documentation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lipets

Vessel Make
Benneteau Swift 42
The boat I'm looking to buy is already documented (although expired 14 months ago)

I called two private agents both want $450 to file the papers + CG fees about $115 (they said the fact that it's expired is of no import)

Do I really need them?

Is is so complicated an average person can't do it themselves?

Or do you know others that charge a more reasonable fee

Just out of curiosity, along with the change in ownership are you seeking a change in home port and a hailing name change? Curious what those fees cover for you.

The boat I'm looking to buy is already documented (although expired 14 months ago)

I called two private agents both want $450 to file the papers + CG fees about $115 (they said the fact that it's expired is of no import)

Do I really need them?

Is is so complicated an average person can't do it themselves?

Or do you know others that charge a more reasonable fee

I too was intimidated at first, but I ended up doing it myself and it isn't that hard at all.

Ken

Doing it yourself is easy.

Paying $450 seems crazy.

I did a documentation once on a boat that had never been documented, it wasn’t too hard. Doing a previously documented boat should be relatively easy. My only concern would be checking to see if there are any leins on the boat. That is what the service will also do for you.

Spot on, I just ordered a Abstract listing any liens etc thru the CG $25

looks like two forms 1340 & 1258 plus a signed copy of the current doc.

This forum is great, saved $450

I paid cash for my boat and just did the documentation myself. It was easier than state paperwork.

If you're financing, or have concerns about hidden liens, its been suggested to get an abstract of title. I wasn't concerned with it, so I didn't bother.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom