Which multimeter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattinri

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
First Light
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 46
I need to pick up a reliable multimeter for general marine use. I believe I want auto ranging and an amp clamp. Recommendations?

I have a Craftsman Model 82369 and it works OK for basic stuff and price was reasonable but forget exactly what I paid for. They are better / higher $ ones but this has done what I've needed it to do.
Just be sure to check the clamp on Amps includes DC as many do not.

Hard to beat a Fluke 325 clamp meter. Will measure DC amps to 400 amps.

Ted

I just ordered a Fluke 117, a really good quality overall meter with non contact which is handy. However no clamp (but not really necessary if you know how.... ac or dc). Use this one strictly for the boat. (have another Fluke at the airport).

My Klein CL700 is a cheaper one, but good one, with the clamp. Also, highly recommended, forget what I paid... around ~$75....

For a cheapy I have a $30 Etekcity Auto Ranging TRMS 6000, auto or manual range which I like and just a great meter for the cost, but poor cables and no case which is ok for me. Good enough to work well and cheap enough to have a few around.

I use a Fluke 115 and have a separate cheapo clamp meter. Works for me. I rarely use the clamp meter, but when I need it, I need it. AC only. Would like to get a DC one, but the lack of it has never really slowed me down.

Fluke makes good stuff. Probably used the 115 for about 5yrs, no problems. A bit pricey, but not too bad. The earlier Fluke got killed on a sea trial when drenched in sea spray, my fault there.

Fluke 323 for AC amps and AC V and DC V.
Fluke 1503 for DC testing, including shore power leakage work.

With those two, you will exceed what 90% of folks have for EL portable instruments.

I have cheap multimeters on the boat and home and have never needed anything except a frequency function one time. IMO expensive multimeters are not worth the cost.

I find my mulitmeter is my personal friend, get one you like the feel of, but my choice has been Fluke, you can decide what features you need.

Temperature probes are great too. Both the fluid probe and surface probe are useful.

Worth repeating the AC and DC clamp capability. Freq meter is great too. Accurate measures between zero and one ohm are sometimes lacking.

A cheap throw away meter is great. HF gives them away with a coupon. I go through a couple a year.

A test equipment toolbox with electrical, electronic and vacuum testers is good.

In a clamp ammeter, get one that does DC down to 10 ma. Properly used, you will debug boat DC systems many times faster than without it. Also smaller jaws are an asset, as you can get them into tight spots and wire bundles more easily. I have a Fluke and an Extech, like the Extech a little better because the jaws are smaller.

Funny that in many years of working on everything I have never needed an ammeter. OHM measure is helpful for sensors and continuity.

To debug earth leakage issues, a low ac range ammeter is great. Very quick to check a dozen onboard circuits once the panel is unhinged. Getting to be more common to worry with this.

The ammeter can be used to trace circuit faults that are difficult any other way. And because the clamp version is non-invasive, circuits can be tested intact.

You might want to sit down and right out all the different types of measurements you need to be able to make. Then look for a meter that will do it with room to spare. Ac and DC clamp is good to have. Also if you need to measure duty cycle or diodes or capacitors. Then choose a meter based on what will fit the requirements.

I do power generation for a living. So I have 7 different meters to cover my daily needs. 5 Flukes an amprobe and a sperry. Plus a couple amp clamps.

clamp-on is a good feature. I've got a Craftsman that works great and i believe has a lifetime warranty. Fluke is good but they're a bit like "BMW"... you pay a lot more just for the name but IMHO they're not so much better to warrant the price hike. its not like these things break easily.

Definitely Fluke. 325 ac/dc clamp amp meter and an old 20+ years old Fluke 83 multimeter that still works great. Says a lot about the durability... more expensive but I think worth the cost for the DIY...

Last edited:
Timely thread. Price of clamp on sure have come down. Might pick up a Klein or Extech.

Mine is a Fluke 87, 20 years old still my favorite.

Timely thread. Price of clamp on sure have come down. Might pick up a Klein or Extech.

I think both are good. I was originally skeptical of the Extech but we have some here at work and they have proven to be pretty good.

Ken

Absolutely get one with a DC Amp clamp with a low and high range DC Amps. For everything else a $10 DVM will do.

One thing you want to keep in mind. Cheap meters often do not have protection for being connected to the wrong voltage. Ac vs DC. Fluke and the better meters are protected.

I've owned a Fluke clamp on multimeter for a long time. It did not have a capacitor test function.

Purchased a Klein CL 800 clamp on multimeter which can test capacitors. Comes in handy troubleshooting generator capacitors.

I use a fluke 87. a fabulously durable product. bought mine off ebay used for well under $100 long ago. nobody has mentioned that a true RMS meter is the the only way to measure a modified sine inverter voltage. A regular meter will measure 120 v modified inverter output as a bit over 90v. I have found very little that won't run on modified sine power other than battery chargers for cell and electronics items. they do work albeit a a slower rate than pure sine power.

Have both Fluke and Harbor Freight (several) They all work as expected. Fluke stays in my elec bag. HF's in various tool boxes. First one I find is the one I use

Back
Top Bottom