Reciprocals - BC and PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsn48

Guru
Vessel Name
Capricorn
Vessel Make
Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
So out here in the brimey west coast, yacht clubs have reciprocal agreements, I'm sure out in the heathen East Coast this is also true. I'm thinking of joining one of two yacht clubs, both are so cheap I might just join both. A buddy of mine belongs to three - yes, he only has one boat. I'm am thinking of joining the one with the most reciprocals.

My question is this, how have reciprocals worked out for you? Are slips available when you request one? Has it been a hassle to get a slip? Are reciprocal agreements really that good or is it something that just looks good on paper?

I don't belong to any yacht clubs but I've thought about joining one to get reciprocal privledges, just like what you are considering. For example, Seattle Yacht Club has about 10 outstations...Roche Harbor, Pender Harbour, Cortez Island........but the problem is that it only grants reciprocal privledges for its main facility in Seattle, not the outstations.. You might check Royal Vancouver and Royal Victoria YC's for their policies. Many resorts, like Echo Bay in the Broughtons have their own YC's that might have reciprocity.

I'm the reciprocal moorage manager for our club and have used reciprocals many times and had great results with them.

Many clubs don't have a person on site 24/7 so it's a good idea to call a few days ahead and see if they have a slot open. Our club doesn't have anyone onsite so it may take a few calls to catch someone at the club.

Clubs on the West Coast now do reciprocal arrangements as "Good until cancelled". This saves the recip managers from having to contact every club every year..

I don't belong to any yacht clubs but I've thought about joining one to get reciprocal privledges, just like what you are considering. For example, Seattle Yacht Club has about 10 outstations...Roche Harbor, Pender Harbour, Cortez Island........but the problem is that it only grants reciprocal privledges for its main facility in Seattle, not the outstations.. You might check Royal Vancouver and Royal Victoria YC's for their policies. Many resorts, like Echo Bay in the Broughtons have their own YC's that might have reciprocity.

As Ken has hinted above, reciprocals are for the home moorage locations only for each of the RVYCs that he mentioned.

Outstations are the jewels in the Royal crowns, so especially in the summer cruising season, get well used by members. If they were to allow reciprocals, they would soon not be such jewels, as always having room at those outstations is vital to attracting and retaining membership.

RVYC has 7 outstations, Long Harbour, Silva Bay, Garden Bay, Centre Bay, Indian Arm, Secret Cove and Cortez Bay.

I haven't used reciprocals in many places, but for fun, have done so at Lahaina and tried to do so at Monaco (not successful, as we didn't meet the dress code, nor had we written ahead for permission).

In the costs of boating generally, my RVYC membership is a fantastic bargain.

I have not used reciprocal arrangements, though some of my friends have and it seems to work well for them.

Have you considered joining a club that you like with out stations that work for you? We have 6 spread around local waters that are fabulous and as a member can be used with less restrictions then a reciprocal. Other clubs often have limits about how long or how often you can visit. If you have a club that you like with good facilities you don't need to worry about reciprocal arrangements, other than as icing on the cake.

I belong to a very modest, inexpensive but active club. Ive used reciprocity at every opportunity. in the past three years my savings have exceeded my dues significantly.

Not to mention the clubs are often in the best locations...and have the best bar.

I'm not close to any "great" clubs, my boat is in Comox so there is a Comox club, a Campbell River Club and a Deep Bay club. Texada will only take members from Texada. Here are the reciprocals for Deep Bay Yacht Club:

Canadian Yacht Clubs

Airport Yacht Club (Vancouver)
Burrard Yacht Club
Campbell River Yacht Club
Canadian Forces Sailing Association (Esquimalt)
Comox Valley Yacht Club
19 Wing Comox Yacht Club
Crescent Beach Yacht Club
Deas Island Yacht Club (Delta)
Deep Cove Yacht Club
Eagle Harbour Yacht Club (West Vancouver)
False Creek Yacht Club
International Yacht Club of BC (Blaine & White Rock)
Ladysmith Yacht Club
Maple Bay Yacht Club
Nanaimo Yacht Club
Richmond Yacht Club
Royal City Yacht Club
Royal Vancouver Yacht Club
Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Saltspring Island Sailing Club
Schooner Cove Yacht Club
Sidney North Saanich Yacht Club
Silva Bay Yacht Club
Squamish Yacht Club
Vancouver Rowing Club
Vernon Yacht Club
West Vancouver Yacht Club

American clubs:

Anacortes Yacht Club
Astoria Yacht Club (Astoria, OR)
Bainbridge Island Yacht Club
Birch Bay Village Yacht Club (Blaine)
Bremerton Yacht Club
Cathlamet Yacht Club
Corinthian Yacht Club of Bellingham
Day Island Yacht Club (University Place, WA)
Eagle Harbor Yacht Club (Bainbridge Island)
Everett Yacht Club
Fidalgo Yacht Club (Anacortes)
Fircrest Yacht Club (Tacoma)
Flounder Bay Yacht Club
Hawaii Yacht Club
Hidden Harbor Yacht Club (Seattle)
International Yacht Club of BC (Blaine & White Rock)
Juneau Yacht Club (website not valid)
Kingston Cove Yacht Club
Navy Yacht Club (Everett)
Oak Harbor Yacht Club (Whidbey Island)
Olympia Yacht Club
Orcas Island Yacht Club
Point Roberts Yacht Club
Portland Yacht Club
Port Angeles Yacht Club
Port Madison Yacht Club (Bainbridge Island)
Port Townsend Yacht Club
Queen City Yacht Club (Seattle)
Roche Harbor Yacht Club (Bremerton)
Rose City Yacht Club (Portland, OR)
San Juan Island Yacht Club (Friday Harbor)
Seabacs Yacht Club (Boeing Co.) (Brownsville)
Seattle Singles Yacht Club
Seattle Yacht Club (Lake Washington)
Semiahmoo Yacht Club (Blaine)
South Sound Sailing Society (Olympia)
Swinomish Yacht Club(LaConner)
Tacoma Yacht Club
Totem Yacht Club (Tacoma)
Washington Yacht Club (Seattle)
West Sound Corinthian Yacht Club (Port Orchard)
Williamette Sailing Club (Portland)
William H. Seward Yacht Club (Seward, AK)
Yakima Valley Boat Club (Yakima, WA)

I use our reciprocal quite often. In the middle of summer it can be tough in some of the more popular stops. Also need to be ok with rafting. Fine for some but tough if you have dogs etc. Overall all I'm happy we joined. The reciprocal plus the monthly cruises make it worthwhile.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom