Pump Out Rant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
Wondering if it's just my bad luck or are others experiencing this as well, but I have run into more non-working pump out stations this year than ever! It's especially frustrating when you don't find out it's on the blink until you've docked and tied up, essentially wasting a good docking job on nothing!

Around here I have not found any not working. If I were in an area where it is an issue then I would call ahead and ask if the pumpout is working.

I don’t know where you are located but in LI Sound and RI there are Pumpout boats that come to the marinas and anchorages.
Sometimes they break but they get quickly repaired.

I see lots of defunct pump-out stations.

It goes like this: To have your area declared a NDZ, you have to prove there are enough pump-out stations in the area. All of a sudden, there's lots of money available to install them.

Once the NDZ is passed into law, there's no requirement that these remain operational. The money dries up, and nothing gets fixed when it breaks. The marinas and other facilities which accepted the free equipment find it's not economical to run, so they're not motivated to put it in a convenient location or maintain it.

That said, many of the same do-gooders who think boat holding tanks are a serious issue (but not municipal sewage treatment plant overflows and failures, and not agricultural run-off, and not other hazardous materials, dumped or spilled) have managed to secure grants to run pump-out boats and municipal pump-out stations, so there's usually an option, if not a convenient one.

Have not run into malfunctioning pump outs in our area. We have both roving pumpout boats that will come over if called and dockside stations. One of the dockside pumpouts went down a couple of weeks ago and it was fixed better than before within a few days.

Ken

Have not run into malfunctioning pump outs in our area. We have both roving pumpout boats that will come over if called and dockside stations. One of the dockside pumpouts went down a couple of weeks ago and it was fixed better than before within a few days.

Ken

I think it's different on a lake. Along the coast is where the NDZ declaration is important to some, but not welcome by others.

If those who imposed NDZ's in our open waters ..............ALL Massachusetts waters ......really wanted clean waters they need to do something with the hundred thousand + seals that chew up 10-15# of fish each day.

Here, sewage services are paid through property taxes. I would be more upset if service was unavailable after paying property taxes on both boat and berth.

I think it's different on a lake. Along the coast is where the NDZ declaration is important to some, but not welcome by others.

Who's on a lake?

Wondering if it's just my bad luck or are others experiencing this as well, but I have run into more non-working pump out stations this year than ever! It's especially frustrating when you don't find out it's on the blink until you've docked and tied up, essentially wasting a good docking job on nothing!

I feel your pain Max. However, over the past few years I have had much fewer problems with non-functioning pump-outs. I recall back in the bad old days when there were very few pump-outs and NONE of them ever worked.

If you run into a non-functioning pump-out it is a good idea to let whoever is responsible know. Most of the time there is a phone number posted at the pump-out. If that continues, maybe letting the WA State Parks Dept may be interested.

Another option, depending on where you keep your boat, is one of the free mobile pump-out services.

Last edited:
Porta-potti or cassette toilet solves the non working pump out problem.

When we walk along the beach ,many times it is covered with excrement from the various local wildlife. The state routinely moves the "no harvesting of shellfish" signs according to the bacterial count in the water frequented by these animals.
When we're out cruising and come upon a pod with dozens of porpoise feeding, I wonder every time how much poop these large mammals are dumping into the that area. Maybe they should be trained to hold it until they're 3 miles offshore.
I understand the necessity to contain sewage discharge in crowded harbors and such. In the headwaters of a creek or cove occupied by a marina or marinas, it can quite literally become a cesspool. I personally have had to be treated for the flesh-eating vibrio bacteria virus twice in the last 15 years and know of at least a half-dozen friends who've contracted the same thing...a warm-water disease that was unheard of around here when I was younger.
We've always had the wildlife in & on the water but the waterfront population explosion is a recent phenomenon that is most certainly more to blame regarding these water-born diseases than the minuscule environmental impact the position of my holding tank y-valve has.

Last edited:
Our marina now has a motorized pump-out cart (I call it R2-#2). It gets used to pump-out the boats and then discharged into the existing dock sewage system.

This to overcome the stupidity of the Annapolis harbormaster deciding it was no longer 'appropriate' for the county's pump-out boat to be used for scheduled appointments with dock staff (instead of random phone calls and boat owners).

Our marina now has a motorized pump-out cart (I call it R2-#2). It gets used to pump-out the boats and then discharged into the existing dock sewage system.

This to overcome the stupidity of the Annapolis harbormaster deciding it was no longer 'appropriate' for the county's pump-out boat to be used for scheduled appointments with dock staff (instead of random phone calls and boat owners).
And that's why I think most boaters comply most of the time.

From our observations, a decidedly PNW issue. Elsewhere we've very seldom run into a problem, but saw it regularly at smaller marinas in the PNW.

Is it tied to the low dockage rates in some way? I know those of you there don't think dockage rates are low, but compared to other boating areas they are. Is it not something boaters insist their marina provide?

And that's why I think most boaters comply most of the time.
Huh? I think I get what you're saying, that when services are offered it makes for much higher compliance rates. When not, illegal disposal seem 'easier'.

Huh? I think I get what you're saying, that when services are offered it makes for much higher compliance rates. When not, illegal disposal seem 'easier'.
Yes. Think about it. A boat has a nearly full tank and is making way to a port which supposedly has pump-out facilities. But it doesn't or it's on the fritz amd the next port is a long way off, too long. So, what is a boater to do. Is there any other choice but to pump overboard at least partially emptying the tank? What would anyone on this forum do if faced with this problem? I have not had to do that as we have a large tank.

Yes. Think about it. A boat has a nearly full tank and is making way to a port which supposedly has pump-out facilities. But it doesn't or it's on the fritz amd the next port is a long way off, too long. So, what is a boater to do. Is there any other choice but to pump overboard at least partially emptying the tank? What would anyone on this forum do if faced with this problem? I have not had to do that as we have a large tank.

When you have to go, you have to go. But try to avoid flushing in waters that have little water movement.

The RV folks have small carts that might accept the contents , to be dumped down a land toilet.

Only if the land toilet is connected to a plant , if the waste contains no-stink poisons , it can not go into a septic system.

Our RV has a macerator that pumps into a 1” hose and they say it will pump several hundred feet though I have only pumped about 75’. I guess that I could install one like it on my boat and pump the boat into the sewer clean out in the front of our house. But they only charge $15 for a pump out a 1/2 mile down the river.

5 years ago, in Ft. Lauderdale, there were free pumpout stations everywhere! They're all gone now except for 2 on the New River. They're free but you need to purchase an adapter to connect the pump to your boat. The two pumpout stations care at the busiest, most congested spots on the New River and you must give them an hour's notice!.

5 years ago, it was pull up to any pump you see and have at it! They were all free to use.

Today the last 2 are still free. If you have a sailboat, and only buy 10 gallons of fuel, the local marina charges $15 to pumpout. If you buy 500 gallons, pumpout is free.

Sounds like the local government isn't really interested in keeping our waters clean.

5 years ago, in Ft. Lauderdale, there were free pumpout stations everywhere! They're all gone now except for 2 on the New River. They're free but you need to purchase an adapter to connect the pump to your boat. The two pumpout stations care at the busiest, most congested spots on the New River and you must give them an hour's notice!.

5 years ago, it was pull up to any pump you see and have at it! They were all free to use.

Today the last 2 are still free. If you have a sailboat, and only buy 10 gallons of fuel, the local marina charges $15 to pumpout. If you buy 500 gallons, pumpout is free.

Sounds like the local government isn't really interested in keeping our waters clean.

You omitted Las Olas Marina in your rant. Fort Lauderdale owns three marinas and all three have free pump out.

Now, why should a commercial marina do it for free?

Almost all pumpouts in Puget Sound are free and generally I have not had issues with them not working. However, in BC, Canada waters I have only found one free pumpout (nanaimo) and all the others cost between $10 -$25 for a pumpout?! Holy crap, that's a lot for a pumpout. :eek: It is also super odd since almost all gulf islands and inside BC waters are considered NDZ but yet they charge a fortune for pumpouts. We just got back from 2 weeks in gulf and BC waters and had to do 4 pumpouts while there (5 women and me on the boat).

WOW...I'm really amazed at the number of boaters that expect free pump outs!?
If you really feel pump outs should be provided free why not buy some waterfront property install a pull-out and post a sign offering free pump-outs?

I am not admitting to any illegal activity on the interweb.

WOW...I'm really amazed at the number of boaters that expect free pump outs!?
If you really feel pump outs should be provided free why not buy some waterfront property install a pull-out and post a sign offering free pump-outs?

There are places that have imposed pump-out taxes in order to provide funds for the machinery. There you deserve free.

I guess I’m lucky boating in SoFla, if no pump out around I can run off shore and dump the holding tank. The keys have pump out boats that will come to your anchored boat and most marinas have pump out facilities. I don’t mind paying for the convenience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom