ProMariner ProNautic 40amp charger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimW

Vessel Name
CLASSEA
Vessel Make
1988 Defever 41
This charger will charge 3 battery banks . . . Do all batteries have to be the same type? I currently have all lead acid (house (1) and cranking(2)) and want to move to AGM for starting, and later move to AGM for house battery.

Can I have house lead acid and AGM for starting on this charger? If so, at what setting, it can have a “custom setting”.

Thanks, Standing By -

We have an earlier model ProMariner 40A charger. That one only has two settings, FLA, and gel. Manual says to use FLA setting for AGM... so we gradually switched. First one large dual-purpose bank to AGM... then later, the second large dual purpose bank and genset battery. Worked; the first AGM bank we switched lasted about 12 years. The second bank is at about 10 years now.

Your newer model offers more flexibility, so were it me, I'd first learn optimal charging voltages for each of your current and to-be banks (brand, etc.)... then study on that a bit.

If radically different, get guidance from each batt maker. If pretty close, I'd probably choose the lower bulk/absorption and float voltages. Then when you finally get all switched over, adjust your custom setting accordingly.

Do you have a genset? If so, will it charge it's own start battery? If so, AGMs don't self-discharge all that much... so you could consider making more current (amps) available to your house bank if you rely solely on engine and genset alternators to charge their own respective start batteries. Some risk in that, of course, although a set of jumper cables on board (assume diesel?) could be another layer of mitigation...

-Chris

Thanks Captain, so in short, the 2 AMG’s will replace current lead acid group 31’s serving the 2 Diesel engines (starting batteries) then later I will change out the lead acid house battery to AGM . . . Keep the flow rate at the current (default mode) for lead acid then when I move to the AGM on the House Battery move the charge level to AGM setting . . . Just double checking.

Those chargers use the same program for all banks. So, it can be set for 3 banks of lead acid or 3 banks of AGM, but not split. Sorry!

I think your unit offers several pre-set profiles (unlike ours), maybe two for FLA, maybe 2 for AGM... and then also a custom setting where you can name your own voltages. Once you know the recommended voltages for each of your banks, I suspect you should be able to better pick one of the pre-existing profiles or choose your own.

-Chris

Hey Chris,

You are spot on -- butbwhatevwr is chosen applies to all banks, which presents some concerns for mixing battery types, even if not within the same bank.

Sterling, the same company that designed that charger makes a odule that allows you to set up the voltage and chemistry for each output. So the charger can be set to one type, output number two goes to the module and has its own setting for that battery. I

Charger FLA Absorb voltage setting is usually higher than AGM. That higher setting may damage the AGMs depending on the manufacturer specs. You need to know for sure if your new AGMs can tolerate the FLA Absorb voltage of the charger. You need to carefully reads the spec sheet of the charger and the AGM batteries.
On the other hand, not having any spec sheet, FLAs can handle the lower AGM Absorb set point. By using the AGM set point, both will not be damaged.

Back
Top Bottom