Great book to read on board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
I'm just finishing the book "Shadow Divers" by Robert Kurson.* It's the story of a pair of divers who were instrumental in discovering and identifying a WWII U-Boat off the New Jersey coast.* Until these divers found it, nothing was known in the US, Germany, or anywhere else of the wreck, nor did anyone know which U-Boat it was when they discovered it.

It's a remarkable tale on several levels. The dangers of deep-water wreck diving are made painfully clear, the research the pair conducted to determine the idenfication of the wreck was amazing, and the story of how the U-Boat came to be there is equally fascinating.

And Kurson's writing is outstanding.

Well worth reading even if you aren't interested in diving, as I am not.* I read it on a Kindle but I'm sure it's available for Nook, iPad or--- the horror--- as a Jurassic-era printed document thing all bound together with glue.

Thanks for the mention Marin; just went online and looked into the story further - it sounds like a good on-board read, but if that doesn't work it will be coming out as a major Motion picture in 2013.

Thank you Marin, I have ordered the glue bound via. snail mail. Maybe next year I will be able to read it. Looks good cant wait.

Marin,
I like the Jurassic-era printed document thing all bound together with glue.

1. They look cool on your boat book case or at home. I've had several discussions with friends about books they saw on my book case.
2. I just bought 4 used books at a used book store.
Texas by James Michener
The Third Twin by Ken Follett
The Runaway Jury by John Grisham
Total Recall by Sara Paretsky
all for about $25.
Can't do that on a Kindle, Nook, IPad or whatever!

If you haven't read Space by J. Michener you should. A good read about the start of the US Space program.*

-- Edited by timjet on Thursday 20th of October 2011 06:42:58 AM

My wife and I read one or two books a week.* She has a Kindle, but I go to the library as I like reading an actual book.* Each month I pick up 4 books at the library new book section.* I have never venture past the section which is right in the front.** The best part its FREE.* As I get older the print has to be bigger, so I like the larger hard bound books.* The paper backs print is to small.*
We prefer action packed page turner with out to much detail as we both tend to speed read/skim.* I very seldom read the detail dribble.* Nothing like a good book, snuggle up with the wife on a cold rainy day.

I used to think I could never read a book on an e-reader (or laptop or iPad). As an author, I thought physical books were the only way to go. Then my wife got interested in getting an e-reader and after looking at the Nook and trying an iPad I borrowed from work she determined that a Kindle was the best as far as actual reading was concerned. So she got one last year. I immediately took it on a business trip because it was easier than carting a physical book around. When I got home I declared I never wanted to read a book in print on paper again, and I haven't. I bought a Kindle within a few days of getting back and have become a total convert.

Now coffee table books and books dependent on high-quality photos and things like that, yes, the physical book is vastly better (except maybe on the current generation iPad which has amazing screen resolution and color). But for reading a basic book book, I can't believe I had to read the thousands of books I've read during my life so for on a system that's pretty much the same as what the Egyptians did way back when.

One of the major benefits of a Kindle (or any e-reader with 3G or 4G capability, is that when I finished the book I was reading I could hook up to Amazon (for free) browse their bookstore from my room on the 77th floor of the Grand Hyatt in Shanghai or the Radisson Blu in Oslo and buy and download in seconds a new book. For half or less the price of buying the book in a store, if there had been a store, which there wasn't in Shanghai or Oslo. And I can change the size of the type so if I'm on an excercise machine, either on the road or at home, I can blow the type up so I can still read it easily while moving on the machine.

Fabulous thing, e-readers.

My kids keep wanting to get me an e-reader for bday or xmas but so far I've resisted. I think I'll wait till I get a tablet before I try it.
But still like the ole Egyptian way of reading.

The one big downside of reading on a tablet, iPad, etc. is that in a bright environment the screen can be washed out so badly that reading becomes all but impossible. I related the story of the fellow on a plane I was coming home on who was reading a book on his new iPad until the girl in the window seat of my row opened her window shade. The sun blasted in across the plane and where it simply made my Kindle easier to read, it completely washed out the iPad screen and put an end to the fellow's reading.

We're going to get an iPad when the 3 comes out (supposedly early next year) but while I will use it for reading in some situations I will still use my Kindle as my primary book reader.

I agree with you Marin.* My wife bought me a Kindle for my birthday.* I thought I wouldn't*use it, but now I love it.* I*am*buying and reading more now, because of the immediate access to new books.* If they had the more obscure stuff that I like available on the Kindle it would be perfect.**Making books that accessible and inexpensive is*pure*marketing genius.

Lyle***

I'm still planning on giving a Kindle to my GF for Christmas.

Attachments

• perla and me.jpg
    perla and me.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 43
Norwester wrote:
I*am*buying and reading more now,
So am I, in large part because the Kindle is easy to take and because in bed, for exmple, it is so easy to hold.* No more pinning pages back that don't want to stay back*or holding up a heavy hardbound.* We got the cases with the built-in LED light that is powered by the Kindle, so even if it's dark (like on a plane when you don't want to turn on the overead reading light and bug your neighbor) you can still read.

My only*complaint about e-readers is that they didn't invent them fifty years ago.

Marin wrote:
......* or the Radisson Blu in Oslo ......
*Gimme a*shout next time you're in town!

Another vote for the Kindle or tablet. Knowing a few years back we were going to move aboard, I made the annoucement that we would know longer buy anything that would not fit on the boat. It became a running joke, until this year when we moved aboard. Last Christmas my daughter gave my wife and I , two Kindles. They take up no space, we can share books, plus as I get older I can increase the size of the font. I find now, that if I can't find my glasses, I just increase the font and keep on reading. I like what works,

Speaking of great books on board - just received a 1st edition of Robert Beebe's "Voyaging Under Power" from Abes Books - $22 and in perfect condition, with dust cover. Smiling from ear-to-ear.

Back
Top Bottom