Borg Warner transmission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
I have a1987 Ford Lehman 275 with turbo. Yesterday during sea trial I could not get the dip stick out yo check transmission fluid . The knob just kept spinning . How is the dip stick removed to check transmission fluid ?

For a 71 or 72 series...

Once it is unscrewed, it is pulled straight out. Sometimes it just takes a tug. Going back in, it can take a little pressure to get the threads in so they'll grab. It might helo to hold the base.

Note that the system is designed to be measured warm. Measure cold and it'll read low.

the knob just spins and does not tighten ….. it was just spinning so I should have tried to pull on it real hard?? what about tighting it do you push on it to tighten?

Try pulling up on it firmly. Rubber seal might just be bonded to the bore. Threaded rod goes into a plate/nut under the rubber seal. Pull up tee handle and plate rests on bottom of seal and then you should be able to tighten.

When you get it out you will see how it works.

there is NO t handle just a flat knurl knob

A pic of the knob

Attachments

• CAE09885-ED0C-42F1-A4EF-11F929911CA6.jpg
    CAE09885-ED0C-42F1-A4EF-11F929911CA6.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 05F8CF21-630A-455F-B8B2-0CE58338BB19.jpg
    05F8CF21-630A-455F-B8B2-0CE58338BB19.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 47
I'm hesitant to tell you to yank harder, not knowing exactly what you have. Can you take a look at the pictures in the manuals below and see if you can confirm that you have a 70C, 71C, or 72C? Which one of the three doesn't exactly matter for your specific question.

If put the 70C service manual here for you:
-- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C1yPtz3ADHab-Ndy4WgE8zQ1NEM0eSz1/view?usp=sharing

And, I have the 71C/72C owner's manual, service manual, and a couple of spec sheets here (I have a 72Cs in my present boat):
-- https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PTuUfQRyBqaHGVztPRbFX43AoZqyguM_?usp=sharing

Depending upon what year your transmission was made (not to my knowledge model), it might have a little T handle on the dipstick, or it might just be a knurled knob.

In either case there is a threaded rod that connects to the cap or handle and goes down and screws in at the bottom (not top). If you just have a cap, the cap is attached to this threaded rod. If you have a T handle, the T handle is attached to this threaded rod, but passes through a cap. The cap might or might not move with the handle -- but the threads will.

In either case, directly under the cap, at the top of the threaded rod, there is a rubber plug-like seal. The threads can sometimes spin within this seal, but sometimes it spins with them. This seal can sometimes hold the dipstick down even once the threads are loosened. So, once you feel sure the threads are loosened, just pull and wiggle the dipstick out. It shouldn't take crazy strength, but maybe a bit of a wiggle.

Sometimes, when putting the dipstick back in, once needs to push down a bit against this seal to compress it to get the threads far enough down to grab.

There is a good picture of it on page 62 (pdf page 61) of the 70C service manual. There is also some text and a blurry picture of it on page 45 (pdf page 44).

You'll find a couple more good picture of it on pages 5-6 (pdf pages 7-8) of the 71C/72C Owners Manual. (But, I like the picture in the 70C manual better)

The trick is to observe that the threads are intended to hold the dipstick in place from up-down movement, and side-to-side movement at the bottom -- but the plug/seal holds it in place against side-to-side movement at top. But, if this plug/seal holds tight, it can make vertical movement hard, too.

So, once you are sure you have the threads loosened, just pull or wiggle and pull.

Hope this helps!

the knob just spins and does not tighten ….. it was just spinning so I should have tried to pull on it real hard?? what about tighting it do you push on it to tighten?

Do not just pull harder, all you need to do when it spins is to hold the rim of the dipstick to keep it from spinning and then turn the handle to loosen.

Ken

there is NO handle just the knob as pictured and no rim to hold

Twist a bunch to loosen then wiggle while pulling.

Is there a model number on a plate/tag right in front of that dipstick?

I don't have access to the boat as we are under contract and survey was done . I looks like the pic I sent

Did the surveyor note the model?

Didnt engine inspector get fluid sample?

That really should just be unscrew, wiggle, and pull.

Make the new owner show you as a condition of purchase. Post survey counter with that. It is free to them!

If you buy the boat buy a proper dipstick from ebasicpower or halemarine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom