Hose Blister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Highland Mist

Vessel Name
Solitude
Vessel Make
North Pacific Yacht 45
Glad I keep up with engine room checks! As a component of pre-start I always run my hands over the hoses to catch anything unusual I might not catch visually. Found this blister as I was doing the check yesterday. Bummed that I have to swap out the hose, but very happy I caught it before disaster struck. Have heard in some venues that many recommend changing out all hoses every so many years - looking for recommendations from Forum members. Thanks!

Attachments

• Blister.jpg
    Blister.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 81
Glad I keep up with engine room checks! As a component of pre-start I always run my hands over the hoses to catch anything unusual I might not catch visually. Found this blister as I was doing the check yesterday. Bummed that I have to swap out the hose, but very happy I caught it before disaster struck. Have heard in some venues that many recommend changing out all hoses every so many years - looking for recommendations from Forum members. Thanks!

Two schools of thought.
1. replace all hoses every 10 years, I think(recommended via a surveyor)
2. the other, as necessary... you found this one via visual inspection.

Last edited:
I too like to check by hand. For hoses that should be pliable I give 'me a squeeze to see if they've either started to stiffen up or gotten too soft.

The Port Engineer where I used to work said 12 yrs from date of manufacture whether in use or on the shelf. I know from experience a lot of hoses will live longer than 12 yrs but as they approach that age I inspect them more carefully and more often.

That's a very good catch. When I bought my boat I replaced ALL of the hoses including oil cooler lines. Most of the hoses were original - 25 years old - some of them very stiff.

Ken

I replaced every hose on Sandpiper at purchase 19 years ago. The boat was 24 years old at that time.

They are still pliable and appears in good shape.

I plan to replace all hoses again next year.

Straight hoses are no problem to replace it's the molded hoses that can be a problem, especially if you own VOLVOs and replacements are unavailable.

After purchasing a boat, hose and belt changes (and spares) should be on the list with oil and antifreeze changes. Don't forget filters of every sort.

After purchasing a boat, hose and belt changes (and spares) should be on the list with oil and antifreeze changes. Don't forget filters of every sort.

and fluide for the steering.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom