sylphide is proper. Well done young man.

Attachments

• Wayfarers ride.jpg
    Wayfarers ride.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 468
Dave, I know ribs are recommended everywhere but in my experience, they are not good to row. I like that option. I have a small tinny (a very old, leaky, Savage "Tern") that is much better to row than my Zodiac. When taking it with me behind Seabiscuit, I half-lift the marlin board, and pull the bow up onto it—that way it can't flip and it's completely stable. o difference in Sb's speed towing the dingy. I also have a 2.5hp Suzuki 4-stroke for when the wind is stronger than my rowing! It won't plane, but it's plenty fast enough for me.

Re. anchors: I have an oversized Super Sarca for Seabiscuit; far better holding than the CQR it came with.

There are non rigid inflatables,like mine, which do not row well, and rigid inflatables(ribs) which look like they would row better. But a good Aussie "tinny" leaky, beat up, or pristine, would row better than either.

BruceK: my experience completely, and I have a quite expensive Zodiac (with the insert floor, not the rigid bottom) to directly compare. I think being able to row a tender is essential, from a safety point of view.

Another vote for a tin boat. Went to the boatyard yesterday and among other things will be converting the cradle for the new dinghy.

20190910_111403.jpg

Ted

I'm confused. I see all this talk about rowing and I didn't read where he said anything about intending to row it.

Dave, I know ribs are recommended everywhere but in my experience, they are not good to row. I like that option. I have a small tinny (a very old, leaky, Savage "Tern") that is much better to row than my Zodiac. When taking it with me behind Seabiscuit, I half-lift the marlin board, and pull the bow up onto it—that way it can't flip and it's completely stable. o difference in Sb's speed towing the dingy. I also have a 2.5hp Suzuki 4-stroke for when the wind is stronger than my rowing! It won't plane, but it's plenty fast enough for me.

Re. anchors: I have an oversized Super Sarca for Seabiscuit; far better holding than the CQR it came with.

BruceK: my experience completely, and I have a quite expensive Zodiac (with the insert floor, not the rigid bottom) to directly compare. I think being able to row a tender is essential, from a safety point of view.

Another vote for a tin boat. Went to the boatyard yesterday and among other things will be converting the cradle for the new dinghy.

View attachment 94068

Ted

Ooooh that’s a nice boat. I love the color!

I'm confused. I see all this talk about rowing and I didn't read where he said anything about intending to row it.

Yeah, I’d ultimately like to get something that’ll plane with my big ass in it. So far, I’ve been getting so much more exercise than I was, and rowing just doesn’t sound like fun at the moment.

Sylphide is proper. Well done young man.

Thank you most kindly sir! :D:D

Yes, but at least you're on a BOAT!:D

YOURE DAMN RIGHT I AM! W00oT!

Well, after a marathon of ELEVEN locks today, Sylphide, Dad and I arrived in Waterford. That’s a record number of locks for me, and one I’m not keen to break any time soon. We’ve officially done the length of the Erie Canal.

For some reason the stove didn’t work today. At least not until we decided we’ll be going out to dinner, then it lit on the first try. Beats me! I fixed my wonky horn, which was nice, but have been plagued by a nuisance alarm on my dash volt meter. It keeps showing my engine battery dropping to 11.9-11.8 at random intervals, when I don’t believe it is. The other meters I have are showing well over 12. I think I’ve got a bad gauge or sender. More investigation required.

On a more pleasant note, I was greeted by a very friendly member of the TF community on arrival here. My first encounter with one of y’all in the wild. Alas, I’ve committed the cardinal sin of not having any beers aboard to share! We had a pleasant chat despite the lack of social lubricant.

Now time for some dinner that I don’t have to cook.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom