Droid Apps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Has anyone downloaded a marine chart app for the Droid?

Moonstruck wrote:
Has anyone downloaded a marine chart app for the Droid?
*Don: I may be all wet but I think John Baker did.

Don,

I have a Droid X and use Navionics on it.* I think it was $20.00 Not too bad.

Keith Olive

Willard 30

Navionics here as well. Works wonderfully. I paid approx 10 bucks....it is a UK Company so it is variable based on the dollar vs the pound. But it should be around 10 bucks...

Ditto on the Navionics app.

Also have an app that shows the nearest SAR/tow boat (Use it to check position of sister vessels when out on patrol. This app is published by Redningsselskapet. Only for Norwegian waters)

Hey, while we are at it. Search "marinetraffic.com" in the Android Market. That is an app....not just a website. It will give you a picture of all of the AIS targets within range(of wherever their receiver is). It is pretty damn slick and real time and works well in lieu of an AIS receiver. I am in no way saying it will substitute for it. But it is a handy little app for sure!!!

Here is a link to it in the market! *As you can tell it gets good reviews!:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.marinetraffic&feature=search_result

-- Edited by Baker on Friday 30th of September 2011 12:28:17 PM

kolive wrote:
Kieth and John,

Does it make a chart ploter or just show the chart? I thought that it could be great for the dinghy.

Don,

Keith Olive

Willard 30

With my GPS enabled on the phone it is a chartplotter should I need a backup.* I can plot routes on it as well.* I have not tried to rely on it yet, but have compared it to my Garmin with G2 and it is pretty comparable in the chart arena.* I hope that helps.

Keith

Willard 30

Moonstruck wrote:kolive wrote:
Kieth and John,

Does it make a chart ploter or just show the chart? I thought that it could be great for the dinghy.

Don,

Keith Olive

Willard 30

*Don, it is a chartplotter in your pocket. *It would serve perfectly for use on your dinghy. *Also serves well when you are OPB and wondering if the hosting captain knows where he is going(backseat navigating). *

I have both marinetraffic and navionics on my droid. Works well.

I just got my Droid Atrix 4G.* I think it will work on it.* That is if I can figure out how to order and download the app.* The Navionics looks very interesting.* Thanks.

Don, it will work just fine. *A close friend of mine has the Atrix and he has it on there. *If you really think about it, for 10 bucks, it is an amazing deal. *I don't remember the sequence in downloading it but when you download and install the charts, just make sure you are on wifi. *I do remember there is one step that takes a significant amount of time(20-30 minutes). *It was either the DLing of the charts or the installation of the charts. *In any event, be patient and you end up with a very useable battery operated chartplotter in your pocket.

Let us know how it turns out!

Baker wrote:
Don, it will work just fine. *A close friend of mine has the Atrix and he has it on there. *If you really think about it, for 10 bucks, it is an amazing deal. *I don't remember the sequence in downloading it but when you download and install the charts, just make sure you are on wifi. *I do remember there is one step that takes a significant amount of time(20-30 minutes). *It was either the DLing of the charts or the installation of the charts. *In any event, be patient and you end up with a very useable battery operated chartplotter in your pocket.

Let us know how it turns out!
*John, is that a one time charge or monthly billing?

kolive wrote:
Mine was a one time billing.

Keith Olive

Willard 30
*That is an awsome deal!

Moonstruck wrote:kolive wrote:
Mine was a one time billing.

Keith Olive

Willard 30
*That is an awsome deal!

*One time charge....great deal!!!

Does the Navionics app have any Canadian (west coast) charts or is it just for the US?

Navionics for the iPhone has Canadian west coast charts. We have found the Navionics charts to be very accurate. At $10, it is an amazing deal.

Last night I ordered a Samsung Galaxy S II, my first smartphone. I should have it in my hands next Monday. I'm definitely getting Navionics and probably marinetraffic. What other boating and non-boating droid apps have you found valuable, useful, fun or essential? I'll have GPS mapping and street navigation with the phone. I plan to add the Kindle app, too.

There are a few I have on mine that I actually use and like.* For night travel to look at charts I use a red light called "Astronomy Flashlight". I also use a decibel meter to measure sound levels as part of a soundproofing project I am doing, it is called "Sound Meter".

Keith Olive

Willard 30

kolive wrote:
*I also use a decibel meter to measure sound levels as part of a soundproofing project I am doing, it is called "Sound Meter".
* * * * Are you serious? A decibel meter? That is so cool!

***** I just googled it and this is what I found.

Sound Meter - Android app on AppBrain

Attachments

• sound meter.jpg
    sound meter.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 49
Very cool tools. Here's a collection of 14 assorted tools called Smart Tools for $2.49, including the db and vibration meters, smart compass and metal detector. I gotta have those!! Thanks, Keith!

From a sound professional's perspective (that's me), the JL Audio app is free and has far more to offer. Check it out.

I have close to $5k of JL Audio "Apps" on board....:-\

Just a heads up....I am battling Navionics on an ethical issue. They have recently realigned and renamed their apps(coverage regions) so if you wipe your phone and go to reinstall, your app is not there....is does NOT exist. I am going back and forth with them on it at this time. They claim the new app has more coverage and features and merits the "extra" charge. I have a very hard time with this since I already paid for the app and it has basically disappeared from the market.

They should have at least offered an update that tied the old with the new. Or they could have alerted their customers of a change in features and asked for partial payment......although Netflis realized this wasn't exactly the way to go. Anyway, I am pretty irritated. Obviously, it has nothing to do with the money. But what is to stop an app developer from selling you an app and then make it "disappear" only to charge you AGAIN when you want it back?????? I am PISSED!!!! Anyway, will let you know how it plays out. I have been talking to Android Market Support and they have been awesome....although powerless. And Navionics has been very straight forward but they have not relented in giving someone like me a credit.

Bottom line, If you have the old app, do not let it go or it is gone and you will be paying for another one!!!!!

Had some fun this weekend with Google Sky Map. It's a great way to identify celestial bodies and constellations in the night sky.

Just loaded Beat the Traffic for road traffic alerts and detours. Does anyone have a better app for this?

Finally got the Navionics app installed.* My first order for the $9.95 version must have gone in during the conversion.* It was charged but not downloaded.* After a little discussion, they credited the account.* I then downloaded the $16,00 and change version. It is dynamite.* Everything from the Bahamas to Alaska.

Now to learn to work it.* No manuel or help buttom.* Biggest problem is how to get back to the cursor location.* All in all it looks great.

John and others, thanks for your help.

Don, to get back to the cursor, just press the GPS button or symbol. I am going by memory(since, obviously I do not possess the app anymore) but I think that is it. Or even "position". Those selections are likely in the menu bar. When you press the menu button at the bas of your phone, a menu pops up at the bottom of your phone. One of those selections above is available and will get you back to your location.

Don, I click the blue arrowhead/GPS position logo on the bottom left corner to re-center on my location. Mine is the $10 version and I'm not sure if there is a difference with the $16 version.

Baker, what are you using on your droid for flight planning, charts and weather? I've heard great things about ForeFlight in iPads, so I loaded ForeFlight weather today for $10, but it was a disappointment. I only displayed basic weather info in a simple format. It was nothing like the full featured app for the Apple products with complete wx, flight planning and charts. I returned it within 15 mins for a refund.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom