Removable Wallpaper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABfish

Vessel Name
Dirty Deeds
Vessel Make
Maritimo 48
Our boat has a lot of wood on the interior. Except for the headliner and kitchen counters, virtually every surface is wood or wood veneer.

I've been thinking about making a few areas less dark by adding some removable, self-stick wall paper. Has anyone tried this? Any suggestions or hints?

I've been thinking about making a few areas less dark by adding some removable, self-stick wall paper. Has anyone tried this? Any suggestions or hints?
We had the old wall paper removed and the installer ((a real pro) said that almost all wall paper today is vinyl and should be applied with the proper paste.:popcorn:

I applied wall paper to a previous boat and wound up removing it two years later and just painting.

In a previous boat the teak veneer was damaged. I sanded and filled the damages and then spray painted the entire salon. I used a forced air respirator and a lot of masking but it came out beautiful. I tried rolling and tipping but it didn’t look as good.

A heavy duty vinyl wall covering, it is what is used on walls in hospitals, if they have a wall covering.
cleanable and can get wet.

I looked at the patterns ABfish linked to and thought most would be horrible on a boat. I like wallpaper and enjoy putting it up, but let me suggest that you be VERY careful in selecting the pattern. You don't want your pattern to be loud and offensive if you apply it in a boat where you're working with small, confined spaces.

On my old boat, believe it or not, peg board was used through out - what were they thinking? While in refit I had the peg board taken out and new bulkheads add. The refit guy has used some kind of off white vinyl stuff that has worked out well and brightened up the area. He will add a few mahogany ribs which run up the bulkhead and across the deck head and back down to give it some depth and character. The white vinyl has a pattern, a subtle pattern, to give it some character.

The advantage of this option is that if you don't like it down the road, or it starts to look old and dated, you just put new stuff in.

IMG_0015.jpgi just put up some Japanese silk in my dinette. I’m going to put an off white wipeable vinyl grass cloth in my stateroom.

Back
Top Bottom