any particular year best for IG construction?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norumbega

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Navigator
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 36' Europa MK II
Hello,

My wife and I are in the market to replace our lovely sailboat (Shannon 28') with some kind of trawler. *Grand Banks or IG?

Are there any years of IG32 that had particular things to look out for...such as hull blistering, rotten core decks, etc?

We've seen an ad for an excellent looking IG32 Europa, 1995. *Any advise?

Thanks!
confuse.gif

Perhaps this should be moved to the Halvorsen forum?

In any case, all I can speak to is our boat which is a 2001.

We have no teak decks. Hull, decks and flybridge sides are solid FRP with no core. Happy with that.

Cabin sides and flybridge deck are sandwiched ply. No problems so far.

No leaks around windows. Windscreen windows are non opening which helps keep the leaks down but you lose ventilation a bit.

We have no blistering (yet).

Gelcoat quality is reasonably good but not exceptional.

Fit and finish seems to depend upon which yard built the boat. Ours was built by Dong Guan Xuxin Ship Yard. Fit and finish on her ranges from good to so so.

Some IG32s were built by Jet Tern. A fellow board member's IG32 Gourmet Cruiser was built by Jet Tern and the fit, finish and gelcoat quality on his boat seems to be of higher quality than ours. I don''t know if that is the case with all the Jet Tern built ones.

dwhatty wrote:*A fellow board member's IG32 Gourmet Cruiser was built by Jet Tern and the fit, finish and gelcoat quality on his boat seems to be of higher quality than ours.
* * * ** That would be my boat and I can't confirm whether or not the quality is better or worse than dwhatty's boat. He's been on both boats so we'll have to take his word for it.
biggrin.gif

I do have some leakage on the port side sliding window that I picked up last year. We had driving winds and rain that are uncommon for this part of the country and that is the first time I've seen the window leak in 5+ years.

I would recommend the IG32 to anyone who wants a well built little trawler.

dwhatty's Boat & my boat

Attachments

• dave hawkins ig 32.jpg
    dave hawkins ig 32.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 147
  • img_2107.jpg
    img_2107.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 129
Thanks dwhatty and SeaHorse II,

Both of your vessels seem fairly new....we're considering mid 90's. I wonder where to find out what yards built which hull #s?

We're in Maine and I have family in San Diego! Nice to know that both coasts are home to IG's :)

Hi,* Our IG32 is a 1983 model,** The construction of the boat appears very good to excellent to me, and it has held up well.

Checking Yachtworld there has been a pretty hefty price drop recently and even the 36' models can be had reasonably.* The key is how the boat has been taken care of.*

When considering an IG or a GB,* here have been a few of my observations.

The price of both are now to the point where if you want a GB you can probably get a deal on one.

There are more GBs available for sale (They built more)

Often the GB owner having purchased a premium vessel, will have kept them in better shape (sometimes not)

GB has a better owners network of information.* IG has hardly any.

All and all the IG32 is a great small cruiser, it is big enough to be interesting but has small upkeep costs.

If I were shopping in todays market I would get a 36.

JohnP

norumbega wrote:

Thanks dwhatty and SeaHorse II,

Both of your vessels seem fairly new....we're considering mid 90's. I wonder where to find out what yards built which hull #s?

We're in Maine and I have family in San Diego! Nice to know that both coasts are home to IG's :)
You can enter the boat's name and/or documentation number at this site and it may tell you the yard that built it as well as some previous owners:

http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/CoastGuard/VesselByName.html

Where in Maine are you?

Thanks Adagio,

We were originally looking at GB's, but an experienced friend said that IG's were a more cost effective option. You're right though, it all depends on the particular boat and it's history. Grand Banks has a charter co. in the NW that gives potential owners a chance to charter before deciding...

Dwhattty, we're in Wiscasset and keep our Shannon 28' at Robinhood Marine Center.

We'll check out the CoastGuard link. Thanks!!

Our experienced friend was referring to GB's being sold perhaps 20 years ago....I checked and the prices seem to be evening out. Thanks again :)

norumbega wrote:
Grand Banks has a charter co. in the NW that gives potential owners a chance to charter before deciding...
Actually the charter fleet is nothing to do with Grand Banks, Inc.* It's a privately owned operation and is where we chartered a GB36 before deciding to buy one.

The company used to be Grand Yachts Northwest but today it is called Northwest Explorations.* Their charter fleet ranges from a GB32 up to a couple of GB52s with just about everything in between.* They are not a GB dealership but they specialize in the buying and selling of GBs and they always have a sizeable inventory.* Their lead broker, Scott Blake, found our boat for us back in 1998. I would recommend him to anyone contemplating the acquisition of a GB.* The company's charter fleet is immaculate.* Their website for anyone interested is http://www.nwexplorations.com/

They do require a certain level of experience before they will charter a boat to someone, but they offer skipper training to familiarize a charter customer with the operation and handling of the boat if they're not already familiar with them.

norumbega wrote:Dwhattty, we're in Wiscasset and keep our Shannon 28' at Robinhood Marine Center.
Have you run across John and Martha Charest and their IG 32 Europa "Journey" at Robinhood?

We cruised down your way this summer and took a mooring at Robinhood for a night.

Hello Marin and Dwhatty,

Glad to have found a personal recommendation for Northwest Explorations....we did see a nice GB Sport that looked amazing, but of course, it sold immediately :)

Yes, we've seen "Journey" at Robinhood. It's one reason why we knew about IGs...beautiful, well kept vessel. We haven't met John and Martha Charest yet....Sailboats are docked at the other end of the marina.

Look us up if you are back near Robinhood....our sailboat is "Samara", but we also have a small lobster boat and love to take visitors out :)

norumbega wrote:We've seen an ad for an excellent looking IG32 Europa, 1995. *Any advise?
*Peter: I have an artcle that was written in 1995, comparing the IG 32 & the GB32. PowerBoats was the magazine and took no advertising so they had no ax to grind, one way or the other. If you PM me with your e-mail address I'll send it to you. (TrawlerForum doesn't allow me to send PDFs.) The attachment shows the results of their comparison but the* article goes in to much more detail.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Sunday 13th of November 2011 08:58:06 PM

Attachments

• value guide.jpg
    value guide.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 138
Our 1981 IG 36 Europa (hull 39) recently spent a month on the hard. Work included repairing numerous large hull blisters, and totally replacing two rotted forward timber window frames, with rot seen extending beyond the window frames.

Here in Australia if an IG lacks blisters you wonder why. I understand GBs are not immune from osmosis either.

Our IG,acquired in early 2010, built by Kong & Halvororsen, had a history of below average maintenance. Even so, several windows showed signs of prior wood repair, others significant recent use of bog (filler), mostly detected by pre purchase survey.

For all of that we think it`s a great boat, the design is timeless,we got twin FL 120s,so much better than a single engine, and we took condition into account on final price. My advice would be look for one with aluminum frame windows.

BruceK- "Doriana"

Our IG 36 is a 1980 ( Hull32)

Lets's see, yes to blisters
yes to leaking windows
Yes to twin FL120's

The above seem to be standard for a 30 year old IG's, plus decks of course, both flybridge and maindeck.

For all that they are lovely boats, not perfect but well thought out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom