Less Rode, Same Scope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dvd

Vessel Name
BOOSTER
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37
A recent dock-side discussion was about using a bow eye for your snubber line. One boat had a stout bow eye about a foot above the waterline with a nylon line eye-spliced into it. He uses a rolling hitch to attach to his all-chain rode. This puts his anchor line effectively five feet lower than his bow roller, so if he's anchoring in 10 ft. of water (not unusual here on the East coast or in the Bahamas) 50 ft. of rode gives him a 5:1 scope. If the anchor line was running off of his bow roller, five feet higher than the bow eye,, for the same 5:1 scope he would have to pay out 75 ft. of rode. This could make a big difference for swing radius in a crowded anchorage.

Nordhavn's and others have used this concept for years, especially some with their bows 10' above the waterline.*But it requires a very stout eye setup, capable of matching or exceeding the breaking strength of the "weakest link" of the rode or you could have a very large hole appear unannounced. To save on 40 or 50' of chain it seems an expensive effort. Plus when looking at the geometry of the swing radii in a stiff gale, the benefits may be illusory.

I think of that from time to time but do'nt think I'll ever install one on my plastic boat. But if I had a metal boat I'd do it. No doubt. Many to most dinghy's wo'nt tow worth a hoot without a low placed bow eye. I'd do it not to reduce the required rode length but to make the boat behave like a lady swinging in the wind.

The Eagle bow is 10 ft off the water, so we been using an anchor bridle that reduces the height to about 3 ft, which is a lot easier and expensive plus takes the strain off the rode/windless.* The bride goes though line chocks on each side and secured to the Samson pole.* The anchor bridle V would do the same thing?***

However, we mostly use the anchor bridle to tow the 19 ft run about as it keep the run about centered.*

On boats that have those eyes it's a great idea. I belive the USCG requires those eyes to be able to handle 2x the weight of the boat pull...as an assistance tower..on recent model boats those eye can take enormous pull straight on...sideways they are a bit less robust.

I'm thinking of adding one to my trawler...just have to have a mega backing plate that transfers the pull to the full length of the stem.

-- Edited by psneeld on Wednesday 26th of October 2011 04:56:43 PM

It is a standard on sail boats with much of a bow spirit for probably hundreds of years.

The lower stay fitting would simply have an extra lower shakle, and a springy line too short to reach the prop.

It is useful , but for really best short scope results a rode rider , that is easy to handle , say 30-40 lbs (the bride can deploy & haul it) is even better.

Nothing extra to bolt on.

For about the same effort a B-moore with stern anchor does even better.

-- Edited by FF on Thursday 27th of October 2011 04:56:19 AM

-- Edited by FF on Thursday 27th of October 2011 04:57:45 AM

FF...you got a better avatar pic there somewhere - I keep having horrible visions that there are flames coming outa your boat.

Peter B wrote:
FF...you got a better avatar pic there somewhere - I keep having horrible visions that there are flames coming outa your boat.
Those are brain flames resulting from spontaneous mental combustion resulting from FF being in the wheelhouse posting or reading in OTDE while simultaneously envisioning* another four years of our current President.
biggrin.gif

-- Edited by dwhatty on Thursday 27th of October 2011 12:13:07 PM

Those are hanging branches from Queen Palms , that are spaced round the property.

The avatar will be different , now that the PH is rebuilt the deck over the main salon is next to get the axe.

Actually the Saws all , and a whole bunch of camber is in the cards.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom