Replacement of Anode on Hot Water Heater – Rotten Eggs Smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimL

Vessel Name
Lemon Drops
Vessel Make
2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
Hi there,

I have a Seaward hot water heater model HF-2050. Recently the water smells like a bunch of rotten eggs or worse. Their website says to “Simply replace the drain plug with a screw in anode”. The current drain plug is a gate type valve, sorry, no pic. I’m not near the boat right now (2.5 hours away) and am wondering if any of you have solved this issue in a Seaward or other hot water heater. I can purchase the anode easily. What will I be getting into as for as the work of it? I am handy and have the tools. I would just like to know from others what they have encountered.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/651883/Seaward-74556.html?page=3#manual

Thanks,

Jim

Using an anode to replace the drain plug, or valve in your case, won’t do anything about the rotten egg smell. But it will reduce corrosion. The smell is due to sulfur compounds in the water being converted to sulfides by heat loving bacteria which stinks.

Kill the bacteria by filling the hot water tank with a mild bleach solution, let it sit overnight and flush with fresh water. Do this once or twice a year to keep the bacteria under control.

David

The process is really quite easy. I have a Kuuma, it's very similar to your water heater. I have an option of a zinc only, or a zinc with integrated drain as shown in the photo. The drain adds a couple bucks, but I've found a cheap source.

It should be a simple matter to drain the tank, unscrew the gate valve, screw in the anode with a few wraps of teflon tape, fill her back up and check for leaks.

Attachments

• Kuuma anode.jpg
    Kuuma anode.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 173
sing an anode to replace the drain plug, or valve in your case, won’t do anything about the rotten egg smell

Replacing the anode stopped the smell on my "ex" boat. :thumb:

Replacing the anode stopped the smell on my "ex" boat. :thumb:

You know, I have read similar reports. I can't explain the biology or chemistry at work. The water still has sulfur in it, but maybe the mechanism isn't biological, it is chemical. Maybe the anode somehow keeps the sulfur in its non stinky sulfate form.

So try it. Like I said above, at the very least you will reduce corrosion with a fresh anode in place.

David

Back
Top Bottom