Americas Cup Preview in San Diego

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codger2

Guru
Vessel Name
Circuit Breaker
Vessel Make
2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
For you rag baggers out there that have converted to trawlers, here's a real treat for you. I've been watching the practice runs since last saturday but the real racing starts tomorrow. There are videos on line of previous races in Portugal, UK, etc. that will knock your socks off. In one race (I think it was in Portugal) every boat capsized at one time or another. The speeds that these winged cats achieve is amazing!

America's Cup | America's Cup Videos

I had the previlege of watching some early trials off San Diego in 1991. What an incredible sight to see - those things are fast! One lasting impression was the sound reverberating from those hollow aluminum hulls as they crashed through the waves.

It will be interesting to see how the boats handle the chop in SF Bay especially during an ebb current against the winds.* (A smaller, practice version of the boats tripped over itself earlier this year.)* Pictured here is a more benign day on the Bay.*

Looks like next year's cup race will be the most filmed to date.* Also, there are many viewing points to observe the race.

-- Edited by markpierce on Tuesday 15th of November 2011 08:17:33 PM

Attachments

• gg gate.jpg
    gg gate.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 53
  • img_1354.jpg
    img_1354.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 62
Yeah, fast boats. The 45's they are racing with now are test "horses".

The real screamers will hit the water when they do the "real" thing for the Louis Vuitton Cup, and then the AC itself, in 72 footers! KJ

download.spark

download.spark

Conrad wrote:
I had the previlege of watching some early trials off San Diego in 1991. What an incredible sight to see - those things are fast! One lasting impression was the sound reverberating from those hollow aluminum hulls as they crashed through the waves.
Conrad, there is no comparison between the next AC cats and the mono-hulls used in '91.* There is noooo aluminium in these babies, they are all high tech carbon fibre composites.* The last stouch off Spain, where they used the precursors to the new class cats was between Alinghi, (Swiss backed, and a cat), and BMW Oracle, (US backed and a trimaran), and made of these composites, and the racing was fantastic.* The Tri won hands down to everyone's surprise, because being so light it was able to fly both the windward hull and the centre hull.* However, its edge came from an amazing aerofoil and adjustable main sail...well actually it was really a wing, whereas the cat Alinghi had a more conventional kevlar type mainsail.* They were doing speeds over twice the wind speed - up wind...!* I can't wait for the next cup.

-- Edited by Peter B on Wednesday 16th of November 2011 06:29:25 AM

Back
Top Bottom