Any wheelchair capts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ntm0272

is itt possible, even though i am now handicap, i could still single cpt a 36 ft trawler.....while in the rehab being cpt dreams kept me semi sane 4 the last 2.5 years...i got a couplle more years to get stronger beforre i try...i am 47 now, i can't talk very well, walk more than 50ft, about like someone who suffered a stroke, yes, i am lucky to be alive. not skeered either, even tho ughh my PTSD made jumpy and crowds are a no-go....i look forward to any reply or questions .

Welcome aboard. Hopefully you can and will progress in your recovery. Boating can be a very inspirational experience. Wish you well.

People with all kinds of disabilities including little if any vision, crew a disability organization sponsored sailboat in Australia`s tough annual Sydney>Hobart 600 mile ocean race. Is there a local organization that can help? Someone should know.

There was a guy several years ago who did some serious cruising on his Kadey Krogen Whaleback in a wheelchair. It was heavily modified, with an elevator, IIRC. Are you locked into a trawler? Wondering if a houseboat on a single level would be more easily adaptable? Good luck either way.

It may be possible, but depending on your boating experience, it would be advisable to start with smaller boats, build experience, and then move up. There are many of us on this forum who cruise solo, but it's quite individual as to the size boat each is comfortable with.

Ted

A good friend of mine lost the use of his legs completely from a Jeep rollover when in his twenties. Now in his fifties he is still in the wheelchair.

He owns a Duffy or Bruno 36(??) lobster boat, and has modified it with a hull side cutout so he can roll from floating dock to cockpit. A ramp is built in for him to go from cockpit to pilothouse. From there he gets from WC to pilot house seat.

He did all the modifications himself, with occasional helpers. Also he installed a generator. Somehow he manages to work around his limitations. Very impressive, and also never a complaint.

He can not single hand the boat. Always invites friends to help with the lines. This system works. Friends like a boat ride, and he gets a little help.

We have an annual boat cruise with like 5 boats from Wilmington NC to Beaufort NC for a three or four day gathering each summer in Aug. I usually buddy boat my ride with the Duffy. Good times. Hope to do it again this year.

It sounds like you are not as limited as my bud is, as you have some ability to walk. Even then it will be tough to single hand. Friends helping out is key.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom