18Volt/120Volt fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Comodave

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Black Dog
Vessel Make
Formula 41PC
I recently decided to replace my entire line of aging 18V Dewalt tools. I decided to go with Rigid tools because they have a 3 year warranty and a lifetime service plan if you register the tool within 90 days of the purchase. For the 3 years during the warranty they will just replace the tool or battery. After the warranty period is over they will repair or replace the tool or battery if they can’t repair it. One of the new tools I bought is a fan that runs off either an 18 volt battery or 120 volts on an extension cord. I bought one just because I thought it may be nice to have. We have been using the fan while we were working on the boat. With the battery it is really handy because you don’t need to plug it in and look for an outlet. When you move around working just pick the fan up and move it. I was thinking that when we were anchored out over night it would be convenient to have the fan on 18 volts and not use the house bank. I am not sure how long the fan will run on one battery but my wife did leave it on a low speed overnight and it was still running when we got back on the boat the next day. We have multiple batteries so we could run the fan for 4 to 7 days before we had to recharge the batteries. We even have been using the fan while tied up at the dock when we were sitting on the sundeck and there was no breeze. Easy to move it around without the cord plugged in. I have no affiliation with Rigid tools just thought others may like having a fan that will run all night without using the house bank.

This one is probably a 10” or 12”, I have not measured it, and the really nice part is it is portable. It pumps out a bunch of air and the fan speed is adjustable. It is also very quiet on the lower fan speeds.

I am a big fan of the Ridgid battery tools. I had many of their 12 volt nicad tools many years ago. I beat the crap out of those things. Over a period of five years Ridgid replace three batteries and a drill, no-questions-asked, just because they reach the end of their life.

The only caveat is finding a local repair shop to handle the returns and exchanges.

I now have a huge suite of new Ridgid 18 volt lithium tools I bought myself for Christmas last year. Still very happy with them.

Attachments

• RidgidTools.jpg
    RidgidTools.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 76
I use Rigid wet/dry vacs at my home shop and on the boat. I like those too. I used to use Shop Vac brand but the Rigid vacs are heavier, quieter, suck better and last longer in my experience. Harder to find parts though, Home Depot is the only big box store that handles Rigid around here.

I have the Milwaukee M18 fan. It puts out more air than any other fan I've used (of similar size). 5ah battery will last 17hrs on low, 4-5 hrs on high.

It gets used all the time. Heading to the engine room, grab the fan. Still night and the bugs are out in the cockpit, grab the fan. Kids want to go to the pool, grab the fan. I bought it on sale, not really sure if I would use it much. It ends up being used 4-5 times a week at least.

Last year I found that one of my very old Rigid batteries had died. I took it in to my local Home Depot and they simply replaced it. It certainly encourages me to stick with Rigid tools.

Although I have Rigid tools at home, I bought Ryobi tools for the boat. They also have an 18v fan that can be plugged in. We use it so much on the boat that I am going to pick up a couple more with batteries.

Cheers, Bill

I am a big fan of the Ridgid battery tools. I had many of their 12 volt nicad tools many years ago. I beat the crap out of those things. Over a period of five years Ridgid replace three batteries and a drill, no-questions-asked, just because they reach the end of their life.

The only caveat is finding a local repair shop to handle the returns and exchanges.

I now have a huge suite of new Ridgid 18 volt lithium tools I bought myself for Christmas last year. Still very happy with them.

We have a repair facility about a hour away. We can take it to them or ship it to them or take it Home Depot and they will ship it to the repair facility. This is only after the 3 year warranty is over.

I can’t remember the last time I plugged in a drill, saw, or driver. I went with the Ryobi system back when they used Nicad batteries. I still have the original drill but have changed to lithium batteries. Now I’ve got at least 25 Ryobi 18 volt tools. Ryobi now sells a 9 amp hour battery!

Just FYI, Milwaukee, Ryobi, and Rigid are all made by the same company.

Huh, interesting. But then Carnival owns most of the major cruiselines and I'd still pick Cunard/QM2.

Battery powered tools are fantastic for all but heavy duty work. I brought my 18v Ryobi set to the Middle East and the charger was universal voltage. Plus the lime green color matched my boat, which made me look cool in front of all those guys with the white robes :thumb:

So much better investment than the $350 I blew on the 230v/50hz Makita drill I bought over there and wound up selling for a few pennies on the dollar (or Riyal) when I returned to the US.

However the flashlight is really poor, with an old fashioned halogen bulb. Need to replace that with an LED.

Last edited:
Just FYI, Milwaukee, Ryobi, and Rigid are all made by the same company.

Each made to a different price point with Ryobi being the cheapest. Oddly enough in side by side tests, the Ryobi often tests better than the Milwaukee.

Ryobi also makes a much wider range of tools.

I bought my first Ryobi more than ten years ago. It’s one of the old style blue drill/drivers. I bought it for one job because it was cheap. The darn thing is still going strong. It gets used several times a week.

The only Ryobi tool I’ve had to replace was an old blue 3/8” crown stapler. I loaned it to a contractor to install a lot of screen on my porch. It drove thousands of staples and continued to work right through the job. It did fail a few months later. I have since bought the new green stapler and I love it.

Just found a fan that uses the 18 volt Ryobi batteries that also has a misting water pump in it. Can either sit on a 5 gallon bucket or hook up to a garden hose. In the Southwest Florida summer it is amazing

John

We are in the middle of an 8 day cruise. This is the first time we have had one of these fans aboard and it is wonderful. My wife is at a time when she gets really hot and with the 18 volt fan it has been a big help to her hot flashes. It is nice that she can move the fan around as she moves without having to run a cord to where she sets the fan. It is going to be one of the best “tools” that I have in her perception.

I suppose the moral of the story is that the "cheap" tools sometimes are a great value. But by cheap, I suppose we are referring to the lower price point tools sold in the big box stores.

When I ran my contracting company I experimented with the heavy duty Chinese drills from Harbor Freight. They were rated the same power as the American tools, but turns out they still used brushes - old technology. Anyway, they were complete crap.

But there is definitely a place for those really really cheap tools - and that is for your workers who like to use your screwdrivers as prybars and your power drills as wheel chocks :)

I stick with Ryobi. Bought 2 fans at the outlet store and love em'

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom