Storage in Ft. Myers area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnfrmcal

We live on the water in California and have several water toys that we enjoy every chance we get. We are buying a trailerable express cruiser (29’) in the Fort Myers area and we are going to rack store it indoors in the area and leave it there so we can visit and explore Florida and Gulf boating. We do not know the area and we’re looking for suggestions for storage. The fancy marinas are quite expensive and we don’t really need a marina to call “home” because our plan is to be out on the boat, not sitting in a marina. Anyone have any suggestions for marinas where the storage fees are more reasonable? The boat is 29’ and will be about 8000-8500 lbs once loaded up.

We will pay the going rate at a fancy marina if we must but it wouldn’t be too bad to save a little money either.

I have a 23' downeaster style that I keep at a storage yard in Punta Gorda during the summer but launch it and keep it at my dock during the winter and store the trailer at the yard. But you are in a different class altogether.

We have a dry stack yard near us in PG, Gator Creek Marine, that will store your trailer for a reasonable fee. But you have to use their dry stack storage for your boat. I know it will hold a 27' Monterrey so something like that might work for you.

Can you easily launch your boat from its trailer? I say that because some can't. If not you need a heavy forklift like the dry stack guys have or a travel lift equipped yard.

I would look for a yard, not a marina. They are often cheaper for what you want. And may be you can get by with a yard with a launching ramp nearby.

David

Can you easily launch your boat from its trailer? I say that because some can't. If not you need a heavy forklift like the dry stack guys have or a travel lift equipped yard.

I would look for a yard, not a marina. They are often cheaper for what you want. And may be you can get by with a yard with a launching ramp nearby.

David

Thanks for the info David. To clarify, the boat does not currently have a trailer. We plan to buy one in about three years when we retire. Until then our plan is to keep it in an indoor dry stack. Our boats take enough of a beating sitting on our dock in the California sun in freshwater. A boat in the Florida summer sun and near salt water is a whole different ballgame, so we really want it indoors. Now, if I could find a facility that stores it on the trailer indoors, and can launch it for me, and if it’s significantly cheaper that way then I’d buy the trailer now and go that route, the savings would pay for most if not all of the trailer cost over the next three years.

Where exactly do you want to keep it in Ft Myers. I can check or you can do it yourself the Active Captain/Garmin website which gives info on all marinas, boatyards and most dry stack storage places.

David

We keep a 27' boat at Sweetwater Landing and it's a first class facility. The employees are always helpful and the new restaurant with pool is a nice touch after a long day on the water.

Now the bad news. It's about a 2 hour trip to get out to the gulf in the winter with all the Manatee slow zones, about 1 hour the rest of the year. If you plan on just storing and then traveling for some time before coming back it's not an issue. If you're going to use it as a home base for day trips it could get old fast.

Good news is since you'd be in mainly fresh water the engine gets a good flushing heading back to the marina. With a cruiser you are also an easy 2 day trip across to the east coast if that's in your plans.

Almost forgot, get 12 months for the price of 11 isn't bad either!!

Last edited:
Yep I’ve checked those, Cape Harbour and Salty Sams are definitely what I would call “fancy” marinas. They are all in the $450-$475 range, which seems like a lot for a small boat. But if that’s the going rate I guess I’ll pay it.

Unfortunately, with the resurgence of the economy and the hurricane from 2 years ago demolishing some areas of the Keys, Fort Myers has been experiencing a growth spurt that has made boat storage in demand and pricing, a seller's market. Dockage has gone up 20 to 30% in 3 years.

Ted

Now the bad news. It's about a 2 hour trip to get out to the gulf in the winter with all the Manatee slow zones, about 1 hour the rest of the year. If you plan on just storing and then traveling for some time before coming back it's not an issue. If you're going to use it as a home base for day trips it could get old fast.

Now that’s great info, the kind I’m looking for. It’s very similar to where we live, if you came here to buy a house and nobody tells you about exposure or time to fast water or depth of bays, you could end up buying a very expensive house and regret your location. I did check out Sweetwater online, I’ve got a list going but I was wondering about slow zones and time to the gulf. Thanks!

Further to the information provided above, can anyone tell me when and where the slow zones are, in detail, along the Caloosahatchee River, say, from the Midpoint Bridge out to the Gulf?

The best answer for that is the Lee county waterway map.Waterways Map | SWFL Waterways

There are 2 slow zones below downtown that are in effect year round. The first is a tight and congested area just before the river meets the GICW. The other is a short, year round, Manatee zone that "just happens" to be near the entrance to the yacht & tennis club....go figure.

All the others are from downtown upriver towards the powerplant where the manatee like to hangout for the winter. Some areas are 25 in the channel and slow zone out of the channel.

Thanks again Spike. I'm starting to get a virtual feel for the area, I'll be there Friday for the weekend to check out marinas. I believe I'm zero'ing in on a couple strong candidates. So here's hopefully my last question...two of the marinas I'm considering are Cape Harbour and Everest Marina. Which of the two is quickest to big/fast water? I'm thinking they are the about the same, given the Chiquita Lock near Cape Harbour and the slow zones getting out of there vs. coming from near the Midpoint Bridge (a little further North) and then navigating the same slow zone on the river. I'm guessing it's a 30 minute ride or so? Also, any input on those two Marinas?

... The other is a short, year round, Manatee zone that "just happens" to be near the entrance to the yacht & tennis club....go figure.
Who says Manatees are dumb? Show me another animal that can read their signs. :hide:

Never been to either marina so I'm no help in that area. As far as your time estimate I think it'd be a toss up between the two.

Sorry we're off cruising the Tenn-Tom on Chasing 80 or I'd offer to show you around.

Good Luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom