New kid on the block

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ktrayray

Hello my name is Katie, thanks for letting me join this group. I'm a liveaboard in Marathon FL. I own a 36 Willard Vega trawler. I'm hoping to sale and buy a different type of boat more of a walk on and off, I have two schnauzer's and it's getting harder everyday... thanks

Welcome aboard. Understand about getting the dogs on and off the boat. We have a Lab and are having to lift him onto the boat. He gets off fine by himself. Good luck.

Katie how’d a W36 get to Tennessee?
Shouldn’t be really hard to make the doggies walk the plank. The plank could be on the side of the boat running fore and aft.
I’m not keen on dogs so I’d find them a new home.
Don’t think a marina is a good place for dogs either. Best place for the dogs in on a farm running around w kids.
But if you must do dogs you can rig a plank.
The W36 may be hard to sell so far inland.
Get a good sized fishnet to scoop them up when/if they fall into the drink. Not knowing dogs I have no idea how big.

Last edited:
Katie how’d a W36 get to Tennessee?
Shouldn’t be really hard to make the doggies walk the plank. The plank could be on the side of the boat running fore and aft.
I’m not keen on dogs so I’d find them a new home.
Don’t think a marina is a good place for dogs either. Best place for the dogs in on a farm running around w kids.
The W36 may be hard to sell so far inland.
Get a good sized fishnet to scoop them up when/if they fall into the drink. Not knowing dogs I have no idea how big.

If you love the boat and love the dogs, I agree with Willy. Teach them dawgs to walk the plank! They learn easily and they'll ultimately like it. It's just a learning process.

BTW...welcome aboard! (no pun intended)

I have a good friend who has a 12 year old schnauzer that uses the side door of my boat. When I know he's (dog) coming for a visit, I pull the boat close to the dock. He hops on to the step and into the boat. No problem.
1rst photo is a step from West Marine
2nd photo Boat pulled close to the dock so dog can use the side door

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 7.27.12 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 7.27.12 PM.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 7.27.28 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 7.27.28 PM.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 70
Gee. It has been a challenge for me to embark and disembark on/off some boats. Particularly those with high decks. Prefer a deck near the same level as the dock.

On a Willard, you step up one step, down 3 down 2 steps. Same going up. I have two girl dogs and they are heavy, and I'm getting stronger...lol I was looking at a Defever, like the lay out..that's how I found this site.

The Ben Swift has two of these

2019-beneteau-swift-trawler-35-review-3.jpg

I live in Marathon FL..full time..

As was clearly stated in the original post... :)

Welcome Katy. We live aboard and have a golden retriever and a little pocket dog... maltese. We have a 44 Trojan fly bridge motor yacht with aft cabin so main deck is about 7' off the water, 5' off the dock. Our permanent covered slip has stairs to deck level. I built a plank from that to the main deck and have the tie downs holding the boat over close enough to the dock. We are in a very protected marina so not a lot of boat movement while docked.

The dogs adapted almost immediately, and they love the boat life as I'm sure yours do. Does your marina allow a stair?

Dock stair 1.jpg

Dock stair 2.jpg

Dock stair 3.jpg

Dock stair 4.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I have stairs outside, it's inside that's the problem.. they can't go up and down. I need a boat like a chriscraft, walk on same level..

Yes, I have stairs outside, it's inside that's the problem.. they can't go up and down. I need a boat like a chriscraft, walk on same level..

Ok, I understand... thought you were just having a problem with them boarding...

I do kind of worry about the Golden getting older, as we have 3 steep stairs going down from main deck aft sundeck area to saloon... and then 3 steep stairs going down into the aft cabin where she sleeps with us. However, she is 10 years old and in really good shape so doesn't have a problem at all at this time. Hope that stays that way...

Good luck with your search! :)

Hello my name is Katie, thanks for letting me join this group. I'm a liveaboard in Marathon FL. I own a 36 Willard Vega trawler. I'm hoping to sale and buy a different type of boat more of a walk on and off, I have two schnauzer's and it's getting harder everyday... thanks

Welcome. Nice boat. I can't advise on the pooch situation.

Nice boat, what kind is it?

Hi Katie,

If you're referring to Lipets boat it's a 2004 Benneteau Swift Trawler 42. I believe he just purchased it and the add is still on yachtworld with pictures. They are nice boats with the cockpit, saloon and galley all on the same level. There are 3 maybe 4 steps down to the head and berths.

Not sure of the year but they changed to the Swift Trawler 44 now. A swift 35 is now available also.

Lipets, please feel free to correct my info. :) Nice boat btw!

Keith

[FONT=&quot]I don't know if this will help you with your dogs interior boarding issue, but perhaps you might look on amazon to see if you can find a dog ramp that will work for you.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1st photo:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We found this lightweight telescoping ramp that will support 400 lbs.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2nd & 3rd photo:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When we are at floating docks we only use half of the ramp. [/FONT][FONT=&quot](I don't have pictures of the ramp at a fixed dock.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Our canine family members are old, which is why we use the ramp. Our shorter gal can't swim, which is why we use the life jackets.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4th & 5th photos:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This Petsafe Solvit ramp is very lightweight and easy to stow. Here is hubby Dan (with his two best friends helping), stowing the ramp.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here is the link to it:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Solvit-Deluxe-Telescoping-Standard/dp/B000RUJEUU/ref=asc_df_B000RUJEUU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167152134657&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1736612713674478353&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1026083&hvtargid=pla-274504804521&psc=1[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cheers,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mrs. Trombley[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Attachments

• Petsafe solvit pet ramp amazon.jpg
    Petsafe solvit pet ramp amazon.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20190606_173334_007 (2).jpg
    20190606_173334_007 (2).jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 20190606_173340_006 (2).jpg
    20190606_173340_006 (2).jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20190606_175909_006 (2).jpg
    20190606_175909_006 (2).jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20190606_175923_006 (2).jpg
    20190606_175923_006 (2).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 43
The things we do for our pets.

Last year, our 17 year old cat Sailor started losing his strength and when we embarked on our summer cruise, we realized that he could'nt climb the stairs or jump up on to the bed anymore.

Our first town visited was Ganges and I searched Mouats and a pet store for ramps. Everything is geared towards dogs since nongeriatric cats can jump or climb anything so could not find anything suitable. Went to Windsor Plywood and bought boards and carpet remnants.

Built several carpeted ramps to allow him access to his usual places. We had ramps going down from the salon to stateroom level, salon to pilothouse and a ramp up to the bed.

The things we do for our pets.

I have a couple self made aluminum ramps. At the dock, my lab jumps to the swim platform and then to the deck. A ramp makes it easier in old age. The other ramp connects to the swim platform so she can get out of the water herself.

I have no problems getting them in or out of the boat. It's the end side of the boat, it's a pilot house Willard Vega. It's the inside that's a problem. 3 levels of stairs...

How about some info & pics of the boat.

Carl, I'm new to this forum, I don't know how to add pictures..

Go advanced, click on the paperclip, click on browse, select a pic on your hardrive, upload it & then close that window. Click on Preview Post to see if it worked. Here are a couple of Willard 36s I uploaded.

Attachments

• 5812532085_45687249b3_z.jpg
    5812532085_45687249b3_z.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 24
  • 104361_BoatPic_Main.jpg
    104361_BoatPic_Main.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 94
Katie,
Are the stairs wide enough to lay a ramp down on one side? The dogs use one side and you the other. You may need to pull a little on a railing.

Like the Willard pics Carl.
Here's my Willard

Attachments

• DSCF0623 copy 3.jpg
    DSCF0623 copy 3.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 26
  • all to 12-15-09 396 copy 5.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 396 copy 5.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 28
  • all to 12-15-09 421 copy.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 421 copy.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Dogs, ya gotta love them

Welcome Katie.

We have one dog and brought her along on our recent 1700+ mile boat relocation cruise. We were afraid she would not do well with the stairs as she is also getting a little gray. But as the days passed she got so used to walking around and up and down that we had to watch her very carefully to make sure she was not walking the very narrow sides while we were underway. But I'm sure as time goes by we will be making ramps to get her up and down an in and out.

We have a friend who is aliveaboard on a mooring ball at the Marathon city Marina. We plan to go visit him if it ever stops being 100 degrees and raining.

Good luck with your boat search

Attachments

• 20190606_103015.jpg
    20190606_103015.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 27
Katie,
Are the stairs wide enough to lay a ramp down on one side? The dogs use one side and you the other. You may need to pull a little on a railing.

Like the Willard pics Carl.
Here's my Willard

That Willy pushes all of my buttons. :smitten:

I have no problems getting them in or out of the boat. It's the end side of the boat, it's a pilot house Willard Vega. It's the inside that's a problem. 3 levels of stairs...

Pretty much all boats of this size will have at least one set of 3-4 stairs down to the cabins although many have a single level between cockpit, saloon, galley & helm.

Our 6 year old kelpie is still very nimble, although she has gone overboard while underway when trying to access our narrow sidedecks to the foredeck. Her new bulkier lifejacket made her a bit wider than what she was used to. Since then she has decided to use the opening front window at the helm.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom